Author Topic: Recoil Buffer  (Read 8034 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Recoil Buffer
« on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:57 AM »
Has anyone tried a recoil buffer in their CZ75B? I'm intending to shoot some 9mm 147gr loaded at max. Only because I've got around 1000 rounds that I had loaded for my ex for IPSC. Much of it is new brass. Anyway, I'm aware of the heavier recoil springs but then switching back to lighter loads I would have to remember to put the 14lb back in. Buffer Technologies says that they do have a limited life span of 800-1000 rounds. Any thoughts?

DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Recoil Buffer
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
Well I suppose part of the question lies in how much the heaver springs are going to cost and whether you should get 2 since the company thinks on may mot take care of all the ammo you have. Cost of 2 springs against the time, effort and money invested in the reloading, I would do 2 things. I would call either CZ-USA and or CZCustom and chat up one of the guys for their opinion if you haven't already tried that. Maybe they have a better spring or idea? and if they can't help then I'm pretty sure I would just go ahead and buy 2 springs, better to have a back up and not use it than find out that you need to pay all over again for a replacement. If you don't use it then maybe sell it online?

I'm am in no way any sort of gun smith, I'm just throwing in my 2 cents worth from my perspective.  :)
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:16 PM »
I did read a lengthy thread on the "other"  CZ forum about why a heavier  recoil spring can help reduce felt recoil and the rearward slide/frame collision, but will then cause the slide to slam home into battery with a vengence, thereby resulting in an offset benefit.
The "buffer" (I should have detailed a little in the op) is actually a polyurathane washer that cushions the slide at the end of it's rearward journey. I've got one ordered now (they're cheap) so I'll be the Guinea Pig. As long as it doesn't limit the slide travel too much it seems that it should help. Recoil buffers are common in auto shotguns and rifles.
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:58:28 PM »
well if there is any doubt that I am NOT a gun smith or that there is a LOT I still have to learn then, I think my post dispelled any thoughts along those lines. ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »
I use the BT buf on both my B-SA and my Semi-Compact
Personally, I haven't noticed any of the usual problems associated with them
I do know they are best at reducing or eliminating trigger bite more than anything else (caused by the slide and frame collision) and I have none of that
I’d say…Try it and if you don’t like it pull it back out…No harm no foul
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »
Den, that's good news. Thanks for the reply.
DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
On some of the CZs, the buffer causes the slide release to be really touchy or the slide won't lock open on the last round. Not my experience, only what I've read and heard from others.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 11:20:36 PM »
On some of the CZs, the buffer causes the slide release to be really touchy or the slide won't lock open on the last round. Not my experience, only what I've read and heard from others.
I know this is true for the Witness pistols
Have read a few others have has similar problems with their Witnesses
I tries the BT buf on my Witness Semi-Compact and it caused way too much trouble
So out it went
Good luck
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !