Author Topic: Been gone a while...  (Read 4240 times)

Offline sirgilligan

Been gone a while...
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:08 PM »
I have been gone a long time. Just saying hello again.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: Been gone a while...
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:07:17 PM »
Welcome back!! Hope all is good with you......
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »
Things are well enough. How are you doing? What about the rest of you all?

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
Doing well...Ghost and I are trying to to some ballistic testing and recording it for the forum, youtube and facebook....
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:39:40 PM »
Links please!  :grin:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
CZ forum facebook
I don't have the link to our youtube site. We haven't finished our testing, still working on getting everything working properly.....It is coming soon though.....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 07:34:37 PM by chfields »
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »
Link doesn't work.  :shocked:

I will watch for updates.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 06:44:06 PM »
Good to see you back!

KEV

www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 09:46:44 PM »
Thanks all.

I made the rounds to the three LGS today. Two had CZ pistols on display. One had a 75B and 75 Compact, both with the safety, the other had a 75 BD (yes, the decocker model.) Prices were below $500.00

What I did notice that surprised me is that the ammo situation has worsened since last month. I was very surprised.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 05:50:13 PM »
Hey Guy!
       Great to have you with us again, missed you, for that matter I have missed quite a few folks here, lately, Sorry been trying to learn how to edit video and slice everything together, and so far I am actually back further figuring this stuff out than I was when I started!  :laugh: .

Seriously, I can put an entire network together out of parts, including building the computers and servers and getting the software installed, but I have not one wit of a clue how to edit. Makes me very sorry I specialized in the hardware end of IT and didn't learn some of the SW parts.

Oh ya sorry, I digress (there's a big surprise! :rolleyes: ) Welcome home, and I hope we can get the stuff we have put together somehow and posted, we have these great new links, to Facebook and YouTube to put range video on, or any other thing dealing with CZ's that someone wants to take up hosting.

BTW speaking of links, I am sorry to say this but the 2 links you have down as your signature aren't working. :sad:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:50 PM »
Well, I hope you are trying to do your video editing on a Mac!  :tongue:

Thanks for noticing the links in my sig being goofed up.

Isn't it an expensive time to be doing shooting videos? I can't even find rocks for my sling shot.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
           Oh heck ya! But there are so many things said about CZ's (or any weapon for that matter) and what ammo works best in them and even the same ammo working differently in other pistols the same make and model and even same assembly line, that I figured as the head guy here it was on me to see about putting the facts out rather than rehashing the information that " everyone knows" and keeps arguing about. And there are lots of other "Facts" about CZ's, Ammunition in general, accessories for them and so on, I wanted to actually find out the truth about the assorted bits of "knowledge" floating around.

It's been my goal from day one when I acquired the Original CZ Forum, to make it the very best I can when it comes to CZ's and everything dealing with them, And some of that information can be possibly carried over to other makes and models of pistols. If anything we figure out can be used by other firearms forums no matter who's or what brand then fine by me. And now that so very many folks have been buying firearms and especially those buying our beloved CZ's, I think it's even more important now to get as much good/reliable information out as possible. There will always be folks out there that buy firearms and don't take any sort of training to use them properly, and if they get any information at all it's from friends or people they have talked to or meet on a range and that information may be in fact not totally correct. They is in MHO just way to much subjective information out for people to find and not a lot of actual repeatable facts. So I want to help all our members get the very best information they can, and if we end up helping other folks with different firearms other than our CZ's then that's all to the better.

So this is what we are doing and how we are doing it. It's taken a while to get everything I thought we needed to get the best information with, and that the information can be verified by anyone that has the gear to do it, and has the least amount of human error in the results.
           I have a Ransom rest which for those that don't know what that is, is basically a clamp/vise made especially for small arms (pistols and or revolvers). It has assorted pads made for specific models of assorted firearms, and in our case we have the pads for the CZ 75/85 model CZ's and one set for the CZ 52. (Granted not a lot of call for testing CZ 52's but they had it so I figured why not and we can use it to test various 7.62 x25 ammunition both surplus and new manufactured, and reloads if we ever get that bit figured out).
          As it turns out the pads actually will work with just about every CZ75 (pre-B AND B) I have, and that's most of them, give or take. There are a couple pistols I won't be able to test, like the CZ 97 or the 97B, the ColtZ40, the CZ 40 B, and one or 2 others which I don't remember off hand. But I can use it for the 75, 75B,85, 85B, SP-01, the Kadet, (no idea why I would run tests on it but that's for way later), the Compact, the P-01, my personal favorite SP-07 (not really a reason to since there are only 6 of them, but what the heck), Can't remember if the pads will fit the RAMI or not, Pretty sure they might work on the CZ83, and I Know I have left off a couple models but even if I haven't what we can test is pretty good number.
              We will be using an Oehler Model 35P Chronograph with the triple screens and a print out so we can get highest speed, lowest speed, the difference between them, and the average speed. Oh forgot to mention when we run the tests we are shooting 5 rounds per manufacture and type per box and we are using 115 grain FMJ's. We are going to be doing the tests at 7 meters, 15 meters, and 20 meters, which I think are the most common distances any firefight typically is?

