Author Topic: Hello from Northern Utah!  (Read 4196 times)

b5.5dan

Hello from Northern Utah!
« on: June 06, 2011, 06:00:12 PM »
Hello all! I've been lurking around for a while... I thought I had an account but my log-in wouldn't work. I know I wasn't sanctioned, because I'm always on my best behavior.  :wink: Anyway...
My name is Dan, and I'm a high school teacher here in Ogden, UT. I've only been shooting for about 4 months, but I got bit by the bug hard. This CZ 83 was my first firearm (I've acquired a "couple" more since then), and I have loved it.

Anyway, I tried to log in to try and find out why the Ol' Girl gave me an 85% FTF/stovepipe at the range today, so I'm off to look around. In any event, I hope to get to know the fine people here, and someday being able to contribute. Thanks a lot!

Dan

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Hello from Northern Utah!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
 b5.5dan
      Welcome to the Forum! Most everyone bets the "Bug" after getting a chance to shoot any CZ, lol so we are glad to have someone else join the party. We love having new members. And that is a very nice pistol you have, I have the 82 version and it's not only fun to shoot it makes a great pocket weapon, or backup. Why you got so many FTF/Stove Pipes I am not sure. Did you change ammunition (some new mfg. possibly) this time out? About the only thing I can think of to cause repeated problems is either there is something wrong with the ammunition, but more likely there is a problem with your firing pin and or spring.
           I believe someone with more experience with an 83 and or knowledge of gun smiting in general can help you better. We have a bunch of great folks here happy to help and a lot smarter than I am. (Actually according to my wife our cat is smarter than I am  :laugh: ).
      You could also call WWW.CZ-USA.com and chat with their gun technicians, they are great people and very helpful but every once in a while you may have to be patient trying to get through. BTW you didn't mention wet her you bought your 83 new or used. That may help narrow down the problem.
      In all fairness, the site you were a member of was/is possibly www.CZForumsite.info.
      This one got started because I bought the CZForum.com Domain so I could start this one, because I wanted to try a different way to layout that went in a slightly different way. Make no mistake I am NOT in competition with the other forum. This is not and never has been in my opinion a contest as to who's the best or right or wrong. So if you want to try your old log in on their site, please feel free to and know you are always welcome at this one anytime you want to stop in and say hello.
       Everyone here is welcome to contribute knowledge, pictures, and especially questions anytime they want. We all can learn something new or remember something old we may have forgot about.
      So once again please be welcome and we look forward to your participation.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:08:32 PM »
Thanks for the welcome! This is a great forum and I look forward to being a part of it.

I received the pistol used from my mother and her husband in March of this year. I had fired a couple of shotguns and .22 rifles, but this was my first handgun ever. I was given a choice between the 83, a Star 9mm, and a couple of revolvers. I could have gone for more firepower, but I really just preferred the style of the CZ. So while I know it was taken care of, I am the second owner. I posted in my other thread that the extractor was pretty gummed up, even though I kept the rest of the pistol very well-cleaned and properly oiled. I had a hard time getting down in there, so I kind of "flushed it out". I'm sure it's nothing serious. I'm not sure how much she fired it, but I know it was her ccw, and I have run a few hundred rounds through her.

I can't wait to get back out to the range on Wednesday!

Thanks again for the welcome. And as I said, in spite of my lack of experience, I hope to be able to contribute to the forum!

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 10:21:27 PM »
We are seeing more interest in the CZ82 and Cz83 than usual.

The poor economy but excellent prices on the surplus police and military guns..
are probably the reason for all the posts on various forums.

A superb way for old or new shooters to get into the quality and reliability
of CZUB firearms, at a budget price.

Gad to have you and everyone else with us on CZF as we surge into Summer.

KEV

www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 10:25:09 PM »
Damn... Does that make me a bandwagoneer?  :cheesy:
I think one thing that appeals to me so much about these is that as a history buff (and history teacher), they just scream Cold War to me... haha! And at exactly the same size, it feels at least 2 million times better in my hand than my Glock does...

I wish I could afford a CZ rifle...

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
       Well that kinda, sorta, explains the FTF's and the Stove Pipes, well at least the stove pipes. And yes that part is a real bear to get at. Their is two solutions you can try, One is that you pop over to your favorite gunstore and see if they sell a special cleaning kit. It only has about 3 brushes in it, All made with Brass or Bronze bristles, and each is tapered one of them is taper to a point. Those should help a lot at getting into those had to reach places. The other thing I would suggest is pick up a can or Synthetic Gun Scrub< or Winnchester's Gun Wash and use it with the little red pipe to get at the gunk. Then go outside and use a can of compressed air to see if that will blow out what ever the Gun Wash and the tapered brushes missed.

This bit is strictly a personal opinion but a lot of folks agree (sort of a running gun battle between the use or don't use crowd). BO NOT USE WD40 Anywhere on your weapon. The theory being that because it's a penetrating lubricate it can migrate between the space around the primer and kill the primer. No primer no boom, no boom, oops at the wrong time and place  :laugh:

The other bit about the FTF's, if they still happen after you give everything another bath, then I still think it's the fireing pin and someone will need to look at it to be on the safe side.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 11:43:21 PM »
Great advice. I will know in 48 hours... Man... I wish I lived in the country. I hate having to wait to shoot.

On the other hand, if I could shoot every day I would probably be living in a shack (surrounded by boxes and boxes of ammo). Perhaps I should look into reloading...

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 02:33:30 AM »
Dan:
Just caught your post
Haven't been on much, as I drive truck and have very little 'pooter' time available
See you're in Ogden
I'm not that far away (when I'm home) in Springville
I run mostly out of N Salt Lake
I too love the Utah gun laws
Being from SoCal, this is like a dream
Be safe, Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

b5.5dan

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
So you are about 80 miles south of me?! That is not far enough to keep us from getting together sometime! I like to shop at Gunnies... I got my 1911 there just a couple of months ago. Are you a member of the Utah Concealed Carry Forum? I guess they have BBQs from time to time. We should definitely go shoot at some point.

Be SAFE on the road! People are nuts!

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 12:18:54 AM »
Yeah, just a little over an hour drive
Gunnie's not too far, nor Cabela's
There are a few nice indoor ranges down here and quit a few places to "GO'" shooting close by
My driving takes me out a week to two weeks at a time so it my have to be short notice
Maybe we can catch-up with eachother at one of the Gun Shows (in Sandy)
24-25 Sep is coming up in a couple weeks
Give me a call when it gets closer
949-254-5812
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !