Author Topic: Hogue wraparounds  (Read 6702 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Hogue wraparounds
« on: February 01, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
The factory rubber grips on the stainless 75 are certainly adequate but the Hogue wraparounds are very tempting. I love fancy wood on rifles and shotguns but for handguns function is most important. I guess a few experiences with heavy calibers and slick wood grips did it for me. If anyone has the Hogues on their 75, how do you like them?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:05:44 AM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Hogue wraparounds
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
DD:
I have the Hohue WAR grips on both the B-SA and the SemiCompact frames
Seems to give my small hands a more stable hold for better control
I highly recommend them
I believe MidwayUSA has them at $18.50 (link)
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=333567
If you’re not in a hurry, they usually put them on sale every other month for around $15 or $16
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:33:10 AM »
Den,
Ahh, more good news. Thanks again for the reply.

DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
Oh I Like those! I love wood and prefer it. I have noticed any "slipping in my hand" issues but then all most all of the wood grips are patterned in some manner. But I have GOT to try a pair of those just to see how they work. I am always up for new things if I can squeeze them into my budget. Shiny thanks for the posts.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 11:59:09 PM »
I love to present my pistols in wood, but shoot them in rubber
Shoot safe all, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 09:47:39 AM »
Oh I Like those! I love wood and prefer it. I have noticed any "slipping in my hand" issues but then all most all of the wood grips are patterned in some manner. But I have GOT to try a pair of those just to see how they work. I am always up for new things if I can squeeze them into my budget. Shiny thanks for the posts.

My Python shoots so much better with the Colt/Hogue grips than with wood. Also, I've got a Contender in 45 win mag (10") with the wood target style grips. It will rotate in the hand so I usually shoot it from a bag. And finally, this is Texas, and most of my outdoor shooting is done with semi-sweaty hands.

But, I do like wood on a blued or black gun. Especially a rich CocoBolo or English Walnut.
DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:43:29 PM »
Well dress my in chaps and call me a cowboy! I just found out I have a set of those grips on a SP01 Shadow I bought online. And you are correct they are really great. or at least on the Shadow. I think I might buy a couple extra ones for the Shadow Customs for competitions. I had no idea what those grips were untill I saw the photograph you posted and then noticed the Shadow's grip looked just like it. So I took off my glasses to be able to look close at the logo and sure enough Hogue! And Midway has them for 18.49 just like you said. I did not doubt you i'm just saying thanks.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 01:45:49 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
For anyone else who thinks that the "phillips" grip screws just don't look right, Midway has the slotted, blued screws for the Hogues. They are not shown with the Hogue girps, therefore hard to find. The product number is 578403.

DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:43:00 PM »
Thanks Deem, the Phillips head screws do look weird on grips at all. I have an extra set of slotted screws I bought for CZ-USA and used them. Do have a question thugh, One of the Shadows is missing both the front and rear sites, I bought it onlne from someone that way. I haven't decieded what to get to replace them with other than putting a fiber optic front site on. Even then that is not written in concret yet so if it was up to you what would you replace them with? And anyone can answer I just happened to be asking Dee since I responded to his post.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:41 AM »
GW,
One thing about the factory screws is that they seem to be very soft. In stretching the Hogue wrap-around the screw holes didn't line up perfectly. The attempt to "push" the screw to the side as I started it instantly damaged the threads. The frame threads were still perfect. Of course, much better to damage the screw rather than the frame.  ;D

"Edited to move the Shadow sight reply to the proper thread"

« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:44:36 AM by DeeDubya »
DW
~ James D. Miles