Author Topic: Match Ammo  (Read 7493 times)

Offline Fitz37

Match Ammo
« on: February 26, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
I am fairly new at shooting and have recently got interested in match shooting. I am interested in other more experienced in comparing 115 vs 124 grain. I am shooting at paper targets so a 147 or 150 grain is not necessary. What I am interested in is reliability and accuracy. Before I go out and try and purchase 25 different manufactures and types I thought I could gain knowledge by asking some of you. I live in Califorina.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: Match Ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:32:40 PM »
Welcome to our forum!! What type of matches are you going to be shooting? Are you going to be using factory ammo or reloading your own? Which gun are you going to use?
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Fitz37

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »

I am shooting in a league indoors at paper targets, 7,10, 15 and 25 yards.
My gun is a CZ75B that has been to both CZ Custom and Cajun and is a much different pistol then when I purchased it new.
The gun is much better than I am but I go to the range 1-2 times a week and I am improving. I have been shooting Winchester white box and noticed the gun gets filthy after 100 rounds plus I have had a few small problems with misfire and occasional loading problems

I shot a box of Syntech 150 grain and noticed immediately a difference. (for the better) People I shoot with told me to get off the white box junk so now I am researching ammo. I read a lot on-line and it seems everyone has their own opinion based on what gun, activity and ammo they use. I think I have narrowed it down to 115 vs 124 grain. I would like to pick one brand, one type and stick with it in practice and competition.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
We did a test a few years back, using a 75B in a ransom rest. We used most of the major brands in 115gr and found little to no difference in accuracy between the brands. We did not get the chance to do that with 124gr. You will probably need to buy a box of each and see what works best for you....I hope this was helpful.....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Fitz37

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 04:11:36 PM »
Thank You

Offline frgood

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:56:53 PM »
for my CZ 9mm I am very partial to GECO 124gr. and I am very strong with Sellier & Bellot.

1 - I had heard (so it is hearsay) that CZ's are designed for 124gr. So that was my starting point. With that weight, I am getting a very consistent experience.
2 - Geco has a reputation as a provider of ammo among European competitors. I have found it to be very consistent. As a result, I am confident that variations are on me,
3 - S&B has been my choice for .40 S&W competition. I know it is not 9mm, but I buy it by the case and, like Geco, The ammo has a very high consistency in manufacturing.

I find both perform very, very well with my 85 and my TS and could not recommend them high enough.