Author Topic: Decent Knives  (Read 9688 times)

Ma}{imus

Re: Decent Knives
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 11:08:57 AM »
Since you opened the door...  :wink:  I have many more than these, but here are my favorites (for now).

Spyderco Native -- Regular lock blade. It's my EDC and my go to knife. I never leave home without it. 3 1/8" blade. G10 handle with texturing for grip. I love the notch at the base of the blade for my finger. It adds extra leverage and bland control during use.

Spyderco Embassy -- automatic knife with safety that doubles as a locking mechanism for the blade when it's open. 3 1/8" blade. Aluminum handle with G10 inlays.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
I LIKE those but especially the Embassy, Don't think I really need another knife, but I have allways had a special place for a good Switch Blades and OTF spring blades (I'm  guessing the new PC term is Automatic Knife?)
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Ma}{imus

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 04:58:42 PM »
Yeah...switchblade works too. I'm not a knife elitist or anything.  :laugh:  They're great knives. Most Spyderco knives are made in Golden, CO.

I used to be a huge Kershaw fan, but it seems their quality has slipped over the years.

One day when I decided to spend $ on a knife rather than a handgun I will get a Microtech for kicks and giggles.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
I think thats should be $$ not $  :laugh:  I just saw those earlier today and they are shiny but they are NOT in-expensive.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 09:25:38 PM »
I may have mentioned this before, but I really want a Glock knife... I'm not huge on their pistols (good pistols, but NOT CZs  :laugh: ), but the their cutlery looks inexpensive, relatively well-made, and seems like it would give you years of pretty good service. I've seen torture tests of their knives and they will take a serious beating and still do work. What's the opinion of you more experienced gents?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »
         If you want a good knife that is going t be hard to find, and pretty shiny to boot, then see if you can find the Beretta Series of folding knives that have the bullet calibre on the hilt. All of them EXCET the little .22 version unlock when you press the bullet. I think there were 4 of styles/kinds/calibres made. The (the 9mm you see in my posted pic of knives) and a .22, and a .45 and I can't remember the others. I have only the 9MM and the .22 models.

They were designed and made by SEKI-Japan

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2011, 08:03:23 AM »
I'm hoping this isn't supposed to just be CZ accessories...

So I've been looking at the Glock 81 field knife, and I wonder if anyone has any experience with them. I would like a nice knife, but I don't have $250 to spend on one. I wish I could remember the name of the really nice one at the gun shop.

What will this be used for? Well, until the zombies come, its primary use will be to keep my fork company.  :tongue:
Seriously though, it will be utility. I do like the Glock line for what they cost. I almost have my mind made up, but if any of you have bad experiences with this blade, you could save me from a poor (if fairly cheap) purchase. Thanks!

Arkansas is home to many quality knife makers. Personally I find the Jimmy Lile (Rambo First Blood original) line very interesting. http://www.jimmylile.com/ I have a couple and the quality is impeccable.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:06:18 AM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
WOW! :shocked: And here I thought Al Mar Knives were pricey!!!  :shocked: I would have to take a loan just to afford the lock blades  :laugh: or give up buying a CZ. .............................................ya not any day soon.  :cheesy: Great design and well thought out. I would like to know how they balance out. If I can't lay the cross bar across my first finger and have the knife stay level without having to jiggle it around to stay, I think of that as a good knife, and I recon those folks know how to make a good or great knife, just not in my budget range. I will post the URL in the Accessories Board though.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2011, 11:55:14 AM »
OK let me pull in the reins a little. Right here in San Marcos we have a brilliant knifesmith Jerry Halfrich. Check out his damascus blades. Beauties. http://halfrichknives.com/

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:53:02 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Ma}{imus

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
For non-custom blades I've found http://www.bladehq.com to have some of the most reasonable prices out there. I bought my Spyderco Embassy from them and I'm looking to pickup a Microtech UTX-70 (pictured below) from them eventually. Their prices include shipping and they are quick to ship.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2011, 04:50:59 PM »
          Ya, I was just looking at those, and it's weird that you posted them apparently while I was looking at them and some others. I would give allot to afford a really GOOD Auto OTF knife, that was a combination of Shrade knives no blade wiggling patended locking mech and good quality craftmanship, but you either have to pick one of the other, and the good or really well made ones are not even in my budget. But I can look and dream. Still I do have Matt Lamey's knifes and even if the are fixed blades they are damn fine knives, so I'll be happy with them, and if I win the lottery maybe I can have someone pay Shrade and S&W royalties for their blase locking mech, and then they made to knife itself.

Kivalo

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2012, 05:52:50 PM »
I'm surprised nobody mentioned CRKT.  Some of their models are made in Taiwan and *gasp* China, but my CRKT M16-13Z outlasted my U.S.A. made Kershaw Storm easily. 

I own a SOG Sea Pup Elite fixed, and would consider using the Columbia River M16-14Z (bigger tanto version of the M16-13) for everything I use the SOG for.  And the CRKT has better edge retention from what I can tell.  Be choosy with Columbia River, some knives are great and some are flops quality wise - but I can vouch for the M16 line.

b5.5dan

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »
So, I have just recently decided to try getting into knives. I came across an old Cold Steel SRK for a VERY nice price, but it had seen better days so I decided to get something a little newer. Here's a picture of my Ka-Bar Tanto with my beautiful EDC firearm!