Author Topic: Torn between 2 guns...  (Read 9556 times)

Tech23

Torn between 2 guns...
« on: March 28, 2011, 01:46:36 PM »
I have been shooting IDPA for a few years now with an XD 45 and I want to start shooting USPSA.  I am getting ready to buy a CZ 9mm for and am torn between two models.  I am looking for some opinions from those on here as to what model you think might be best.  I want to stay with 9mm, and both guns are the same price.
CZ SP-01 Shadow Custom and the CZ SP-01 Shadow Target…I only find one real difference on their site and that is the grips.  Both say they get Hobdell’s custom trigger job.
Any info or help would be appreciated…thanks.

Tech23

Re: Torn between 2 guns...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Sorry, I just seen a place on the forum about posting which gun I should buy...So if a moderator can and will move this to that location, I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Offline Squirrelly85

• I'm always left of the enemy
  • I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 09:12:49 PM »
Looks to me to just be some minor cosmetic differences.  Both come competition ready, custom trigger, hammer, and sights.  I think the only question you would need to ask is whether you would want to have a 75/85 frame or an SP-01 frame.  I like the SP-01 frame personally, but I do want to get an 85BD in the future as well.  If I were you I'd get the Shadow Target, it seems that you get more bang for your buck.
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

The Only Easy Day, Was Yesterday!

Tech23

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 09:35:35 PM »
Thanks, what is the difference in those frames?

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 09:47:54 PM »
I'm sorry, I thought I read that you wanted to get a shadow and a shadow target, not a shadow custom and a shadow target.  My bad, looks like the only difference is if you want to have a duo tone gun or all black gun.  The grips are a simple swap, I personally have shot with both coco bolo grips and those aluminum thin grips and I still prefer the standard rubber grips. 
But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and provide new Guards for their future security.

Tech23

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
Sweet, I thought it was all cosmetic differences...but wanted to make sure.  I think I like the look of the Shadow Custom better.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:56:57 AM »
I like the duo tone too. But I've heard it scratches real easy, especially coming out of a holster.  It's like a marine coat that goes on shotguns. 

Tech23

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »
Hmmm...something to consider.

Offline Squirrelly85

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 02:36:19 PM »
Yeah, ask around and see what others who have the duo tone say and how they like it.  That's just what I've heard about them, but it's not going to stop me from getting one however.

Tech23

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
Yeah will do.  Nice avatar, BTW!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »
      Your post is just fine where it is, you weren't asking what anyone thought they were worth just what the differences were/are. If I didn't want to protect my members from serious misunderstandings between what something should cost for sale and what it did sell for I would delete that entire post and let everyone take their chances getting good info.
Honest to god I have no idea how to word that any better. You want to buy a gun and wonder what it's worth then sure ask. Just give as much info as you can and hope someone can help you. BUT seriously folks there are SO many different categories and conditions of weapons that seriously impact the potential value that short of asking an auction house expert you get someone you  know that would think or state flat out what the weapon is worth and when you go to sell it and get less and maybe even a lot less you are going to be upset and blame the person that gave you the guesstimate. Then there is hard feelings and one or both of you are going to leave the Forum bitter. I would really rather that not happen. If anyone can explain that better in simpler words I swear I will post it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Tech23

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
I may not have been clear enough.  I know both these guns basically cost the same...but was wondering if there were any differences between them that might make one better than the other for shooting USPSA competition.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
     I have a Matched set of CZ Shadow Custom Compentition that I got so I could try my hand at IDPA. I just spent last Saturday running about 9 different ammunition variations through them for basic ballistic testing. I belong to IDPA, IPSC, Steel and a couple of other Shooting organizations, basically because the range I belong to seems to play host to just about every shooting competition event around.
     Frankly the rules for each class have a tendency to confuse me sometimes because a pistol that is just fine for certain events in any class may not be acceptable in another class in the same organization. IPDA has about 3 different categories to compete in and as near as I can tell if you want to shot in all three styles then you need three different pistols. I don't know anything about the group you want to compete in so I don't know if they have the same type of rules. I own as I said Custom Competitions, I also own 1 off the shelf Shadow and a  Shadow, They all fill my hand, they are all a tad heavy which to me means I have a better change of holding on target. What I do not own is a Shadow Tactical so I can't say what makes it different from the custom.
    The only thing I can think to offer as advice is to print out the specs side by side, along with the  USPSA competition rule book and see which is the best choice to fit the rules under which you have to compete in. No offence, you probably allready did that, but sometimes the obvious slips past us so I figure it can't hurt to mention it, and just know that I meant no disrespect to you in saying that.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Tech23

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 01:00:22 PM »
    I have a Matched set of CZ Shadow Custom Compentition that I got so I could try my hand at IDPA. I just spent last Saturday running about 9 different ammunition variations through them for basic ballistic testing. I belong to IDPA, IPSC, Steel and a couple of other Shooting organizations, basically because the range I belong to seems to play host to just about every shooting competition event around.
     Frankly the rules for each class have a tendency to confuse me sometimes because a pistol that is just fine for certain events in any class may not be acceptable in another class in the same organization. IPDA has about 3 different categories to compete in and as near as I can tell if you want to shot in all three styles then you need three different pistols. I don't know anything about the group you want to compete in so I don't know if they have the same type of rules. I own as I said Custom Competitions, I also own 1 off the shelf Shadow and a Modified Shadow. They all fill my hand, they are all a tad heavy which to me means I have a better change of holding on target. What I do not own is a Shadow Tactical so I can't say what makes it different from the custom.

The only thing I can think to offer as advice is to print out the specs side by side, along with the  USPSA competition rule book and see which is the best choice to fit the rules under which you have to compete in. No offence, you probably allready did that, but sometimes the obvious slips past us so I figure it can't hurt to mention it, and just know that I meant no disrespect to you in saying that.

I have shot IDPA for a number of yrs now with my XD 45 adn for a little while with a CZ75 P01 I had (loved that gun).  I am now wanting to do the USPSA and have printed out the specs on the two guns...but did not get to the point of printing out the rules yet, thanks for that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:03:00 AM by GhostWarrior »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
     I don't know if I ever will be able to compete in much especially IDPA, Both knees are mostly gravel and torn ligaments, and my left heel was crushed and along with fixing it they fused the ankle, So running, ducking, droping, rolling, diving and kneeling are going to make things right intresting. lol But I'm still going to find something to compete in.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:05:04 AM by GhostWarrior »