Author Topic: CZ 97BD FEED ISSUES  (Read 3256 times)

Offline safetyfirst123

CZ 97BD FEED ISSUES
« on: August 06, 2011, 01:13:17 PM »
Hi Everyone,
My first pistol purchase was the Shadow SP-01 in 9mm(only caliber it comes in) I loved the feel of this gun in my hands, the gummy grips, the location of the safety, mag release, slide lock. Everything just seemed to be positioned perfectly for my medium to large sized hands.  It seemed to be part of my hand. At the time of purchase, the old 97B was just a hair too big for my hands in that I felt like I didn't completely have a firm grip on the gun so I bought the shadow.
Shortly thereafter, I found that I could not have made a better pistol purchasing choice. I now shoot IPSC and although I am anal about all of my 13 guns being clean and "battle ready" the shadow will see the range in a dirty condition, from time to time, as I shoot this gun the most and I have never found a feed issue or any other issue with this gun, no matter how dull and dirty the feed ramp appears. Hence my gripe with the 97BD.
I love the feel of the "slimmer" BD model compared to the B model previously held. The night sights are great, the slightly harder gummy grips, compared to the softer Shadow grips. The recoil feels very light for a 45, in fact, it just feels like a 9mm on steroids(heavy load 147 grain) or a regular factory loaded 40 cal. Now for the gripes......
The 97 BD would start misfeeding rounds after 30-40 rounds in that they would get hung up on the barrel and feed ramp as soon as some powder residue started to stick on the feed ramp. Now I know I can polish this up myself but my Shadow, in comparison, just loves the abuse and never does this after even 500 rounds are pushed through the barrel and the gun looks filthy.
In my opinion, CZ sold the public a problem that would have been easily remedied from the factory with a very minimal amount of range time R & D. I am dissapointed to say the least and I love CZ'S!!![/font]
Now I get to take my new pistol back to CZ, wait god knows how long for their warranty guy to dremel the ramp down and polish it. I have 5 pistols, 2 of which are CZ and this is the only pistol that I have ever seen a problem with, PERIOD. I love CZ, love the 97 BD otherwise for the problem I just noted. The rest of it is beatiful.
Why should a consumer have to send his gun off after it is registered to him, in a time of balistics. Call me paranoid but I like to know where my gun sleeps at night and this is an easily avoided situation on CZ's end. Sounds like an old problem that they never bothered to fix. Can someone correct me here or fill me in on something I do not know? Thanks

Offline b5.5dan

• Proud US Government and Citizenship Teacher
  • Global Moderator
  • Sapientis Nutu et Stulti Virga
Re: CZ 97BD FEED ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
First of all, welcome to CZ Forum. We hope you will enjoy your time here.

Next, I am sorry to hear about your 97BD problem. It is unfortunate. I am considering a 97 purchase myself (well, not considering. Saving.  :cheesy: ) Anyway, I don't want to sound like a jerk and you obviously know your stuff, but have you tried several different ammo types? I know most .45s will feed just about anything, but this one could just be testy, so to speak. Also, it could be as simple as leaving the mag loaded for a couple of weeks (which it sounds like you do) or fighting your way through the "break-in" period.

Unfortunately there is the possibility that you will have to send her back. If that's the case, I can attest to the speed and quality with which CZ handles warranty work. I had to send a USED pistol back, and total turn-around time was 13 days. I was quite pleased with the results.

I sure hope that this problem sorts itself out, and if you haven't come to the 500 round mark, you may just want to push a bit more, fiddle with the mag, and just wait for her to come around. I understand your displeasure with having to do this at all, but in my experience, if you can see your way through the problems without having to send her in, you will have far more faith and trust in the pistol once it's all said in done.

Good Hunting!

Offline safetyfirst123

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Hi there

Thanks for the response and tips. I always leave my handgun mags loaded, my Shadow is fully loaded at all times(all five mags to the hilt) and my 97 DB is half loaded mags always. I want all my handguns to have loaded mags to some capacity in case of emergency. My go to gun when there is a bump in the night is my Shadow. It used to be my defender shotgun but that has been relegated to back-up as I can draw from a holster and put two in the chest area of a target at 20 yards in less than a second. Who needs a shotgun, laughing here. Confidence is what it all comes down to and I am far from what I consider a marksman to be.
I load ammo on my progressive press so I can play with the overall length of a cartridge/bullet, amount of powder charge and bullet weights but hey, my (3) 45's are for fun only and the BD is the only gun in my stable that seems to have ammo issues. All my other guns, including my Colt 1911 in 45 cal, eat anything, any make, any wieght of bullet, anything....... I fight having to make a special bullet for the CZ. These things should work with anything in my opinion.
I mean if a 100 year old gun design, and in my opinion, gun can eat any ammo then so should my BD. Again, I really love CZ but I do feel a little cheated on this one. I could fix the problem myself with a dremel but just in case, I would hate to void my warranty.
I have only tried my home loads and a cheap 230 grain factory ammo. If it comes down to having to buy special ammo for the Cz, that defeats part of the reason for loading my own ammo. If that is the case, your savings account may be ready for the purchase of a BD right now!!! I have only put between 250-300 rounds through her and she has sat in my safe for the last 6 months, cleaned and green tagged ready for the range(yes I have green tags on my guns telling me when I last cleaned it and with what oil as some rifle oils caramelize up, or rather thicken to petroleum jelly over time.)
I did mention that I am anal in my last post didn't I? I can't see wiggling the magazine while I am shooting though. The round gets hung up between the top inside of the barrel and the feed ramp. You think the problem may be that the magazine springs are too stiff? Please advise.

Offline b5.5dan

• Proud US Government and Citizenship Teacher
  • Global Moderator
  • Sapientis Nutu et Stulti Virga
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:52:57 PM »
The mag spring could be too stiff, but it sounds like either an extractor issue or, more likely, a feed ramp that needs polishing. Do you have a local range you frequent? Is there any chance you could try someone else's 97B magazine to test for function? I wish I could be of more help, but any time I have had or seen this kind of problem, a feed ramp polish took care of the issue. However, everyone says that a new pistol requires a break-in of 500-1000 rounds, but that's a lot of shooting to get your pistol where it needs to be. In my opinion, faith should be established within 200 rounds, but that could just be me.

I would call the great people at CZ-USA (800-955-4486: Mon-Fri 900-1700 CST I think) and ask them if you polishing the feed ramp would invalidate the warranty. Furthermore, it is possible that you could just do it and, if you do end up having to send it in, just say you never did it. Honestly is the best policy most the time, but a functional firearm trumps honesty every time in my book.  :laugh:

Offline JoeInCT

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 10:23:06 AM »
Random thought .... is it possible you have the mag springs on backwards? I did that once on my 75BD and started getting rounds hung up as you described.
"....you will watch the back of the man next to you, as he will watch yours, and you won't care what color his skin is, or by what name he calls God". Col Hal Moore, 7th Cavalry Regiment  "Garryowen". "Wake up, Schwartzkopf!"

Offline smokeyd2

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:09:26 AM »
Hello all I bought a cz97b after owning nothing but 1911s and carrying a Rami2075 9mm for 3 years I really like the weapon but i have put at least a 1000 rounds through it and still having feed issues. It was the only one in town and i wanted it the wood grips were plain and gouged up so i just ordered the rubber ones and took care of that. It is deadly acurate ant tight groups when it doesnt jam. I have put all kinds of dif ammo through it so thats not the issue. I happened to pull out the factory test fire group and it was shot in 2008 and i bought the gun last month new in box at the Gun shop

Online Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 05:11:13 AM »
Last year I bought a "like new" 75BD from Gunbroker.  It would jam while feeding once in a while.  The problem turned out to be the extractor.  Some cases must have a thicker rim than others.  The extractor would not slip over the rim on some cases.  This left the case half way into the chamber and the gun jammed.
I removed the extractor from the slide and sanded the corner of the extractor a little.  That did it!  A thousand rounds later the gun has not jammed once.  The corner that first contacts the case was too square.  I just removed the corner with sandpaper and polished it up with Mother's mag wheel polish. 
The key here was the case half way into the chamber.  Sometimes I could push the slide with my thumb and seat the round.  It was the extractor holding the case at an angle preventing proper insertion into the chamber. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:17:17 AM by Rodolfo Fierro »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
       I'm thinking it was a really good idea on my part to buy a complete reloader sys in all the Calibers I am using or plan to use, because it looks like I have a LOT of shooting to do. I want to see how each pistol works, (I have more than one of the same model, and they frankly may not perform to same way considering some of the things I have read in all the posts) The only time so far that I have ever had a FTF or a FTF (?) has been with my 75 Pre-B's and HP rounds. (oh and some Surplus 7.62x25 Tokerov rounds and my 52). The pistol Really hated those until I found out polishing the ramp sorted that out, but I can't afford to polish all the 75 Pre-B's I have  :cry: . I now have 3 97 B's but neither is exactly stock (one is an RSR version and the other is a Pro Tek IV) so I guess I'm going to have to buy a stock one at some point (with what I have NO idea :rolleyes: ) and run some rounds through it to see how it works.

Granted none of this post helps with the immediate problem but I wanted to say that I really want to know what everone is having issues with and see if I can gain the knowledge to help out at some point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:42:36 AM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Online Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:48:17 AM »
       The pistol Really hated those until I found out polishing the ramp sorted that out, but I can't afford to polish all the 75 Pre-B's I have  :cry: 
Get some #400 sandpaper and a 5/16" dowell rod at the hardware store and polish the ramp yourself.  Use some #600 sandpaper to get the final finish.  Or if you look at enough cheap pens you will find one that is 9mm and you won't need the dowell.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:57 AM »
OH! How shiny is that idea! Thanks a bunch I'll do that this week. And once again camaraderie triumphs over banners and ads, and rude people. I LOVE this forum! :cheesy:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline smokeyd2

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:01:02 AM »
Hello everybody , I spoke to CZ today and my gun is enroute to them as i type this. This brand new cz97b was new but built 5 yrs ago , the smithy told me they float around and land here and there and it just happens. This pistol has been discontinued and improved upon since then. He said send it in and if they cant fix it which he didnt think they could because of all the issues he would send me a new one. This Man said he goy a shipment in and would stick a new one on the shelf for me so it wouldnt get away  :smiley:  I am impressed ! The new models have longer and diff angled ramps and the mags go further up into the slide at a steeper angle. not to mention the mags are easier to load to capacity. Just a suggestion if your having issues anything like mine dont mess with it until you talk to cz this company wants happy customers. Also he said they are starting to get some orders of new 87b and 97 bds. Anybody who like 1911s will love this gun i believe. Out of the box after a cleaning it shot 2 inc groups at 20 feet and recoils is like a 9mm and i know because Ive carried a 2075 rammi for 3 yrs
 Thank you all for your suggestions