Author Topic: CZ 712 - First Shotgun, First Time.  (Read 2294 times)

Offline frgood

CZ 712 - First Shotgun, First Time.
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:08:25 AM »
A week ago I purchased my first CZ 712 shotgun hoping to, someday, get into 3-gun and Trap. A week later (today), I feel I made, again, the right decision with CZ. I swapped the Stock for the ATI Adjustable (may switch back to the original wood) and added a 4 shot extension from Nordic

On Sunday, I saw a father and son over at our shotgun range and decided to head over to watch and pick up some pointers. These incredibly helpful and friendly gentlemen told me to grab my gun and come on over. The son, Ronnie, showed me how to handle the firearm, point and shoot. Dad, took some time to teach me how to setup the clays and get the 'thrower(sic?). to function. They did a mini-orientation on the range, safety and use.

We then fired a single round to ensure function, then (in my handgun pattern), I load only two shots and work out the basic operation of how the gun cycles.
Then we're off to the races. Suffice to say, I have a new sport to burn the hole in my pocket. TRAP IS FUN. INSANELY FUN. I hit a few and missed a few more :cool: .  The gun cycled the 2 3/4 8 shot loads admirably, I was given every opportunity to miss without a failure. Time and time again the clays flew and reliably the CZ 712 fired. Hit and misses I had a great time.

Ronnie and I swapped guns and I played with his Remington Pump. After using the CZ his grin told me that it was going to be his next gun.

Later I headed over to the plinking range to fire a few slugs. 5 shots, 5 dead on soda can flew with a 4th of July cheer from the crowd.

Next step? learn the sight picture to hit flying clays - A challenge worth taking.

Offline frgood

Re: CZ 712 - First Shotgun, First Time.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
addendum;

It helps to read the manual  :tongue: .

The more experienced shotgunner's at the range were trying help me work out the 'order of operation'. It is so much easier to work things out, particularly when dealing with live ammo, when all the advice givers were not about.

This morning, I read the manual. Then headed to the range. I was able to execute the reload cycle with great ease as i spent an afternoon shooting clay's.

There is a deep seated memory and joy to the entire day. As a child, several of the members let us take a break from our .22 target practice and play on the trap and skeet range. I could not hit anything and that has bugged me to this very day. Now that is all behind me. It was nice to get a rhythm and watch the clays shatter. 

With each pull of the trigger My love for the 712 grows more and more.

Radom

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »
The manual that came with my 712 pretty much sucks.  It's about the size of a postcard, and not much thicker.  I got one of the very first CZ-USA imports.  I would have had a heck of a time field-stripping it if I hadn't been familiar with the older Franchi designs.  Looking at the CZ-USA website, this exact variant does not seem to be imported anymore.  Mine takes Benelli choke tubes, for instance. 

I mostly use an Ithaca 37 for upland hunting, due to the weight.  Obviously, I don't use an Ithaca for trap!

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:38 AM »
heh heh. It took a lot of squinting. Also they alternate pages for each model within each section. For example, Unloading - O/U, SxS, Semi  Loading- O/U, SxS, Semi, ...

If I had young eyes, they'd be old now.