Author Topic: CZ 455  (Read 12973 times)

sydneymark

CZ 455
« on: February 02, 2013, 12:28:36 AM »
Is anyone here using the brno cz455 with the interchangeable barrels?[/size]how easy is it to change barrels and do you have to re-sight it in each and every time you change between them?I love my current .22 mag but also need something quieter so figure the cz455 will fit the bill, i can use the .22 barrel with z rounds at dawn for bunnies at close quarters, then change to a .22 mag barrel for the afternoon and nightshoot for bunnies, foxes and roos.the plan would be to do this twice over a weekend about once a month or so, making perhaps 40 barrel changes a yeari don't really want two mid cost rifles if for a few $ more I can get a better gun and the best of both worlds.one local gun shop will soon have a cz455 twin barrel kit for Au$960, or alternatively i just get something like a new savage .22 with scope for around $500, but figure that will still not be as good as the brno

thanks in advance
[/color]

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: CZ 455
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
I am not using a CZ455 but would point out that you really need two scopes, fitted with good (to very good) quality ringmounts and a recoil stop (clamped to the receiver) to ensure positive indexing each time you change over scopes.

Hillver/Lynx ringmounts would do the job although Sportsmatch have a greater variety of options and their quality (in my opinion) is better. NB Do not buy Chinese made, e.g. Gamo (cheap knockoff of Sportsmatch) or B Square ringmounts.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

sydneymark

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:20:04 PM »
two scopes? you don't think that is a little bit of overkill for a 22 and a 22mag barrel that are only going to used on bunnies and foxes at relatively short ranges?
if i had a sako quad would you say four scopes?

seriously, if that were the right answer, then the cz455 is the wrong question, for me at least, and I might just as well get a second rifle

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
seriously, if that were the right answer, then the cz455 is the wrong question, for me at least, and I might just as well get a second rifle

Unless you want to buy a multi-zero Kahles scope that might be the better choice. I used to have a lot of fun playing around with different centrefire loads and rimfire ammo types but it got to be a pain, even when I recorded scope / iron sight adjustment changes in a notebook.

Best of luck, whatever you do.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 07:34:36 PM by ZG47 »
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline N1YDP22

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
its a good reason to buy another one. you cant have enough cz's.
CZ RIFLES ARE THE BEST!!!
CZ 452 22LR VARMINT
CZ 455 22LR VARMINT AND 22 WMR BARREL
MOSSBERG 44US(a) AND 144LSA
SAVAGE 64BTV
MARLIN 1935 MODEL 100
MARLIN 1939 MODEL 100DL

boxermerc

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
That's right,can't have too many CZ's :cheesy: , i have 2
 455 thumbhole varmint in .22lr with a 4x12x40 Redfield revolution scope with accurange reticle,
 512 WMR coming from customs now with same scope. Looking forward to the magnum, fox won't be happy :sad:
 Cheers Boxermerc

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:46:29 PM »
As far as changing barrels, it takes less than 5 minutes. 2 screws to remove the receiver, 2 more for the barrel. For 22s you should be able to use the same scope, just get one and record your dope between cartridges. Then its just clicks up and down and you never really have to re-zero your rifle. Thats what snipers do. I'd recommend a Mil-dot scope though.

sydneymark

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »
Accuracy and barrel changes on a CZ455
CZ455 with .22 and .22wmr barrels and a Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite scope
Originally I wanted a .22 (using sub-sonics) to shoot rabbits @50m early in the morning around the farmhouse so as not to disturb family and friends (and wildlife).
I then wanted to use a .22wmr to shoot rabbits and foxes @100m later in the day and at night. I wanted to do this several times over a weekend about 12 times a year.
One solution was to simply have two rifles, however I liked the idea of one rifle doing the job of two, hence the CZ455, along with a fairly good scope. I went on to get a Tikka T3 .223 for longer range bigger game shooting, so this way I only have to take two guns with me rather than three.
When I first started considering this rifle, I asked on various forums if I would be able to reliably change between barrels and simply use a consistent scope adjustment to compensate when changing back and forth.
On the whole most people said no, I would have to re-sight it in after every barrel change, or I should have two scopes and switch between the two. The few who actually had this rifle and had changed barrels didn’t seem to have done it on a regular enough basis to confirm either way either. Some thought that this many barrel changes would cause wear and tear leading to inaccuracy down the track (the jury is out on this and only time will tell). One person said they knew of it being done but no-one with firsthand experience could confirm one way or another.
Up until recently I had only been using the CZ455 as a  .22 since I also had (and still have)  a Zastava CZ99 .22wmr. This was my first rifle and shoots pretty well but I decided to ‘upgrade’ to the CZ455 giving me the best of both worlds, a .22 and .22wmr.
Yesterday I finally got along to the range to do some testing under controlled conditions, trying some different types of ammo and seeing how much adjustment was needed in the scope settings when changing between barrels.
The photo show the outcome, after an hour or so testing I did the four targets as shown. I started out with the magnum barrel, took 5 shots then changed barrels and clicked the scope up 20 clicks. Took 5 shots with the .22 then changed back to the magnum, changed the scope down 20 clicks  and so on.
Running out of ammo stopped any further testing, I suspect that the vertical  adjustment is somewhere around 16 or 18 clicks, it seems that no horizontal adjustments are needed, and both calibres come back to about the same accuracy when changed back and forth.
Further testing needs to be done to find the best ammo, plus my shooting accuracy has room to improve, but for hunting I can probably live with the current settings and ammo choices, .22 hmr Hornady 30 grain Vmax and .22 42 grain Winchester sub-sonics.
I also want to do a similar test at a longer range, so I can get the .22wmr set up for 100m and leave the .22 set for 50m. I can then see how much drop or rise the .22wmr has at 50m.