Also we have a Bullseye Camera System that is supposed to record where each round hits the target, and it doesn't matter how many shots are on the target, the Bullseye system will only mark each shot totally separately, which we will use to see how consistently accurate the ammunition is. This is taking sometime to learn also but I think we almost have a handle on how it works and how well. Since the information is relayed to a computer all the information can be downloaded to another computer and or used straight off the computer we used during the tests, so we can add that to the tests results we are going to be posting here, on YouTube and on FaceBook. and I had a graph board done up professionally to completely redo the side by side size comparison of the CZ's I have and we are using it to also record  how much the muzzle jumps each time, and maybe see if there is any difference in how much muzzle flip there is not only from round to round but manufacture to manufacture. All of this is being "filmed by three cameras all focused on different parts of the tests so there is a photographic record of everything we do that folks can see for them selves. Presuming I can figure out how to get all the videos all in the same place and figure out how to edit and splice them together so it make sense.
          So to recap:

1) 3 Cameras to record/film everything.
         2) We are using a Ransom Rest to hold the test pistol so there is virtually no human factor involved. (there is a lever on the Ransom that goes in front of the trigger and can be adjusted from one pistol to another, that actually pulls the trigger and fires the pistol. So the only human interaction is the person pulling the lever back.
         3) An Oehler Chronograph
         4) A Bullseye camera system to record where each round actually hits.
         5) A Graph to hopefully record the muzzle flip.
         And the cost of the ammunition has very nearly done me in. I'm actually thinking about selling some small amount of advertising space on the forum which is making me way unhappy, because you have no idea how much I truly hate asking for things, help yes things not so much, and money is a thing, but I don't see a way around it, if I want to do everything to make us the go to folks for information on CZ's and all the accessories and ammunition.

So enough about this, If you can think of anything I don't have but maybe should and doesn't cast more than a buck fifty please let me know, so I can start trying to save for it, and if you or anyone that is reading this has any ideas on boards we could or should add please let me know about any idea. you have to improve our forum, because it is Our forum, and I want it to stay that way.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
Wow, very ambition and thorough effort.

When I designed my Gun Log app I was thinking pretty big. I contacted Action Target to see if they wanted to work together to tie a target to an iPad so that you could see the hits marked for you, calculate group size, accuracy, precision, etc. I never could get a meeting with anyone, but did have some good correspondence with a rep of theirs.

Additionally I wanted to write a new type of forum. I know SQL, MongoDB, SOLR, and various storage technologies that would make a modern storage engine that would be blazingly fast. This forum would be tied to the Gun Log apps so that your range results could be tallied and posted to a master page for firearms and ammunition. You could go and see which ammo was failing the most, which was most accurate, which magazines were failing, etc.

As I incrementally rolled out Gun Log it became apparent that people were fairly comfortable using the app to store data, but did not want the app to connect to any services, and not use the GPS / Location manager, etc. The concern that the data could be used by others is very very high. So I promised that Gun Log would never do any of those things and with that promise Gun Log sells pretty well.

But those promises make the future features very restricted. So I made Gun Log +P and Gun Log SPC. GL+P used iCloud technology to keep all devices in sync. Then came iOS 6.0.1 and what I call black December when iCloud stopped syncing and it is not fixed yet. I pulled GL+P off the market because I couldn't sell something that Apple couldn't guarantee would work. Fortunately Gun Log SPC doesn't have iCloud but does have everything else of GL+P.

Imagine if everyone logged their range results and it was uploaded and collated and organized. Someone could search, "Which 9mm pistol has the fewest issues shooting 124 JHP bullets" and a list of firearms comes up, sorted, with how many rounds fired that contribute to this statistic. Or maybe "Which 9mm self defense round is the best in a CZ 85B". The reports and data would be valuable.

I wish you well in your endeavor.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
          Thanks for the kind words, and I love your apps and have from the day you first posted them, but I don't have an I anything so I can't use them, but if you want I don't see any reason why we can't put your product up here somewhere permanently, I think we do that for the UpLULA and HKS Loaders that our member DenStinett modifies and sells. And I think for the gripsour other member makes. If we don't then I'll fix that and make a special place for member crafted things. I have gotten together with the folks at OLI and they are going to make some changes with this forum, one of which is going to be a permanent Chat room that isn't such a fracking pain to use like that last one we tried. And The actual web Page is going to be more actively used now so maybe we can set up a Members made page for you all that craft things for sale. We will need some sort of catchy or cool name for it but I will certainly do it for all of you, as long as what ever it is has something to do with CZ's in some sort of size shape or form. No charge, it's the least I can do for our members to thank them for being members.