Author Topic: CZ 97 grip size question  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Powerpuff boy

CZ 97 grip size question
« on: April 17, 2012, 12:33:44 AM »
Hi.

I am thinking about getting a CZ 97.  But I have heard that the grip of the 97 is pretty wide.  I have fairly small hands. (I am pretty comfortable with the 75B and Sig P-220, though).

Is it true that the grip size is comparable to that of Beretta F92?  (If so, I will try the Beretta and see if I can handle it.  It is so hard to locate the 97.)   Also, is the BD any slimmer than B?

If you have the 97 (or have tried it), let me know.

Thank you.

Online chfields

• Global Moderator
Re: CZ 97 grip size question
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 01:00:22 AM »
A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to fire the 97, along with a bunch of other CZ's. While it is bigger than 75 B, the grip felt very comfortable and my hands are also on the smallish side. I can't compare to the Beretta as I've never had the chance to shoot one. Like all the CZ's I've fired (with the exception of the Rami) it was very comfortable and natural to shoot. I hope that helps....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
Kadet Kit
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Powerpuff boy

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 03:42:21 AM »
Thank you.  It seems like it is manageable.  Now I am seriously considering....

Offline mystique

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:17:53 AM »
I have a 97B.  The grip is a little on the wide side but not unbearable.  A great gun and very accurate, as are all CZ's that I have shot. A large gun for concealed carry.  The size is comparable to a 1911 except for the grip. 

Online GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »
         I think I posted under the General Firearms Questions Board, but I just did a side by side comparison of each CZ I own against a CZ 75 Pre-Ban as the base weapon for all the comparisons. If you look it up, there should be a set of pics that I did of the 97B and the 75. If you have handled a 75 Pre-B or even a B then I think you may be able to see how much of a difference there is. It's of course not the same as actually holding both in your own ands, but since it's really hard to find a gun store in most places that has an assortment of CZ's, I figured it could be of some help. Let me know what you think.

Possibly the 97b is in the second set of pics which I haven't posted yet because I am trying to figure out if I can post each set as a set and not simply stacked one over the other down a really long page. One way or the other  I'll post today or tomorrow at the latest.

Just checked for myself and it is it's very own board directly under the Ye Olde Firearms Shoppe. And I forgot to see if the 97 was there, wait one brb.

Yep and the pics are the last 6 or 7 at the very bottom of the page. I should mention that I think the grips on the 75 Pre-B are the factory rubber grips, not the plastic ones it would have originally had. Should have thought about that last bit. But you can still see the 97 is wider even with the rubber grips on the 75. :embarrassed:

Dang Nation! They are the factiory rubber grips1 :embarrassed: :sad: :cry: I am REALLY going to Hate taking the entire set of pics over again, someone please kill me now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:58:42 AM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Powerpuff boy

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
Thanks, guys. 

I checked the pics of Ghost Warrior.  The 97's grip does not look as fat as I imagined.  Mmmmh.  I am about to pull the trigger for the 82, too.   Now this.     Never enough money, never enough CZs.... :-) 

Online GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
       I'm not totally sure about this you will have to call and ask, as far as I know no one here ever asked for the info, but call either CZ-USA or CZCustom and check with them. The flat metal grips they make for most every other CZ may well be available for the 97B also. in which case the entire grip size/diameter slims down to not much. Then again you could possibly ask a grip maker is they can custom you a pair of think but sturdy wood grips maybe even suite to your own hand. Just throwing out ideas. Looking forward to seeing how everything plays out. And you are Correct Powerpuff boy-san, there is never enough money nor CZ's nor time to use them. :cool: And very soon there may be one more thing, ammunition and how much it's going to cost to get and it may not take longer than the end of the year to see how bad it's going to get.  :cry:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Powerpuff boy

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 12:40:50 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion about custom grips from the CZ Custom. 

Actually I have asked them when they think they can get the 97. (they are out of the 97).  And my next questions to them were going to be (a) the availability of thin grips and (b) a trigger replacement to shorten the distance between the trigger and the grip. 

