Author Topic: Challenger SUPER SHORTSHELL 12 Gauge Ammo 1-3/4" 5/8oz. #7 1/2 Birdshot  (Read 2967 times)

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Will the CZ 712 Utility reliably fire these shells?
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline frgood

Re: Challenger SUPER SHORTSHELL 12 Gauge Ammo 1-3/4" 5/8oz. #7 1/2 Birdshot
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 12:15:12 PM »
Not sure as i used 3” shells. I’d recommend buying dummy rounds and giving it a try.
Joey E. Just got my 712, so reach out to him to experiment.

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 01:28:51 PM »
Can I assume you bought it used without the manual? Although it sounds like you're operating it correctly.[/size]If the 1 3/4 shells are not cycling, My guess (and it is a guess) is that they might not be long enough to reach the load gate activation lever (linked to the small black button you are pushing).If you are only going to use that length shell, you may need to extend that latch.The CZ 712 semi-automatic shotgun must firstly be set to condition when the carrier makes it possible to place shells into themagazine. For this reason pull the operating handle back until the bolt locks in the rearward position. Now grasp the firearm from belowand depress the bolt release button located at the receiver’s side (Fig. 2) so that the bolt snaps closed and is locked at the front. Bear inmind that this operation can be dangerous if done carelessly and therefore be extremely careful! Engage the safety of the firearm byshifting the safety to its "On-Safe" position (see section "The Safety and its Operation"). Put shells one after another into the magazinetube located in the forend by placing them on the carrier and pushing forward in the direction of fire until they are fully inserted. When youhave loaded the desired number of shells push the shells drop lever (Fig. 3), to allow the shell to be released from the magazine. Nowretract the bolt operating handle and then release the bolt to close forcefully. This operation chambers the shell and cocks the firingmechanism. The firearm is now loaded and the safety engaged to prevent any unintended discharge.
During Shooting
The CZ 712 model mechanism automatically ejects the fired shells through the ejection port and afterwards picks up a new shell fromthe magazine and chambers it. When the last cartridge has been fired the bolt will stay to the rear (open), thus signalling that the magazineis empty.

Offline frgood

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Can I assume you bought it used without the manual? Although it sounds like you're operating it correctly.
If the 1 3/4 shells are not cycling, My guess (and it is a guess) is that they might not be long enough to reach the load gate activation lever (linked to the small black button you are pushing).

If you are only going to use that length shell, you may need to extend that latch.

The CZ 712 semi-automatic shotgun must firstly be set to condition when the carrier makes it possible to place shells into the
magazine. For this reason pull the operating handle back until the bolt locks in the rearward position. Now grasp the firearm from below
and depress the bolt release button located at the receiver’s side (Fig. 2) so that the bolt snaps closed and is locked at the front. Bear in
mind that this operation can be dangerous if done carelessly and therefore be extremely careful! Engage the safety of the firearm by
shifting the safety to its "On-Safe" position (see section "The Safety and its Operation"). Put shells one after another into the magazine
tube located in the forend by placing them on the carrier and pushing forward in the direction of fire until they are fully inserted. When you
have loaded the desired number of shells push the shells drop lever (Fig. 3), to allow the shell to be released from the magazine. Now
retract the bolt operating handle and then release the bolt to close forcefully. This operation chambers the shell and cocks the firing
mechanism. The firearm is now loaded and the safety engaged to prevent any unintended discharge.

During Shooting

The CZ 712 model mechanism automatically ejects the fired shells through the ejection port and afterwards picks up a new shell from
the magazine and chambers it. When the last cartridge has been fired the bolt will stay to the rear (open), thus signalling that the magazine
is empty.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2021, 05:26:24 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply. I bought it new but the manual didn't say anything about it. I was asking because they are at a decent price, but don't want to buy if they don't run. Show to a guy I shoot with and he says they don't run in semi except in Mossberg with a special attachment. I ran federal 1200 fps #8 shot and it ran like a sewing machine. He also gave me some low recoil but they didn't feed well. So I just need 1200 or faster...
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad