Author Topic: How many 40p's were manufactured?  (Read 17805 times)

vegasman

How many 40p's were manufactured?
« on: June 09, 2011, 10:18:38 PM »
I've checked the internet,but no luck. I like my 40p but have had a couple instances of the slide jamming back so hard,that you have to unstick it with a mallet. I bought it new and it has @150 rounds  thru it.  I upgrade to the steel guide rod from cz. The problem still occurred. No barrel to slide interference thats obvious. needless to say i'll stick with my 75b for the house gun. You know I hate new guns that malfunction or need a "break in" period. What crap, 25 yrs ago you never heard mention of a break-in period. At 20 bucks a box i've done all the breaking in i'm going to. My 75b NEVER malfunctioned. Peace and remember the Alamo.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: How many 40p's were manufactured?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:30:24 AM »

Well to make a start at answering your question I would without fail and ASAP get on the phone to CZ-USA tell them what's happening and I can state with all candor that they WILL see that the issue is resolved. What you describe is beyond a doubt a major factory issue and the folks at CZ-USA are stand up folks.
      And as far as the question of how many were made, I am pretty sure the technical term that most accurately answers your question is "A Bunch" The CZ-40 B came about because back when Colt was still Colt and not some other companies subdivision, Colt got together with CZUB and worked out a plan for CZ to make a .40 Caliber pistol for them and Colt would sell it under the Model Name Colt Z-40. Colt wanted CZ to design the frame as a clone for the 1911 and asked for a couple minor modifications to the pieces parts inside, as near as I understand the events; the entire deal was done on a handshake and a promise. CZ went into production with a couple small mods that Colt asked for and started assembling and shipping. Unfortunately Colt and it's crediters (IE Money grubbing Leaches) got into it and Colt lost. And forcing Colt to break the contract with CZ after only approx 800 of the Colt Z-40's made it to the States. CZ had beau coup finished pistols and parts and didn't see the point in scraping everything and losing money. So they erased the Colt-Z40 designation off all the slides they still had and after making a couple modest changes to the design, proceeded to rebrand the pistol as the CZ 40 B, using every last bit of the parts all ready on hand to start off the line.
      Pretty much every single CZ 40 B from that time was actually a Colt Z-40 except in name. Keep in mind that this pistol (under either brand name) was very well recived and it worked like a charm with a smooth as silk triger pull. As Colt Z-40 part supplies ran down CZ was making more to their specs and continuing the line to this day. It still has a wonderful trigger pull, and heft and control and is pretty dang accurate. How you ended up with what you got is beyond me, but every company in the world has had a bad day and things just occasionally get missed. It happens, and I do not gainsay your right to be offended. But please if you haven't allready done so call CZ-USA and let them address the problem.
     Note: Personally I am not in any way enamored of the .40 cal round. Frankly I think it, and the 10mm are answers to questions never asked. THAT HOWEVER is my very own personal opinion. And that said, if I had the money to spend, I would buy a CZ 40 B in a heartbeat for 2 reasons. First off; it's won at least 2 World or National competitions in its class, and second; at least one of the Associations I am a member of (IPSC, IDPA) has a class that calls for .40 cal. And one other thing is I actually own the actually Colt Z-40 (bought because it's a collectors weapon at first but may well start using it) and think it's a really great pistol with compelling design work and I would like to buy a CZ 75 DAO .40 S&W, and a CZ 40 B just to say I own the set. Just because you may not be fond of a certain part of a collection, thats no reason to pass up owning it, after all it is part of the collection and adds a certain Je ne sais quoi.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 12:39:07 AM »
Well, I think that they designed the 10mm for those times when you need a tactical nuke that you can fire from a small arm.  :cheesy: I don't own any 10mm arms, but I think it's a sweet (if essentially pointless) round.
I do, however, have 2 .40 S&W firearms, and I really like the power of a .45 with the manageability of a 9mm. That being said, my .40 is pretty "snappy", and if I had the opportunity to fire it from a CZ firearm I would trade my G27 for it in a heartbeat. No questions asked.

When you get your problem sorted (and CZ hasn't built the reputation for outstanding service on outstanding arms for no reason), I have no doubt you will love that pistol.

Good hunting!

vegasman

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:32:10 AM »
 I don't have any qualms about CZ's quality,or I would'nt own 3 of them. I have'nt shot it much [unemployed},so i'll deal with it during better times. I seen on other forums people having a similar issue with the p. Maybe I did'nt lubricate it properly or limp- wristed it etc. It was embarrasing because it happen when I was qualifying for my armed guard card. naturally I had to hear comments from the resident gurus [retards] about glock this ,glock that. If i wanted a plastic pistol I'd have got a squirtgun. Whatever their selling is always infinitely better than your pos. 3/4 of the gunshops here have attitudes.

Offline larryh1108

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:55:30 AM »
I am new to this site. I am here because I've come to discover and then love the CZ line. I am turning into a CZaholic. It started with a PCR. I was at a gun show and it's beauty intrigued me so I had to pick it up. From that moment on, I was hooked. I decided in less than 3 minutes that it had to be mine. This is how she looked when I got home. It also came with the factory grips but being a 1911 guy the wood caught my eye initially.

When I shot her the first time I was dead on. It felt good at the gun show and fit my hand but shooting it was what hooked me on these pistols. It was more accurate from shot 1 than by BHPs and felt better, too. Of course, I had to tweak the looks and got different grips and found some mag bases that I liked better than the factory base plates. When I was done, I was a happy camper. Here is how she looks today. I got checkered CZ thin grips. A match made in Heaven. I still love shooting my BHPs but I now reach for my PCR first.

Thus my quest began for my next CZ. I've had many .40S&W pistols in the past and could not warm up to the round. I had a Glock and I also had a 1911 commander size .40S&W and I was all over the target. I persisted thinking that practice would make me shoot tight groups but I never could. It was a mismatch and I never warmed up to the round. I sold all my .40s and figured there were enough other rounds to keep me happy.

I then came upon a CZ40P. I loved the low bore axis of the PCR and I believe that, combined with the slide being inside the frame rail, was why the felt recoil was barely anything on the PCR. I still wanted a .40S&W because it is a popular round so with the good deal and being the big brother of the PCR (alloy frame) I decided to give it a try. If I didn't like it I could sell it.

The first time I shot it I was in the 10 ring. Never before could I put shot after shot from the .40 in a tight group. It quickly became my favorite shooter, including my 1911s. The felt recoil with the 180gr ammo was very similar to the .45ACP in the 1911s.  It was more of a push than a snap and I'm sure it's because of the design more than anything. This CZ40P is a dream. I didn't like the clunky look with the wide magazine base pads so, of course, I had to tinker. It's a light, compact gun that added way too much to the grip and if I had a complaint then that would be it. I was on a quest to find the right mag/base combo for my new gem. As usual, the furniture had to be wood. It's what I like. CZ makes excellent stock grips for shooting but I also like the beauty of the firearms as well. Here's my CZ40P before I toyed with it.

Here's the 40P after I added some wood.

Nice but still clunky. The extended mag bothered me so I bought various mags and baseplates from the CZ store and went to work. I also knew this was my new home defense gun so I bought an ArmaLaser for it as well because the one made for the Taurus PT series fit it perfectly. I finally came up with a mag/base combo that I could live with. Still 10 shot mags. I am very happy. I've only shot it once since the conversions but was very happy. I hope to put 500 or so downrange before I call it safe for duty. I did buy the Wolff mag springs since the factory springs caused a few failures to feed but since then they've been fine. I do not want the steel guiderod. I believe that if it ain't broke, you don't need to fix it. Here's my new .40S&W as it sits today. I cannot believe I found a gun in the 40S&W caliber that I love and shoot well. However, the CZ line is the best kept secret in the gun world. Tomorrow I pick up my CZ70 just because. I already ordered Marschal grips for it which cost almost as much as the gun itself. Once it's photo ready I'll post some pics. Meanwhile, if you have a chance to get the CZ40 series then just do it. You won't be sorry. I promise.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:06:30 PM by larryh1108 »

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Glad to have you! Nice CZs. I think we are all CZ-aholics here. Never enough.

Welcome to the forum, and we look forward to having you take part in the madness!  :cheesy:

vegasman

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
Good job on dressing up your pistols! Did you clear-coat them or are they just shiny from oil? Anybody ever try clear coating over poly-coat?

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Anybody ever try clear coating over poly-coat?

I am very interested in an answer to this. In my time as a "Volkswagen Guy" I have done a LOT of spray painting. I'm pretty good at it. However, I would be hesitant to do any rattle-canning on a pistol.

Offline larryh1108

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:46:03 PM »
That's Gunslick wipes which are terrific. It's like tire shine for guns for pictures. of course, before I put them back I wipe them down but they do keep the finish like new.

As for the clearcoat question, I have done a BHP Inglis in a clearcoat made for guns from Brownells. The pics below show how I stripped the epoxy like finish off the Inglis by hand and the next picture shows it clearcoated without any other finish. Clearcoat over steel. I wanted to see how it held up. 2 years later it is still like the day I sprayed it on. The muzzle didn't burn off (I thought it would) and the frame and backstraps didn't rub off from the sweat and repeated handling. I was very surprised at how tough it is. I would use it over another finish if I needed to without worrying.

AFTER

The spots on the front grip strap were from the preparation. It has to be 100% degreased and no water spots or it will discolor a bit
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:56:42 PM by larryh1108 »

vegasman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
I don't think there is a substitute for a glossy blue finsh;as far as looks go. But on aluminum I prefer poly-coat to anodizing. Had a couple S&W 39"s that the frames turned purple on.It was worse then seeing my girlfriend get fat. Could'nt do anything about my girlfriend, but sold those 39's forthwith. I don't know if glossy poly-coat would end looking like one of those pos "marksman" bb pistols. Nothing worse than having to undo a great "idea". Eureka! semi_gloss. Please somebody else try this first.

vegasman

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »
Larry, why did you do that to John Browning last pistol? Hes spinning in his grave.If there is a afterlife and you meet JOHN BROWNING he will undoubtably smite you.Severly. And often.

Offline larryh1108

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
Mr Browning would give me a high five considering this is how I got it.  :shocked:

I think he'd approve.

vegasman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »
No disrespect meant Larry. Its your gun to do what you want with it. What do you think of this?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline larryh1108

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
No disrespect taken. Good natured ribbing is part of the fun here. As for your pic? Well, it's tiny, that's for sure. I have no idea why a 1911 would be marked Glock. I would have a different color pattern but all that really matters is how it shoots. Being a 1911 I bet it shoots a lot better than it looks. If someone gave it to me I'd gladly take it.  :wink:

vegasman

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 06:00:09 PM »
I googled "painted guns" to bust your balls.There is some weird schemes out there lol.

[attachment deleted by admin]