Author Topic: Are CZ's likely to point as naturally as my Beretta and SIGs?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline TT

Hi, I am new to the forum (though not new to firearms). I've been concealed carrying since 2005 when it became legal again in my state. That said, I have a question about grip angle before I buy one (and whether it points naturally). If you don't want to read on, that will be enough. If you do, proceed at your own risk.  :grin:

Once upon a time I was a huge Glock and M&P fan (I still am to a lesser extent). I've owned a dozen carry guns between the two and dozens of carry guns in general, but I've never owned or shot a CZ. I held one in a gun store once, but all I can remember from that experience was the grip melting in my hands. Cabela's had all the triggers locked up so I didn't really spend much time with it other than to say, "Wow!".

That said, I'm thinking about picking up a CZ eventually, the P-09 with a threaded barrel in particular, and I started wondering about the grip angle. I trained to be very natural pointing Glocks, however, once I started mixing it up and having many different firearms, I noticed the following:
  • Glocks would point too high once in awhile.  I was trained enough that it didn't happen most of the time, but perhaps 5%-10% of the time I would pick one up and point high for the first shot (reminding me to cant my wrist).
  • SIGs and Berettas, despite having slightly different grip angles point PERFECTLY natural virtually each and every time (the Beretta having the steeper or more vertical grip of the two).
  • M&P's point almost as naturally for me, though my Shield a little less so for some reason (which tends to point high at times, but not nearly as high as a Glock).
  • I've never owned a 1911, but I had a Ruger Mark IV 22-45 (which has a 1911 grip) and this pointed almost as naturally as the SIG and Beretta (perhaps as much so but I don't have one right now to directly compare).
Owning Beretta and SIGs taught me that the grip angle wasn't the end all be all of pointability and that the backstrap has a lot to do with it as well. After all, they have different grip angles but they both align perfectly naturally (and equally well as I literally can't pick one over the other). That said, the contour of the backstrap likely plays a role because the regular M&P's and M&P Shield technically have the same 18º grip angle but the Shield doesn't point quite as naturally for me. It's almost as good, but it is not quite there, and a there is a larger difference between the M&P and the M&P Shield in my opinion than the M&P and the SIG or Beretta which (leaves me wondering about the CZ).

From what I can gather the CZ is somewhere between the M&P and a Glock, but if the M&P Shield is enough of a divergence from the regular M&P, is the contour of the CZ's backstrap going to be enough to keep it natural (so to speak)? I know this can be subjective, so I am looking for an overall pattern and not necessarily a definitive answer as I'm sure the opinions will vary as they do with other pistols.

I know I should try it at a gun store, but in the near future that may not be an option, so I'm likely going to order one on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 04:10:03 PM by TT »

Offline SDDL-UP

Re: Are CZ's likely to point as naturally as my Beretta and SIGs?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 06:30:22 PM »
TT,

Any CZ in particular you are looking at?  I'd suggest a CZ75B Stainless as a good representation unless you have something already picked out.

It has been my experience the CZ75 line are all natural pointers.

Offline Bigborgel

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:13:28 AM »
I agree with Saddle, I have had 3 CZ's, a 75 Compact, Rami and now a Shadow 2. I always felt they were all pretty natural pointers. I do prefer my Beretta's more though.

Offline old tanker

• "Best job I ever had!"
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:24 AM »
If you like the Browning Hi-Power you will love the CZ75. If you like the Glock, there's no hope for you and you will hate the CZ.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »
If you like the Browning Hi-Power you will love the CZ75. If you like the Glock, there's no hope for you and you will hate the CZ.
Truer words were never spoken  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad