Author Topic: Removing Duracoat  (Read 4883 times)

lklawson

Removing Duracoat
« on: July 19, 2013, 09:34:58 AM »
Last night, I quickly and easily removed Duracoat from my P11 slide.  It was a GoldenLoki duracoat job so it was done right.  Don did a great job and gave me exactly what I asked for, but I've had it for several years and it was beginning to wear in the expected places.  So I decided I needed yet another project (because I'm crazy).  I decided to try my hand at Rust Bluing.

Of course, this presented a problem.  I have to get the Duracoat off of the slide first.  And it's very tough stuff.  Luckily for me, the solution is simple and effective.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought a spray can of Klean-Strip Premium Paint Stripper.  It was about $8, ims.

Duracoat is an epoxy coating so I had to make sure I got a stripper rated for epoxy.

I sprayed it on and gave it, per directions, 5-15 min. to work (I went closer to the 5 min.) and then went to work with a stainless steel wire brush.  Took the Duracoat right off.  I got 95% of the Duracoat off right away.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Total of 3 trips through the stripper and it was scoured clean of the Duracoat.  No muss, no fuss.  I did it outside so I didn't have to worry about ventilation.

One word of caution.  Notice how the item description specifically mentioned "latex?"  Well, I either didn't notice or forgot because I put on latex gloves to handle the parts I was working with, like I usually do.  It dissolved them.  Says right there on the can to "use chemical resistant gloves."  :P

Bottom line, Klean-Strip is cheap, readily available, easy to use, and flat out works.

I now have a slide, in the white, soaking in 3-in-1 until my bottle of Mark Lee's #1 gets delivered.

I wonder if Klean-Strip works well as a degreaser too?  ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:37:48 AM by lklawson »

kneelingatlas

Re: Removing Duracoat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
That's some great info, thank you!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »
Wow who knew? and thanks for mentioning who did the Duracoat originally, unfortunately he is no longer in the business so I'll keep looking for someone well regarded to do mine.
I have used Klean-Strip more than once over the years but never thought of using it for/on my weapons. It has never failed to do the job if used correctly, but it will and does burn like all get out if you get it on bare skin so use the correct gloves.
Great to hear from you as I know you are a busy man, looking forward to hearing/reading how your new project is progressing. Don't forget the pictures! ;-p
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

lklawson

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Wow who knew? and thanks for mentioning who did the Duracoat originally, unfortunately he is no longer in the business so I'll keep looking for someone well regarded to do mine.
Yes, unfortunately.  :(

I have used Klean-Strip more than once over the years but never thought of using it for/on my weapons. It has never failed to do the job if used correctly, but it will and does burn like all get out if you get it on bare skin so use the correct gloves.
I kept a water hose running nearby.  I rinsed my hands and arms frequently.

Great to hear from you as I know you are a busy man, looking forward to hearing/reading how your new project is progressing. Don't forget the pictures! ;-p
Turned out great!  I'll post a thread on it.  :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 10:21:42 PM »
Hmmm...  I'm trying to post a new thread documenting it, but I'm getting errors.

I'll try adding it on to this thread and maybe, if that works, it can be broken off to its own topic.   :P

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 10:39:30 PM »
I saw it just now and it's simply great! It can stand on it's own the way it is where it is. I'm sorry for the problems you ran into trying to post the project, but it's great as is.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

lklawson

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
I saw it just now and it's simply great! It can stand on it's own the way it is where it is. I'm sorry for the problems you ran into trying to post the project, but it's great as is.
Not a problem at all.  Just a quirk of the forum software.  No biggie.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk