Author Topic: CC tomorrow  (Read 69013 times)

Offline jdr3366

CC tomorrow
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
Hi,

I've been thinking about it for over a year, target shooting at least once a week. I'm comfortable with the safety, pistol function, holster, and my knowledge of the law.

Any recommendations for my first day of concealed carry with my 75B 9mm tomorrow?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 07:51:53 PM by jdr3366 »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: CC tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »
ummmmmmm might we get a better idea of what you are talking about? Yes this looks like a weird question, but your post is vague in the extreme? No offence intended but that would raise eyebrows no matter where you posted it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 08:51:34 PM »
What I'm saying is that I've thought about the pros and cons of concealed carry for me for over a year. It's something I want to do for personal protection. I read about others who have done it and feel that the weapon is too exposed, not concealed properly, probably lot of other feelings, etc.

In the experience of others, what are the thoughts that go through you mind as you leave the house the first day of concealed carry?

Not sure why that sounds extreme.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
The other concern I have is that the 75B is a large weapon. I read about getting a smaller pistol for CC, but I think I should try carrying it for a while and see for myself if it's too large for me to carry.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 04:53:53 AM »
The first day that you carry concealed is going to make you feel that everyone is looking at your gun.  Try to wear it around the house first and have others see if the gun is noticeable before going anywhere else.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 07:28:24 AM »

Rodolfo Fierro got it right in one basically, I have been caring concealed since I was 20 and to this day I still think people know I'm strapped. Especially the LEO's.

On the other hand I have been carrying concealed since I was 20 and the first weapon I had was a Ruger Security Six, Then I found CZ's and I carried a CZ75 for the next 25 to 30 years as my duty weapon and my CCW. Never once had a problem with anyone asking me, or knowing if I was armed. The point of concealment is just that concealed. Keep in mind that the primary charge in any arrest is not for carrying concealed. It's for something else and the CC is second when they pat you down.

I don't know if you have kids so this bit may be hard to pull off, but you need to forget you even have a weapon on your person, And about the only way to do that is to simply wear it every min you can and that means around the house. The first time you go out carrying concealed you are going to have this sort of instinctive want to keep checking that your weapon is where you put it, still secure, and still concealed. This is where the word Paranoid gets full measure. You have to make a conscience effort not to touch the place your weapon is hiding, Makes you look nervous and people start wondering, especially the LEO's, So the quicker you get used to carrying the weight of the holster and pistol, not to mention the weird way it makes your pants feel, the less likely you are to give away the fact you are armed. As long as you can look like you know who you are, where you are and know where you are going, along with the belief/knowledge that you have the official right to have the weapon on you, then no one is going to give you a second thought or look. About the only thing that you will have to do is get used to wearing any extra something all the time. If you wear a shirt not tucked in the make sure you have on a t-shirt of some kind, Trust me otherwise the hammer and beaver tail will eat you. Other wise learn how to wear something loose like a vest or jacket, sport coat and so on. The last thing I can say is to not to forget you are carrying a weapon so completely that you take off what ever you are wearing to conceal your weapon while in public, I don't care how hot it gets.

BTW Short answer is yes you can carry a CZ75B concealed quite well and never have to worry about it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
OK. Here are my thoughts after I carried CC for the first time today. No problem sitting in the car or walking around at Home Depot. It was comfortable, although I did keep pulling down my sweatshirt because I could feel that the barrel was inching below the bottom by about an inch, I estimate.

Reaching for my wallet at the McDonald's drive-up was not a problem. Seat belt, no problem.

However, at the Home Depot john there was a problem. The pistol bent over, but didn't fall out of the holster. Can you imagine the mess that would have been? Pulling up and rebelting my pants was a pain.

At home, no problem working at the computer. It was comfortable with the holster at about the 3:30 to 4 position. But getting up and down and bending made the sweatshirt ride up. I was constantly pulling it down.

Overall, I was pleased with the concealment, and felt comfortable (not conspicuous), but at home I felt funny. Thinking, "Is this really necessary?" So, at 5 PM I removed the pistol and holster and put it  back in the nightstand. I'll do it again tomorrow, although it might be a problem because I have a doctor's appointment and will have to remove the holster before entering the clinic. Unbuckling, storing it in the glove compartment, rebuckling, and then reattaching to the belt after the doctor visit seem like a lot of effort.

Maybe the holster should sit higher on my waist or maybe a RAMI would be better? Or maybe over time I'll adjust and carry the 75B without much thought to it.

