Author Topic: IDPA Interest  (Read 26911 times)

b5.5dan

IDPA Interest
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:10:41 AM »
Well, I had never in my short (5 month) shooting career heard of the IDPA, and now that I have learned of it, I would like to join and compete. It's your guys' fault!

Anyway, I have a couple of questions... I have a RAMI P, a 75B, and an 83. Would any of these be suitable for use? Once that's out of the way, my next question is this; is the IDPA a place where you have to have considerable skill to compete, or is it like a place where people come together and get better together. I realize it's a competition and so you want to do your best, but are there beginners there trying to compete along with seasoned pros?

Thanks for bearing with me, gents!

Dan

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: IDPA Interest
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 07:25:28 AM »
       OK IDPA and IPSC both have different divisions, and yes it's a watch and learn, talk to folks, ask question, maybe join a team sort of thing, IDPA has I think 5 (or 7) different shooting stations, and you can shoot any or all of them. Both are set up for health challenged people to participate also. Check that to be sure but I Know one if not both of them are. I want to say it's IPSC but it may be both. I really have to catch up on everything, I think I bit off way more than I can chew but dang if I am going to spit any out.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:25 PM »
I ocasionally compete in IDPA also. They're a great place to learn and practice your skills. I'd say use a pistol that has at least 7+ capacity, or more like 16+. Some people use 1911s to compete, and others use hi caps like my 19+1 SP-01. It sure makes a difference in that score if you don't have to reload twice to complete a stage. Any defensive pistol is allowed under IDPA guidelines. You can check the IDPA website for shooting events near you. Its great fun, and the people are generally nice and very talkative. I do pistol, rifle and 3 gun.

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 10:10:17 PM »
That sounds pretty sweet. Imagine me showing up with my 83, a Yugo SKS, and a Savage side-by-side in 20ga. They'd laugh me off the range! Haha

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
Yeah, I think they'd laugh you off the range with a 2 shot. You're not Ash Ketchum or anything.

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 10:57:42 PM »

Yeah, I think they'd laugh you off the range with a 2 shot. You're not Ash Ketchum or anything.
Well, I sometimes enjoy hash browns with ketchup. Is that close enough? Haha!seriously though, the range I frequent wont let us fire from the holster, let alone drop, roll, and fire. I suck at shooting. I'll be the first to admit that. However, I'm getting tons better with each trip to the range. I won't win any trophies anytime soon, but i think would help me improve even faster.

Reason for Edit: Smartphone autocorrect ruined that post.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 09:28:33 AM by b5.5dan »

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:31:44 PM »
Ash Ketchum, from the Evil Dead movies and Army of Darkness.

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 07:19:55 PM »
I am well aware of Ash's work.  :laugh:
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun... haha!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
       Gee and here I was thinking of taking my 52, the VZ 24 .338 Win Mag and my W/W 12 12Ga.  :cool:  And in real life I make Sucking at shooting a a skill level at least one step higher than I am any good at. 
       I have GOT to get out to the range, more than once ever other month! I just can't accept how bad I have gotten from taking all that time off from shotting.  :cry: :angry:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:43:59 PM »
It's tough to get out, but I make a point of going at least every other week. One problem is that I had extra work last school year, so I could afford plenty of ammo. If I don't get the PM school job this year (and I may not because instead of being able to teach Wednesday nights, I HAVE to take an English as a Second Language course. Don't get me started. I speak English as a FIRST language!) I will be struggling to pay for the 600 rounds a month I think I need in order to improve. I can always hit the man sized target at 30 feet, most the time at 60 feet, but my groups still suck and I need help with the fundamentals. I KNOW that if I could go to the range with a compassionate professional a few times it would make a huge difference...

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:24:38 PM »
Buy suppressors and shoot in your yard! Just build a backstop.

b5.5dan

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »
Buy suppressors and shoot in your yard! Just build a backstop.

Hahaha! I LOVE the idea. We live in a detached home, but we're still close to the neighbors. I probably would have considered it, if it weren't for the fact that the ex-next door neighbor behaved inappropriately with a gun on himself and the neighborhood is still a bit sensitive about it...

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
       I posted a shooting correction chart on here somewhere. It's public domain, so downloaded it print it and then laminate it. (I did) Take it with you every time you hit the range, (I do) and it will help no end.

As for your neighbor I am deeply sorry for his family's loss, and his lack of etiquette in using a firearm to solve his problems.

b5.5dan

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
       I posted a shooting correction chart on here somewhere. It's public domain, so downloaded it print it and then laminate it. (I did) Take it with you every time you hit the range, (I do) and it will help no end.

I will look for it. Thanks!

As for your neighbor I am deeply sorry for his family's loss, and his lack of etiquette in using a firearm to solve his problems.

Well, he wasn't a very nice young man, and he was always threatening my family. Not with the gun, mind you. Just in general. It was a few months ago and we just told our 6 year-old that he moved away. We weren't ready to have that conversation yet... I hate that people misuse firearms like that. It really does make it worse for the rest of us.

The worst part? When his sister was moving his stuff out, the neighbor on the other side told her that they had lent him the TV, DVD player, and a couple other things... Stealing from a dead man...

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
     um sorry I have got nothing. Well nothing that wouldn't cause problems for no end of folks. As a ex-LEO I have see or heard of pretty much every outrage that man can inflict on man, And yet I am still constantly surprised and appalled at how low people will go.