Author Topic: CZ 85  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Redfish

CZ 85
« on: July 18, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Having some issues with this gun. The usual failure to extract which was corrected by a Wolff extra power extractor spring. Needed to have chamber polished. But the slide is just way too hard to pull back. Not for lack of something to grab but because of resistances. I'm comparing mechanics to Beretta PX4 in 40 cal. CZ has 14 lb recoil spring. Beretta has 18 lb spring. Beretta slide is easier to pull back. So far, I've found two reasons. CZ slide clearly gets more difficult to pull when it hits the hammer. The CZ slide hits the hammer about 5 or 6 mm closer to the pivot point than the Beretta, hence less leverage on the hammer. Not much I can do about that. I've had the sharp corner taken off the slide where it contacts the hammer and had the hammer face polished. Didn't help. But when I pull the slide back with the hammer already cocked, I feel another resistance. It's the transfer bar. It starts off in a notch in the slide rails which level out, pushing it down before it does it's thing. The transition angle from the notch to the level edge of the slide is pretty steep. Not a lot that can be done about that either. When I push the bar down with my finger, it feels gritty and does not move smoothly at all. I do feel that there should be a remedy for this. Actually I think it's something that should had resolved itself during break-in but it didn't. Got it back in the shop in hopes that they can do something with it. Love shooting it.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: CZ 85
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
Really sorry to see that Redfish. Please keep us updated on how things progress.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: CZ 85
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »
I had a similar issue with another handgun (not CZ) that the resistance did increase considerably after the slide contacted the hammer. At first I thought it was dragging on the hammer but it turned out that it was not totally the contact with the hammer but also the slide rails. The force of the hammer pushed the slide upward causing the rails to bind. I learned this by holding the hammer down with a zip tie. Then if I pulled the slide straight back it felt smooth and easy but if I pulled upward (as if the hammer was pressing against it) I could feel the rails binding. You can't do too much honing on the rails without loosening them but a good slick graphite lube on the rail groove will help a lot.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles