Author Topic: Who Carries "Condition One"?  (Read 27255 times)

b5.5dan

Who Carries "Condition One"?
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »
The title says it all. I know many of us here are Concealed Carriers, and I'm just wondering who carries their CZ with "One In The Pipe". When I first started CCing, I was terrified to carry cocked and locked, but the more I looked into it, I decided that most modern firearms are designed to be carried thus.

I have lots of personal info to add/discuss, but I will wait and see if anyone bites.

Discus, Gentlemen!  :cheesy:

norcal616

Re: Who Carries "Condition One"?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:52 PM »
I always carry one in the pipe and i always get the decocker model...

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »
I always have my gun in Condition One, that's why I prefer the SA....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:27:40 AM »
I always carry C1, but the only decocker model I have is the 52. I have all the confidence in the world in the manual safety, even though I know and appreciate the reasons for the decocker. I would own and carry a decocker model; it's just that my firearms don't have them.

The ONLY thing that my Witnesses have over my CZs is the ability to rack one in, manually decock the firearm, and then set the safety with the hammer down. I like that for a couple of occasions. Sometimes when "The District" is coming into my classroom, I have to tuck the shirt in and wear a tie. On those occasions I have a little "planner" with a velcro enclosure for my pistol and a spare mag. It just fits better with the hammer down.

Was that too much info? haha! Carrying at my work really is completely legal, even though that bothers a lot of people. Just not the people who count (Go Utah Legislators!)...  :laugh:

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 10:30:28 AM »
I only carry condition one if I am returning from condition zero.

All my semi-auto firearms, rifles to pistols, are always carried:
Loaded mag
Empty chamber
Safety off

Yes it has its risks.

I run all of my semi-auto pistols as if they are SA only pistols, even though the only SA pistols I have are Browning Hi-Powers and a Browning 1911-A1 22.
My CZ 85B, S&W 659, and Walther PPK/S.

With the safeties in different locations, and different directions, I always carry like described above.

Hammer position with my carry:
The Browning's have very heavy recoil and hammer springs. Sometimes, I will cock the hammer on the BHP so that when it is time to rack the slide it is easier.
Only sometimes, as it is necessary to double check the chamber when handling a BHP with the hammer back.

If I am concerned about something, I will go to condition zero and then set the safety.

If I am threatened I will go to condition zero and the next thing will be a bang. I hope to never go there.

I have no fear irrational fear of condition one, but proper equipment and care must be taken, the safety switch can be actuated, so do not draw with finger on trigger, make sure holster covers trigger.

There is an online report of a man with a holster that was leather, and the holster covered about half of the trigger guard area. The leather softened with use and puckered inward, into the trigger guard. It eventually made its way in front of the trigger and shot the guy in the leg while seated in his car.

When I am in a vehicle my pistol may find itself in the center console, the map pocket of the door, in the glove box, etc. Depends on the vehicle.

If I take a pistol to condition zero, and then back to condition one, when I get to a safe place I drop the mag, remove the chambered round, put round back in mag, return slide, insert mag (BHP has mag disconnect), lower hammer and get it back to Condition three.

Since I do all the same, it doesn't take any thought on what I may be shooting with at the time.

Yes, I could not have both hands available, all kinds of things. Yes, if in a vehicle, going from Condition Three directly to Condition One could result in a stupidity discharge. I am not willing to "what if" myself into the nursing home.

So, I do not carry Condition One, unless it is coming from Condition Zero.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 10:32:25 AM by sirgilligan »

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 10:39:20 AM »
I have a little "planner"
Never heard a purse called that before...  :tongue:

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
No... My "planner" is different than my "Tactical Man Purse"... :cry: :laugh: :laugh:  I should take pictures. That would give me something to do... :laugh:
I will do that. As soon as the baby is asleep and I can safely grab my camera. Stay tuned for completely masculine man accessories for the on-the-go CCW holder!  :grin:

Offline newbuckeye

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 02:00:46 PM »
completely masculine man accessories

Now there is an oxy-moron....!

My 2 rami's, p-07, and both 1911's and are carried C1, but my SW CS .40 has a decocker. 

And yes....Utah is EXCEPTIONAL in their carry laws!
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect their country from its government."  Thomas Paine

norcal616

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
I prefer cond.1...i use a decocker...remeber what we saw in the news in miami about the zombie  :laugh: and the one zombie in md i beleive who eat the poor souls brain...i will never be able to cond zero cuz i never know when a zombie is around the corner...

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 05:24:26 PM »
        Always in condition one no matter what. 2 fully loaded Mags and an automatic out the front Dalton knife. I treat any weapon like it's not only loaded but like it was a live Adder. Forget cocked and locked I allready said more than enough about it in my extremely Humble as heck Opinion :cool: Anyone that wants to be my guess I will not dictate how a person carries their weapon as long as they are not careless, or apparently brain dead.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 09:06:18 AM »
You guys are talking about carrying cocked & locked. Here's my story. I was traveling on I-35 coming back from visiting my mother in the hospital. I guess my mind was on other things than my speed so I got pulled over for doing 75 in a 65. The trooper asked for my license and returned to his car. He came back and asked if I had a weapon (he already knew I had a CHL when he ran my TDL). I said yes I do, sorry I forgot to show you my CHL). So he says you'll have to come back to my car with me. He proceeds to handcuff me on the hood of his car, shoves me in the back seat and it's hotter than hell. He asks where my gun is and I said in the glove box. He pulls out the gun and says do you know this thing has a  round chambered (Glock 27)? I said yes I do. He goes back to my truck and digs through everything. Comes back with an aspirin bottle from my console and asks, what are these little yellow pills? I said it's Levatol for my blood pressure. About that time another trooper arrives and they talk for a while up at my truck. I'm beginning to not trust the law for the first time in my life. Finally after 20 minutes or so he finally gets me out and takes off the cuffs, lectures me for not presenting my CHL and for having a loaded gun, "handguns are for killing people" he says. Listen, I'm 63 years old, bald and have never been arrested nor had anyone tell me that I look like a criminal. Actually I'm a security contractor (33 years) and am licensed with the very agency that pulled me over. So all I can say is if you're driving through Texas, you might have your CHL ready and reconsider condition 1 carry!
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 09:31:53 AM »
                OK That was rude! But thanks for mentioning it. I'll check the rules for carring again before I go visit my daughter in Austin again. Any chance he was new?
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline newbuckeye

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »
If Texas has no requirement to inform LEO's you are armed, then that trouper was wrong to treat you that way, and it really has nothing to do with what condition you carry your pistol.  That trouper needs to leave his personal feelings in the locker room and not lecture you like you were his kid.

Ohio has that requirement, but is one of only 5 or 6 that does. 
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect their country from its government."  Thomas Paine

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »
If Texas has no requirement to inform LEO's you are armed, then that trouper was wrong to treat you that way, and it really has nothing to do with what condition you carry your pistol.  That trouper needs to leave his personal feelings in the locker room and not lecture you like you were his kid.

Ohio has that requirement, but is one of only 5 or 6 that does.

Texas does require that you show your CHL along with your DL. But as I said, I appologized and presented it "before" he handcuffed me. I can assure you, if I wasn't licensed with DPS I would have filed a complaint.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline newbuckeye

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 10:04:16 AM »
Ok....Ohio would have revoked your permit and charged you with a misdemeanor, so I guess his reaction wasn't as bad as it could have been.  I'm not sure if you heard about the leo that got fired up here, but here is the utube vid of it.