Author Topic: CZ Shotgun - Double Barrels  (Read 2308 times)

Panoply76

CZ Shotgun - Double Barrels
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I consider myself to have a good enough knowledge of revolvers, semi-autos, rimfire rifles and centerfire rifles.  My knowledge of shotguns could be written on the head of a pin.  Well, not that bad.  I have only owned 1 shotgun, a hand me down Stevens 20g SxS (side by side) that I retired permanently about 20 years ago when it discharged when I closed it.  I have since fired shotguns, but not in the last 6-8 years. 

I don't hunt, except for some varminting on nutria.  I live in south Louisiana and the nutria is an introduced pest from Brazil.  They were brought to Avery Island (yes, THAT Avery Island - home of Tabasco sauce) to be harvested for fur way back in the early 1900's.  Turned out no one really wanted the fur and the things escaped (or were turned loose) and bred like rats.  They are often referred to as 'nutria rats.'  The resemble beaver but with a rat like tail.  About that size, too.  They destroy wetlands, undermine levees and compete with native species.  They are not only unregulated, there is a $4 bounty on them.  There.  More than you ever wanted to know about nutria - coming to a state near you, eventually.  Pretty much spread all over the Gulf Coast, but by far mainly in south Louisiana.

I love CZ, have a P-07 in 9mm, a 550FS in .308 and a 452 Trainer.  I am relatively new to CZ or all my firearms would be CZ where possible (how about some revolvers, CZ?).  Anyway, I won't be using a shotgun much.  The purposes to which I would put it would be home defense and perhaps some skeet and trap shooting.  Any hunting I would do with it would be fowling, and likely not waterfowl.  It'd be a more active (and drier!) type of hunting - doves, quail etc. 

I would prefer a double barrel.  I like the Bobwhite, but have been told that a 26" barrel is not long enough.  What do y'all say about that?  I need ALL the information y'all have to give regarding length!  Anyway, if that's too short, I'll need to move on to over & under shotguns due to my budget.  The Canvasback is out because I won't own a gun with gold ducks on it.  This may be silly, but there it is.  This leaves me with the Mallard and the Redhead Premier (which is at the absolute highest mark my budget will allow).  I like that the Redhead has ejectors and figure that it is also superior to the Mallard in other ways.  I could live with the extractors on the Mallard, but otherwise how good a shotgun is it?  I love the price!  Who wouldn't?  But I want a good shotgun that will last decades and perhaps generations. 

So please give me all the information you can on these three shotguns.  If 26" is just not right for me, why not?  Just basically tell me everything you think I need to know about shotguns.  Even on gauges.  It'll be either a 12g or 20g.  What are the pros and cons of these gauges considering the use I have in mind for them?  I'll never be after deer with them, or even geese - so why not a 20g?  You see the level of ignorance I have regarding shotguns so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Pan

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: CZ Shotgun - Double Barrels
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 04:48:41 PM »

Anyway, I won't be using a shotgun much.  The purposes to which I would put it would be home defense and perhaps some skeet and trap shooting.  Any hunting I would do with it would be fowling, and likely not waterfowl.  It'd be a more active (and drier!) type of hunting - doves, quail etc. 

I would prefer a double barrel.  I like the Bobwhite, but have been told that a 26" barrel is not long enough. 

So please give me all the information you can on these three shotguns.  If 26" is just not right for me, why not?  Just basically tell me everything you think I need to know about shotguns.  Even on gauges.  It'll be either a 12g or 20g.  What are the pros and cons of these gauges considering the use I have in mind for them?  I'll never be after deer with them, or even geese - so why not a 20g?  You see the level of ignorance I have regarding shotguns so any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Pan
26" is long enough for trap or skeet and too long for home defense.  I have broken a lot of clays with a 20" barrel gun (with no choke to boot).  However I was not shooting for my score, but to get some practice with the gun in case of a home defense scenario.  With 12ga you have a very wide assortment of ammo.  You can even get light target loads that shoot as soft as a 20ga.  With 20ga there is not as much variety available. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 04:58:01 PM by Rodolfo Fierro »