Overall, a good day.

bigborephil

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
What kind of holster are you using and what kind of belt?

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 05:05:53 AM »
Duluth Trading Co has vest, shirts, etc that are supposed to cure "Plumber's Butt".  They are a little longer than normal.  I wear one of their vest most of the time, otherwise I leave my shirt out.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/

Logan

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
I carry a CZ75B daily and even when I'm not carrying the gun itself (inside certain buildings), I always retain the holster. I wear it constantly around the house too.

I too am curious as to what kind of holster you are using. I have a Crossbreed clone made by Harwell Holsters which is really quite nice. With a good, thick belt and that thing, it sticks to my side and I honestly forget I have it on sometimes and have to walk back to the car. There would never be any problem with it tipping forward and almost falling out (!).

But glad your first day went well.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 04:48:57 PM »
I should have been clearer. The holster with the pistol firmly attached rolled forward as I was sitting, belt unbuckled, in the stall of the john. I don't think it was a belt problem.

I don't remember the name of the holster maker. I came across his booth at the Asheville Gun Show. It felt good when I tried it so I made a spur of the moment purchase. Maybe I can post a pic later.

I started my second day CC. It bothered me in the car. Probably the holster was not in the same position as day 1. I think I pushed it back too far and it created pressure above my waist next to my love handles as I sat in the bucket seat.

With the doctor visits today, I removed it after breakfast.

I'm a bit disappointed. My CZ 75B feels great shooting. I'm reasonably accurate, and it's never a problem. I'm so comfortable with it. I was hoping it would not be too big to CC and I'd not have to buy something smaller. 

Honestly, buying new clothes is not what I want to do right now. On top of everything else I have to worry about Plumber's butt. Say it isn't so.

This is a process I guess. I'll do it again tomorrow. Maybe with a slightly larger sweatshirt.

Aside from the comfort issue, I'm very OK with CC. Do most people find comfort to be the main challenge?

Logan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 05:17:15 PM »
I would say that most people would find concealment the biggest challenge, or at least worry about that more than comfort but sure, comfort would be a big issue.

I'd be interested in seeing a photo. The right holster can make a huge difference and so can the right belt. Many people go through multiple holsters before they find one that seems to fit them right. It's a very personal thing and what might be good for one person would not be good for another.

I can't say enough good things about my Harwell holster (reasonably priced too) http://harwellholsters.com/
At the same time, I realize that it might not work for everyone.

Hickok45 (one of my favourite Youtube channels) just posted a video on IWB holsters which you may or may not find helpful.

But I wouldn't give up on carrying your CZ just yet. I really enjoy carrying mine and do so with more comfort than anything I've ever carried before. And I don't think you'd have to change your dress style either, unless you wear really tight clothes. I can tuck in my dress shirt (with a little "billow" for business casual, wear a coat (heavy or light, depending on the weather), or just wear a shirt untucked.

bigborephil

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 05:39:25 PM »
I used to carry a Para 14-45 with a 2 round extention making it a double stack 1911  with a total of 17 rounds.  I carried it in a CTAC and never had a problem.  The MTAC is the same thought, but much more comfortable.  The real thing is use a good holster and think about your clothes.  You cannot carry full size pistol and wear sknny jeans and a fitted turtle neck.  Lots of us will help you in anyway you want.  Pictures would help to troubleshoot your problems and tell you if we can see the gun.  You may also want to consider an alternative carry if you are unable to hide the gun to your satifaction.

b5.5dan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:21:26 PM »
The first day that you carry concealed is going to make you feel that everyone is looking at your gun.  Try to wear it around the house first and have others see if the gun is noticeable before going anywhere else.
This is great advice. And even when you are comfortable around the house, you will still feel like everyone has "made" you. Just remember that they haven't and you are fine. The strangest thing will be the sense that you have taken it upon yourself to protect yourself, your family, and even total strangers. After a while, you may wonder why not everyone else has made that decision. You are doing the right thing, and you have chosen a perfect platform for your personal defense.

I wear jeans that are the same size as I wore before, but before, I wore pants that wre a size too big. I also wear 3x (have for years), but now I take a 3xlong if I can find it. In any event, it won't take long before you are comfortable and you will feel naked without that familiar poke in your love handles (if you have them. I do...  :grin: ).

Good man!

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 06:37:56 PM »
Hickok says it's a process, and I guess there's no way around it. Think I'll look into the Supertuck. The size of the CZ 75B needs a large holster surface area, I think.

CTAC looks like it might need more leather to make it comfortable.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:02:36 PM by jdr3366 »