We were thinking along the same line :-)    Once I get their answers, I will share them with you here.

Ok now, I have to find my pennies....

Offline Powerpuff boy

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:29:03 PM »
I got my 97B 2 days ago.  The grip size is manageable.  Stuart told me that the grip size was comparable to that of Sig P-220.  And he was right.

The distance from the bottom of the curve right below the beavertail (?) to the tip of the trigger : DA/SA  = about 3.5/3.25 inches.   (Sig p-220 = DA/SA - about 3.5/3.0 inches) (CA 75B DA/SA = 3.5/3.0 inches)

And believe or not, the width is not much different from the width of the 82! (approx. 1.25 inches) But horizontally it is longer.  And it does feel that way, when you hold it.
At the bottom it is slightly shorter than 2.25 inches. (the 82 = 2 inches)  The CZ 75B's is approx. 2 inches as well.

As for its operation,  I can switch off the manual safety without a problem.  But putting the safety on without changing my grip is awkward. I need to change the grip to reach the magazine release.  (it does not bother me.  But you may feel differently)

The DA may be an issue for some people.   The DA pull of this gun has been reduced to approx. 8.1lbs.  So I can squeeze the trigger without changing my grip.  If it were the factory setting (11-12lbs),  I would have had a difficulty.

The checkering of the grip panels is very mild.  I may try the thin aluminum grips CZ Custom carries.  More aggressive checkering might be useful for me.

All in all, I am very pleased.  :grin:

Offline DaveShooter

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:38:01 PM »
I got my 97B 2 days ago.  The grip size is manageable.  Stuart told me that the grip size was comparable to that of Sig P-220.  And he was right.

The distance from the bottom of the curve right below the beavertail (?) to the tip of the trigger : DA/SA  = about 3.5/3.25 inches.   (Sig p-220 = DA/SA - about 3.5/3.0 inches) (CA 75B DA/SA = 3.5/3.0 inches)

And believe or not, the width is not much different from the width of the 82! (approx. 1.25 inches) But horizontally it is longer.  And it does feel that way, when you hold it.
At the bottom it is slightly shorter than 2.25 inches. (the 82 = 2 inches)  The CZ 75B's is approx. 2 inches as well.

As for its operation,  I can switch off the manual safety without a problem.  But putting the safety on without changing my grip is awkward. I need to change the grip to reach the magazine release.  (it does not bother me.  But you may feel differently)

The DA may be an issue for some people.   The DA pull of this gun has been reduced to approx. 8.1lbs.  So I can squeeze the trigger without changing my grip.  If it were the factory setting (11-12lbs),  I would have had a difficulty.

The checkering of the grip panels is very mild.  I may try the thin aluminum grips CZ Custom carries.  More aggressive checkering might be useful for me.

All in all, I am very pleased.  :grin:
I think you will enjoy the 97b. I still have one in a gun shop in lay-away, can't wait to get it out and play if ya know what I mean. :grin:  It sure will go along nice with my CZ 75B. :grin:

Offline rcbloom2

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
If you have small hands, reaching the trigger for proper placement of your finger can be an issue. I overcame this by carrying the gun in condition one with hammer back, safety on. Trigger is much closer to your finger, you can get proper placement of your finger for correct trigger pull.
Ronald C. Bloom II
NRA Training Counselor
NRA Life Member
Life Member, Disabled American Veterans
Collector of Curio and Relic Firearms
CZ LOVER

Offline Powerpuff boy

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
Hi rdbloom2.

Thank you for the advice.   it is a bit of a stretch to pull the trigger from the DA position.  I can somewhat manage it because of the lighter DA pull.  I have a tendency to put too much finger on the trigger.  With the CZ97B, the situation is reversed (may not be enough finger)  !  Never works right, does it? :grin:

But I do prefer the SA trigger position, too.  The trigger is much and more comfortable. 

Thank you.

M