Author Topic: CZ550 Feed problems  (Read 12624 times)

Offline epsanto2

CZ550 Feed problems
« on: May 11, 2012, 06:27:09 AM »
My son I had my CZ550 6.5 out to the range yesterday and while he was taking a couple shots, he said he had trouble feeding a couple rounds.  He took them out and reloaded the magazine, and they went, but with a some difficultly getting the bolt closed all the way.  We were using Lapua.  I was wondering if anyone has problems with Lapua feeding in the CZ's?

Thanks.   
".... keep your finger off the trigger and the pointy end down range"

Big Chief NOWASHIE Tribe

Re: CZ550 Feed problems
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 10:16:00 AM »
I just bought a new 550 American for my wife . I loaded some Norma brass with 125g Nosler Partitions at around 2550 fps.  at the range I could not close the bolt ??? I had measured the chamber at 3.147.  I used the speer data for modern 6.5x55 and seated the bullets at their stated 3.000.   What I found later by loading some "dummy" rounds at various COAL's  The longer the Coal, the better they would chamber. I also polished the "Claw" extractor.  as a round tries to slide up into the bolt face, it would bind up on the extractor, by seating the bullets to a coal of 3.120, the problem was solved.  Look at your fired brass, if the cartridge head has a cut where the extractor dug into it, then you are in the same boat.
   One would think that this problem would be obvious when the rifle was test fired???
 I used a 3/8 ceramic rod to polish the razor edge off the extractor, it no longer cut's into the cartridge head.
  Good Luck!

Offline epsanto2

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:17 AM »
I think my problem was operator error in that I was not completely seating the primer.  One or two in a batch of a fifty rounds would sit a trace high in the pocket.  They looked flush, but when I ran a thumb nail over them, I could feel the difference.  I reseated the high ones, checked them with the thumbnail, took them to the range and they worked fine.  Now when doing the primer operation, I give each round the thumbnail check and have not had any problems since. 

How does your wife like the Swede?

".... keep your finger off the trigger and the pointy end down range"

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:11:13 PM »
I just bought a new 550 American for my wife . I loaded some Norma brass with 125g Nosler Partitions at around 2550 fps.  at the range I could not close the bolt ??? I had measured the chamber at 3.147.  I used the speer data for modern 6.5x55 and seated the bullets at their stated 3.000.   What I found later by loading some "dummy" rounds at various COAL's  The longer the Coal, the better they would chamber. I also polished the "Claw" extractor.  as a round tries to slide up into the bolt face, it would bind up on the extractor, by seating the bullets to a coal of 3.120, the problem was solved.  Look at your fired brass, if the cartridge head has a cut where the extractor dug into it, then you are in the same boat.
   One would think that this problem would be obvious when the rifle was test fired???
 I used a 3/8 ceramic rod to polish the razor edge off the extractor, it no longer cut's into the cartridge head.
  Good Luck!

Welcome to our forum!!! We appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us!! We hope to hear more from you, feel free to ask/answer any question you may have....

Again welcome to our forum!!
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 09:42:10 PM »
Given that the 6.5x55 takes a slightly shorter extractor than the 8x57IS, 7x57, .30-06, etc, I suspect that the assembler just went to the wrong box.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Big Chief NOWASHIE Tribe

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »
*UPDATE*  I put in a new extractor from CZ, ZG47 was correct! it is of slightly different dimension.
                 Feed problem solved !!!     BTW, groups got tighter. I am not sure if the extractor makes this happen or the rifle is just getting "broke in".    We do know,the more we shoot it,the better we like it :grin:                                                                                                                                                                                        

[size=78%]A stranger ask'ed  "what do you do around here for excitement ?  the reply was " round here we don't get excited.[/size]

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:15:53 AM »
If the tight extractor was pushing against the side of the case, I would expect that to affect accuracy.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

bebo

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:56 AM »
Please , would you tell me how to dismount the "Claw"extractor. I have difficulties to load cartridges ... from time to time (same TM cartridge, same pack) and close the bolt.

I think (hope) if I polish it, it'll be better ... I think the "Claw" extractor is not well positionned to engage properly in the rim of the cartridge (too low) ... ??

Big Chief NOWASHIE Tribe said" I used a 3/8 ceramic rod to polish the razor edge off the extractor, it no longer cut's into the cartridge head."

Have you the ref to buy this "ceramic rod" ?

Thanks for your help.

Big Chief NOWASHIE Tribe

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:51:16 AM »
I bought the rod off e-bay some time ago ( about 5 bucks)  but I still had to buy a new extractor from CZ to completely solve the problem.

bebo

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 10:03:37 AM »
Ok, thanks. But you say you'd changed your extractor. How to know what extractor is good?
We must try  different extrators ? All "how to do" are good to know. Thanks again.

Big Chief NOWASHIE Tribe

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 05:11:44 PM »
Yes, i went on-line to CZUSA.  there are I think 3 different ones based on caliber of your rifle. my 550 is 6.5x55 se but the extractor was very stiff, the one they sent me is lighter and more flexible, about $ 40.00 total.  Unless you have some experience with Mauser type actions, I suggest you have a gunsmith change it for  you. it's not hard if you have done it before but a B**** if you have not. plus you can bend the new one too much and it will not work.....good luck

bebo

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:49:42 AM »
Ok Thanks for your help !!!
And as you say "in God we trust" .... in french we say "à la grace de Dieu"
and here , "à la grace de CZ" translate "in CZ we trust"... maybe ... :shocked:

This saturday  : stand & shoot ! The accuracy of my CZ 550 is always more than "very good"!!
Barrel 20 " . Cal. 9.3x62 . Bullet 285gr,  Distance : 110 y . Scope Leupold 3-9 x40  Shoot : just my elbows on the table   Score : all the bullets  inside H 2", W 2"
not so bad for this ammo with a short barrel and I'm not one of the best .... of course :embarrassed:
Sufficient for hunting heavy games ... without the table ... not easy to carry ... :laugh:

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 09:05:20 PM »
Reading old posts....... October 21st was my 70th B'Day.   I shot my 550FS to verify, it was right on, and get ready for the upcoming deer season.   And yes, mine too is the 9.3x62 too.   It may be an old, but slow, caliber but it sure does kill hell out of anything it hits. :grin: 

bebo

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:08:26 AM »
Happy B'Day gunner69skmc !
I agree, this ammo is a Classic ! Always topical. :grin:

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:21:29 AM »
At 100 meters (Your 110 Yards) my FS 9.3x62 delivers one raged hole.   It too likes the 285gr bullet.   When I bought my gun it came with two boxes of Norma Precision AR.   I am saving those for a "rainy" day, when and if, I hunt dangerous game.   My Jager Instructor in German used a 9.3x62 and his hotel(and home) had walls and walls of various game he had killed with his.   He insisted one great optics and, I too, went with your choice of a firedot Leopold on my rifle.   Good choice......