Author Topic: New Shooting Season  (Read 11783 times)

Leo

New Shooting Season
« on: January 17, 2016, 10:19:36 PM »
With the new year upon us, what are some of your shooting/match goals?  For me personally, I have skill improvement goals in mind. I am not setting any match placement or classification (USPSA) goals but am set out on improving areas of my current skill set. I find my longer distance (25+ yards) shots and not going 1 for 1 on steel targets being my weakest areas and am trying to develop a plan on improving those skills.  Right now I will focus on practicing on targets that are set out to those distances and making them more difficult by placing hardcover and no-shoots on them. What are your goals and what are you going to do to acheive them?

Leo

Re: New Shooting Season
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
Went out to the range yesterday and put a few hundred rounds down range. Before this, my last live fire practice session was in the late summer/early fall of last year. With dry fire practice and local club matches as my main means of improvement.  Something was very evident today. I was not gripping the gun hard enough. This is a very common phenomenon that happens with those who dry fire more than live fire.  As soon as I made a conscious effort to grip thr gun harder, it was much easier to track my sights on subsequent shots and my shot placement was much tighter to each other. I continued to do this throughout the session and made a mental note on the grip pressure I was applying.  I will continue to work on this and report back.

Offline Speed0verdose

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »
I'm doing the same thing with my weak hand and the results have been Alpha Charlie on the mid-long range shots under speed. I have to make myself train more on getting that grip right.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 07:56:18 PM »
I am concentrating on improving my IDPA skills. My long distance shooting definitely needs work. I'm shooting several sanctioned matches this year and hoping for a top 5 or even top 3 finish (took 6th place at last sanctioned match). Shooting local matches is where the majority of my practice come from, I shoot both IDPA and USPSA. I use the USPSA to practice for IDPA, it is great for practicing movement, shooting on the move, longer distance shots. The rest (cover, reloads, etc) I can do in dry fire.....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 07:34:57 PM »
Same here,, my grip. After the Fl open and my performance, I need to go back and run some basic drills, trigger prep and sight alignment.

Offline MMC

• Smooth is Fast
    • My Youtube Channel:
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:27 PM »
Im a little late to this party but I have been focusing on better positioning/technique between arrays. Also footwork is something I am trying to focus on. I think in USPSA and IDPA I lose a lot of time coming into position and then bringing the gun to eye level. My transitions are acceptable to me for now but all my movement has been re-evaluated this year. It seems to be apying off though,  :)

Smooth is Fast

Offline slingshots

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 01:08:46 PM »
I like to dial in my sights and reaffirm point of aim/impact on my first live fire session of the new season followed by a medley of skills and if you have one, a baseline that you can shoot to compare against prior ones to reestablish near term top skills opportunities for improvement. From there, charting your goals and lining up plans against your first/few sanctioned matches helps both take the rust off the wheels and give you some goals to target.

Offline frgood

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 07:12:52 PM »
Since I lost a year of shooting, I am looking forward to taking my first class in another week. It will be with Manny Bragg and I'm looking to get a solid Dry fire practice routine established. I'm looking to move as far as I can in USPSA Limited division this year.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 07:30:19 PM »
Awesome...When will you be back to competing?
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline slingshots

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
What's everyone's first sanctioned match of the season?

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
Uspsa florida state match

Offline frgood

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
I'll Be at Volusia tomorrow only to pick up some stuff from Travis. But on Sunday, I schedule a training class with Manny. I'm hoping to start practicing Monday and go to my first match in a couple of weeks.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »
2017 Florida State IDPA championship
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 05:01:50 PM »
Cool...I'm going to be shooting the Space Coast match there tomorrow and IDPA there on Sunday. My son will be with me...
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline Dvrdwn72