Author Topic: what 527 do i have?  (Read 4121 times)

jollyscotsman

what 527 do i have?
« on: June 14, 2014, 05:06:44 AM »
Hi all,in looking for some idea as to what version I have,the stock is of the light coloured type,like beach wood,it has a slight cheekpeice,the action is marked cz 527,brno arms factory,proofed in 1990,22inch barrel,1/12 twist,.223 callibre,the trigger is a single stage,not set,and the blade is of the thick "wire" type,also the trigger unit comes away from the main action,the sear is in the main action,don't know if this is the case with more modern 527,s,i only paid 200 sterling for it,It's in super condition,and is a total tack driver.Thanks in advance for any help,Alan.

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: what 527 do i have?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:23 PM »
jollyscotsman

With the cheekpiece it is obviously not an American model and possibly too early for that in any case. I imagine that it is actually a Brno Fox. You will probably get the best and quickest answer by writing to Edgar brothers, the U.K. agent.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

jollyscotsman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »
Thanks for your reply sir,could it be the fox model even though it has cz 527 stamped at the chamber on the barrel.

Offline ZG47

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 06:39:28 PM »
Thanks for your reply sir,could it be the fox model even though it has cz 527 stamped at the chamber on the barrel.

The Fox model (as I recall) was the .223 Remington capable update, following on from the update to take .222 Remington BUT still equipped with double-set trigger.

jollyscotsman

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:50:53 AM »
Thanks again,the trigger is a single blade,single stage,not set,I do think this setup was avAilable in special order I thk,,, :rolleyes:

Offline ZG47

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »
Thanks again,the trigger is a single blade,single stage,not set,I do think this setup was avAilable in special order I thk,,, :rolleyes:

Thinking back, that may be right. it actually occurred to me after my last post but I had other things to do than going through my reference library.

Looked up Rifles of the World 3rd ed., 2006 by John Walter. He describes the 527 as the Fox and says that it replaced the ZKW465 circa 1990, which makes sense because I remember heavy promotion of the new Brno .223 1989-90 by a (supposedly) discount gun shop in our country. They even had a popup shop in our city for a short time. Still double trigger though for all imports to this country.

jollyscotsman

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to look that up bud,,appreciated, :cheesy:,it sheds some light in my little mystery.cheers.