Author Topic: Why the obvious dislike of the 527?  (Read 5697 times)

klw

Why the obvious dislike of the 527?
« on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:54 PM »
The title isn't the CZ 527 but rather problem with the gun.  Why?  Is it so bad that there is nothing good to say about it?

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: Why the obvious dislike of the 527?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:50:16 PM »
I suspect that some people get annoyed with the magazine. It is single column because the original action was designed for .22 Hornet and then adapted to longer straighter cartridges. Single column magazines are a bit more tricky than double column magazines and I can state from experience that the .222 Remington feeds more easily than the .223 Remington through a CZ527 magazine.

This should hardly be surprising, given that the .222 was carefully designed by Mike Walker et al, for reliable feeding and extraction whereas the .223 case was an experimental variation developed for military testing. The .223 case has similar problems to the poorly dimensioned 7.62x51 case re. feeding and extraction, exacerbated by chamber heating issues due to its small body diameter. The military designers intended to adopt a properly designed case similar in dimension to the current 6.8SPC but that never happened.

Essentially, the main source of complaint seems to be feeding issues with the .223 Remington, a cartridge that should never have left the ballistic laboratory, but hey, that's politics!
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

klw

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 08:35:41 PM »
So you are saying that a CZ chambered in 223 is to be avoided?  And I gather that you don't like 308 CZ's either.  Any CZ rifle worth buying?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:21:06 PM by klw »

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
So you are saying that a CZ chambered in 223 is to be avoided?  And I gather that you don't like 308 CZ's either.  Any CZ rifle worth buying?

No. A CZ527 in .223 needs a little more break-in and sometimes a bit of magazine lip manipulation to get it feeding right.  The .222 version works a bit more efficiently out of the box. Some people like to have a rifle that is ready to go, so to speak, even if it lacks a genuine safety catch or a detachable magazine (green box?); and some people are happy to do a bit of extra fiddling if they can use cheaper ammo.

The .308 family feed quite well out of CZ rifles (and Sakos) but do not always work so well in cheaper rifles BUT the .308 family and the .223 Rem are prone to extraction problems when heavily loaded, due to their relatively straight taper. Gunwriters and loading manual writers often talk about military brass being thicker due to headspace issues in hot machineguns (and rifles with violent case extraction) but to the best of my knowledge that expedient has only ever been necessary with the .30-06, 7.62x51 and 5.56x45/.223Rem.

If you plan to do a lot of fast shooting at goats, the .222 is a better choice than the .223 for ultimate reliability of feeding with the single column magazine and, although a bit straighter than desirable (for military purposes), the .30-06 does feed more reliably than the (.012 body taper) 7.62x51/.308, which in my opinion is a more significant reason for its continuing popularity than its ability to handle bigger bullets and cast lead bullets.

If you want a .223, expect to spend a little more time fettling it, and do not attempt to load to military pressures. whatever you do, have fun.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Nipperdog

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
I own two 527 FS rifles in 22 Hornet, and .223rem. I haven't had an issue with the mag with either one. They are both reliable and impressively accurate. I am planning to buy a 527 Varmint in .223 next.