Author Topic: CZ 97BD Magazine-ish issues  (Read 3603 times)

Offline mademperorfred

CZ 97BD Magazine-ish issues
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
Hello, I have recently become a CZ 97BD owner. I waffled about getting one for three years before the opportunity finally presented itself, and I couldn't resist. I bought the gun new at a gun show and all I have is two factory magazines.

I have combed through the forums and I haven't been able to find someone else who has my problem, so I figured I would put it up. If there is another post with a similar problem, feel free to just direct me there.

I have only put about 100 rounds through the gun so far, both hollow point and FMJ. I saw none of the problems I read about where the rounds nose dive into the feed ramp. Instead, my magazine doesn't seem to be seating properly. I insert the fully loaded magazine and it clicks into place like I expect. But when I chamber a round, the magazine seems to drop about a quarter of an inch. It doesn't actually fall free of the gun, and it chambers the first round normally. However, after you fire the first shot, a second round isn't chambered. So once I figured this out, I chambered a round, reseated the magazine, and fired. The second round gets chambered but the magazine once again drops and the third round does not chamber.

I managed to overcome the problem for the duration of my first session by just holding the magazine in place with my hand whenever I am operating the slide, whether manually or automatically, and it seems to function normally. But I don't really like the idea of always having to use this unusual technique in order for the gun to work properly.

I don't have much, if any, experience working on firearms, so I am looking for advice on whether this seems like it would have an easy fix that I could manage or better to just send it off. Could it be that the spring holding the slide release is bad and needs replaced or possibly that the catch on the slide release is shallow? I have no ground for comparison, so when I look at it I can't really tell where it ought to be. I also looked to see if any wear markings appeared on the magazines in places I wouldn't expect, but they seem normal.

Otherwise, the gun is awesome. It operates smoothly and the recoil feels pretty much like my 9mm. If I could get this one issue resolved I think that it would certainly be my favorite.

PS- Where are all the magazines? Every site I have been to either says out of stock or limited quantities and they seem expensive.

Online Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: CZ 97BD Magazine-ish issues
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Hello, I have recently become a CZ 97BD owner.  I insert the fully loaded magazine and it clicks into place like I expect. But when I chamber a round, the magazine seems to drop about a quarter of an inch. It doesn't actually fall free of the gun, and it chambers the first round normally. However, after you fire the first shot, a second round isn't chambered. 

PS- Where are all the magazines? Every site I have been to either says out of stock or limited quantities and they seem expensive.

Remove the slide and seat the magazine into the frame.  There should be a sharp loud click.   You should be able to press the floor plate of the magazine down WITHOUT the magazine moving.  The magazine should not move at all without pressing the mag. release.
P.S. Great price on magazines and in stock !
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Mecgar-MGCZ7516B-CZ-75-9-mm-16-Standard-Blue.html

Offline mademperorfred

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:19:05 PM »
I appreciate your input, however:

1) Please assume that I know the power switch needs to be in the ON position for my computer to work i.e. I know what a magazine should sound like when properly inserted and that is not the issue.

2) The link you posted is to magazines for a CZ 75, which are quite plentiful. You may have noticed that I own a CZ 97BD, the magazines for which are, incidentally, 3 times more expensive and sold out on that site.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 05:44:17 PM »
        Well good we now can write off whether you know that the switch has to be in the on postion to make your computer work, but did you check to make sure the computer was plugged in? Since as you said "I don't have much, if any, experience working on firearms," I presume you know what happens when you assume anything. Now that we have gotten the computer isn't the problem part out of the way perhaps we can move on to your pistol.

First off referring to your statement "I don't have much, if any, experience working on firearms"  Rodolfo Fierro answered the question with advice he presumed (notice I didn't say assume) would benefit you and was perfectly good advice to be quite frank. Let me repeat what he said

"You should be able to press the floor plate of the magazine down WITHOUT the magazine moving.  The magazine should not move at all without pressing the mag. release."

I don't see anywhere in your post that you even tried doing what he said. And without that info we can't suggest if you can fix it or if CZ-USA should look at it. One question not asked or answered was/is does this happen with Both magazines or only one of them? If it's only doing it with the one mag then you have a mag issue which may or may not be fixable. If it happens with both mags then you have an issue with the mag catch, and frankly your saying you have to hold the bottom of the mag up when the slide operates to make the pistol work properly, then I would have a reasonable expectation that the pistol needs work, But until you  and or we know if you have the trouble with both mags then that's a guess on anyone part.

To be completely honest with you, frankly I am stunned you haven't been on the phone with CZ-USA and talking to them as soon as you got home if not sooner. You are taking your life in your hands by operating a weapon without taking to the professionals that get paid to know or think is wrong with your pistol an deal with it. What you are describing it tantamount to a wheel gun cylinder only rotating 90 persent of the way and then taking a chance the round will actually go through the barrel and not explode in your face.

I have no doubt you are going to be offended by this post and think all sorts of nasty things about us. Frankly I do not care. This is the Christmas or Holiday Season and your copping an attitude towards the man that at least tried to help you and you apparently seem to have ignored at least partly is not in the spirit of life in general an certainly not at this time of year. No one gets paid here, This is a private forum and not subsidized by ANY company at all. I take a great deal of pride in my members and the fact that they are willing to help anyone that asks for it, and in the process knowing they can come here with their own questions and not get bombarded by banners, ads and sponsorships.

To help you out I would like to mention another CZ forum that may be able to read your mind and help you, the URL is www.firearms.us and good luck trying to get past their double secret password question to join.

Oh ya and just to show you I actually bear you no ill will and in the Spirit of the Holidays  here is a list of sites I found that had CZ 97B Magazines, and or did at the time I posted them.

http://www.gunclips.net/cz97gunma.html

http://www.gunsamerica.com/937560999/Non-Guns/Magazines-Clips/Pistol-Magazines/Other/CZ_Mag_97B.htm

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=cz+97b+magazine&qpvt=cz+97b+magazine&FORM=HURE#x0y0

Oh and you had best buy the mags soon because I have a CZ 97B custom made that cost more than yours did twice over and I am was looking fo rmags myself, But I am letting you have first pick.

There you go, and before you bad mouth us know that I am Jewish and by trying to help you after you insulted one of our members is a perfect example of turning the other cheek, and I have been more "Christian" to you than you have been to Rodolfo Fierro  you may have forgotten just what this season is about but we haven't. Peace out and Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:23:08 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Online GM4469

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 06:59:26 PM »
please check how our mags seat in the frame.
with the slide off you can double check a few things.
when the mag clicks in..wiggle the bottom of the mag and see if it can shake loose.
if not..try again with the slide on the gun.

also check with the mag disassembled to verify the basepad is not out of spec. so check if the tube will lock in and not shake loose.

if it can shake loose under all those circumstances. then mag release is possibly cut wrong, out of spec and not holding the cutout on the tube well enough.

question? need to order something?
stuart@czcustom.com
480-969-1311

Offline b5.5dan

• Proud US Government and Citizenship Teacher
  • Global Moderator
  • Sapientis Nutu et Stulti Virga
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
I'm tempted to buy them all myself, just as an added incentive to purchase a 97...

GhostWarrior was spot-on in my opinion, but jsut remember; the factory is producing these firearms for a world market, and as such, are making a ton of them. You get the last one of the batch/run/etc., and unpleasant things like this can happen just like with any car/xbox/baseball card. At least if you google "CZ Kaboom" all you get is pictures of Glocks and comments about what their new choice in pistol platforms is going to be.  :grin:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
If someone on this site gives you advice, follow it unless it sounds unsafe. Don't be an a-hole and smart off to someone who's kind enough to offer you advice either. GW took it easy on you.

Offline mademperorfred

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 08:54:36 PM »
I apologize, Rodolfo, about my initial response. It is not my normal behavior. I was in a bad mood and I took it out on you because I felt at the time you were being condescending, but I acknowledge that your advice was good first step troubleshooting. I was frustrated because I had already done that and both the magazines seem to seat fine with the slide off. I hope you understand that because I can't read vocal inflection, it was easy for me to read things into your message that in retrospect were obviously not intended.

Ghost Warrior, although I understand your position, I don't think that my comments justified your tirade.

GM4469, I will try it with the magazine tube while disassembled to see if it changes anything. Thanks for the advice.

Offline b5.5dan

• Proud US Government and Citizenship Teacher
  • Global Moderator
  • Sapientis Nutu et Stulti Virga
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 09:39:43 PM »
We are just very protective of all of our members, you now included.  :grin:
So, one thing we always suggest is to try and borrow another mag if possible. It may be hard with a 97 though. Do you havr any gunsmith friends? If it isn't a simple mag issue, it is likely something that could be taken care of in a snap. Is it possible that something on the top of the mag is bent as to prevent full engagement? Perhaps something could be bent slightly to fix the issue...

Good luck!
And Happy Christmas!

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Global Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
If its fully seating with the slide off, then its probably not the mag catch. Try loading 5 rounds and see if you have the same problem. Could be that the mag spring just isn't broken in, and with a full mag it wont seat right. Had that problem with an M&P 45 that I had.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 10:26:53 AM »
                First I want to thank you for your gracious apology to Rodolfo Fierro. Not a lot of people anymore that would have been as big as you are and apologizing,

Second, that wasn't a tirade, we simply see it differently. However if things were reversered and Rod had disrespected you the way you disrespected him I would have done the exact same thing in your defense. I'm sort of seriously Old Fashioned when it comes to Loyalty and Honor and Leadership.I will not leave anyone behind if humanly possible and I will not fail to stand beside them either as long as they are right. As long as none of my members do anything Illegal, outright rude, crude or socially unacceptable I will stand with them and make it known that someone (and it wasn't them) was out of line
               I trust you can accept that sort of attitude since now that you are a member I will think nothing of standing up for you the same way. Besides I'm not sure you can call it a tirade when I added perfectly good links to sights with CZ97B Magazines in stock. That's just plain being a nice guy not rude, And on that subject, I'm wondering if you got a chance to order any of them yet? I really am looking for some myself, but you asked first so you get first crack at them.

Hope Christmas was fun, and you celebrated with family and friends. About the only thing I regretted about working ERT and First Responder, was missing every other holiday. Or most of is anyway.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice