Author Topic: Going to Maryland  (Read 21444 times)

Offline jdr3366

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
Going to Maryland
« on: April 21, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Next month I am driving to Maryland from North Carolina. Virginia recognizes my CCW, but not Maryland. Does this mean I may have my pistol with me while driving in Maryland as long as it is locked in a safe in the car? Or should I leave it home?
Thanks for helping with this question.

Offline GhostWarrior

  • I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3039
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Going to Maryland
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
          That is a question best asked of the Maryland State Police. On the other hand we do have a couple? members from Maryland or near it that might help you. But I would call the State Police, write down the time of day, and the person's name and rank that is giving you the information, are of the same if you call the of Maryland's State Attorney's office instead. There are links on line and also a couple books but it's safer to ask a human being, with name rank and serial number just to cya
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice


  • Guest
Re: Going to Maryland
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
Apparently Maryland does NOT recognize permits or licenses from any other state.

That said GhostWarrior is right about calling the the Maryland state authorities for final say.

It is unlawful for any person without a (Maryland) permit to wear or carry a handgun, openly or concealed, upon or about his person, or to knowingly transport a handgun in any vehicle traveling on public roads, highways, waterways or airways or upon roads or parking lots generally used by the public. This does not apply to any person wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun within the confines of real estate owned or leased by him, or on which he resided, or within the confines of a business establishment owned or leased by him. [3]
Federal and Maryland State or local law enforcement officers generally are exempt from the permit requirement. However, sheriffs and their deputies are exempted only while on active assignment engaged in law enforcement and only with respect to handguns which they are duly authorized to wear, carry or transport as part of their official equipment. Law enforcement officers from other states are exempt only while on official business.
No violation is committed by any person who can demonstrate that the handgun is being carried, worn or transported:
1. To or from a place of legal purchase or sale or repair shop.
 2. Between such person’s bona fide residences or between his residence and place of business if the business is operated and substantially owned by that person.
 3. While engaged in or traveling to and from a “target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, trapping or dog obedience training class or show.”
 4. By a bona fide gun collector who is “moving any part or all of his gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition,” and while such handguns are actually on exhibition.
During transportation to and from the above places, the handguns must be unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or enclosed holster. [4]

Offline jdr3366

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 126
Re: Going to Maryland
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
Thanks for the advice and info.

You guys are the go-to forum for gun questions.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

  • Global Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 635
Re: Going to Maryland
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
After you get settled in Maryland, go to Pennsylvania and get your nonresident permit.  Then go there to shoot, join a club, clubs are cheap there and they encourage shooting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:08:15 PM by Rodolfo Fierro »