Author Topic: Sphinx SDP  (Read 11203 times)

Offline rhart

Sphinx SDP
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:58:17 AM »
thinking about a Sphinx SDP or subcompact - supposed to be more accurate than CZ. Anyone have any experience or thoughts about them?

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Sphinx SDP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm curious, by what measurements is it more accurate ?

Offline rhart

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:58:35 AM »
Not a lot of comparison videos out there, but the  ones I have seen show Sphinx with tighter groupings. I take these with a grain of salt which is why I was asking if anyone had any experience.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 05:00:54 AM »
They should use a ransom rest to measure the accuracy.  Otherwise you could get two different results from the same gun with the same shooter.  There is always a slightly better group that salesmen would use to sell their product.  (You know how to tell if a salesman is lying?  A: His lips are moving.) 

Offline rhart

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 05:21:25 AM »
I agree completely Rodolfo Fierro which is why I take most reviews with a grain of salt. I don't recall many reviews that use a rest like that for any gun. Unless a review is totally independent and removes most/all of the human subjectivity element I view them with doubt. Even ergonomics can influence the shooter's performance and make one gun seem more accurate and most reviewers rave about the Shinx's grip ergos. I like CZ stock grip ergos (rubber with palm swells) and so this part alone intrigues me - that Sphinx supposedly has better ergo's. Comparisons usually involve the P-07 which does not have palm swells and thus it's grip ergos could be better for me.

Offline rhart

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:39 AM »
Sphinx uses polygonal rifling in the barrel. I'm not sure if polygonal rifling is supposed to be more accurate. The most accurate (tight groups) pistol I have is a CZ 82, but not sure if is the polygonal rifling or the fixed barrel.

Offline rhart

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:18:54 PM »
Glock uses similar rifling (octagonal)  in their pistols and claim it aids accuracy. I wouldn't say my Glock 19 is more accurate than my CZs though.

Offline Luger Fan

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
Glock uses similar rifling (octagonal)  in their pistols and claim it aids accuracy. I wouldn't say my Glock 19 is more accurate than my CZs though.

I bought a Glock 19 when they first hit the dealers, 1980's. It was OK but not great and with the polygonal barrel you cant shoot lead rounds. I read about the P-01 and bought one to try. The FIRST mag was better than ANY I had ever fired from the Glock.
Glock is long gone.

Since then I have owned 6-7 P-01's , now have 2, and as far as my 45+ years of owning over 400 handguns the CZ Compact is the FINEST HANGDGUN out there.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:09:33 AM by Luger Fan »