Author Topic: Decent Knives  (Read 9652 times)

b5.5dan

Decent Knives
« on: June 18, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
I'm hoping this isn't supposed to just be CZ accessories...

So I've been looking at the Glock 81 field knife, and I wonder if anyone has any experience with them. I would like a nice knife, but I don't have $250 to spend on one. I wish I could remember the name of the really nice one at the gun shop.

What will this be used for? Well, until the zombies come, its primary use will be to keep my fork company.  :tongue:
Seriously though, it will be utility. I do like the Glock line for what they cost. I almost have my mind made up, but if any of you have bad experiences with this blade, you could save me from a poor (if fairly cheap) purchase. Thanks!

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Decent Knives
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 07:45:38 AM »
What will you be using it for, what size of knife do you prefer, fixed or folder? I can suggest plenty of knives that are better for less money.

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:00:17 PM »
Well, I like teh size of the Glock 81, although a little bit shorter would probably work as well. It would mainly be a "utility" knife. We go camping regularly, yardwork, automotive (and when you work on VWs, sometimes you just want to stab the crab out of your car...  :laugh: )... So just basically a knife to have in case I need to cut, chop, stab my motor, etc. And I would like a fixed blade. I just feel better about them even though I know a quality folding knife will not let me down.

And to be honest, I really just want a cool knife to help hold my guns up for the pictures I take. That won't be its only use, but that will be a use... I'm supposed to photograp a local's collection (and should make a few $ if it comes through), and I would like to have all the props, so to speak

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 01:50:33 PM »
Well for a prop, looks, and functionality, you can't beat a good ole marine Kabar, and they're only $50. Just get some black fabric, a couple handfulls of ammo to sprinkle around and that knife makes a great backdrop.

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
Thank you sir! I found a perfect and beautiful Ka-Bar. Only problem is that it's 2x as much as the Glock. The Ka-Bar is much nicer though...

But since the stores that sell the Flocks are closed, i will likely end up with the Ka-Bar. Hate to sped more money, but i have no choice..
  :cheesy:   

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »
What? 2x more than the Glock? Just google it or go to Budk.com, they're running like $50.

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 02:37:59 PM »
Yessir! The Glock at the local stores are $26-$29... Some clown on eBay is selling them for $120 though.
I don't understand that

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 04:04:27 PM »
OH, in the first comment you said $250, so I was like, "WTF?!?"

b5.5dan

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
Damn this phone! It always does stuff like that. Miserable.I'm going to look at kabar knives right now

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
Now I re-read my first post, I meant to say I don't have big money for a Benchmade or high end SOG blade. The store I went to didn't have a Kabar I liked in my price range, so I just bought a bunch of ammo instead.  :laugh:

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 09:51:01 PM »
     Personally I am very partial to Gerber's or at least used to be. I carried one for a few years of terror and back then it was one of the best of the best. As was the Eck, and of course the Ka-Bar. But go with what ever AVM recommends since the knifes I carry now are either folding lock blades like Kershaws or ZT (Zero Tolerance) or a custom made fixed blade knife by Lamey. And I have them because I am a First Responder, ERT/SAR and need the best I can find (not really afford). Since in an Emergency of any sort, most times I need to be able to count on my equipment to do sometimes more than the average knife.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2011, 09:56:21 PM »
AVM? Arteriovenjous Malformation? What?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes. I like the Ka-Bar A LOT. I like it in every way, and the only upside its competitor for my purchase (The Glock  81) has it the price. So, do I take 30 and get the Glock (not the best blade, but a very good blade, a specially for the money), or wait for a week or so and get the Ka-Bar.

I think the Ka-Bar would suit my purposes much better, so I will probably wait and get it. My birthday rapidly approaches!  :cheesy:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:41 AM »
     Well just keep in mind the Ka-Bar was designed and made for the Marines, and for a long long time they took exception to non Marines using them.  :grin:

I have nothing against the Marines at all (well now that I have grown up and quit hurting their hands with my face :tongue: ) BTW Army gives as good as it gets and that's a fact jack! All the service folks are great people and all inter-unit/force rivalres and banter aside I would never turn up my nose to a Ka-Bar. Especially if you find one that was designed to attach to a rifle as a bayonet. Because then you could put the 2 parts together and you had a set of wire cutters, if I remember that correctly. Feel free to correct me on how exactelly it was done.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Ma}{imus

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 08:59:14 AM »
I'm quite partial to Spyderco knives myself. My EDC is a Spyderco Native. I also have a Spyderco Embassy, but I can't legally carry that in NE.  :cry:

Spyderco has a wide variety of knives: fixed blade, lock blade, hawk bill, tanto, etc. I warn you though. Spyderco knives are like CZs. You can't have just one.  :laugh:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:16 AM »
         Well my personal favorite combat knife was the all time great Gerber, especially their banana leaf(?) design. I am rather disappointed these days in their quality which is why for fixed blade knives I have a set of Custom hand made blades by a world class blademaker Matt Lamey of Lamey Forged Knives in Jasper Al, and as for as lock backs go I carry either a Zero Tolerance, JR Martin Design Kershaw, and sometimes both. I have sort of had my eye on a an Emerson since I am a member of the Order of the Black Shamrock andthey are affiliated.

I was thinking we need to have a thread to post pictures of our favorite knives, and or maybe knife collections, The only thing I would ask just to keep this reasonable, is that if you post a picture or pictures or collection. That ALL the knives shown are Working knives, Not fantasy knives or something not likely to be carried as a back up, last ditch, defence. And not to put to fine a point on it( Chuckles, Ya I'm funny ) but I am referring to Swords of any kind, Machetes, and so on. IF you wear kilts as I do from time to time, then I will except Dirks and Sgian Dubh's.

Also camping and hunting knives are OK since those are expected to go along when camping or hunting, in any manner you choose to hunt or camp or fish or what ever. Oh ya before anyone goes "Well Machetes are used for camping and hunting" I think they are Butt Fugly and I would rather no one sneaks them into their knive collection pictures. There is jack all elegance to a Machete, and I just don't think they belong here.
         And since I'm here I may as well post mine:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:42:58 PM by GhostWarrior »