Author Topic: Bullseye Shooting  (Read 11656 times)

Offline jrice

Bullseye Shooting
« on: June 06, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
Being a newbie to the forum, please advise me if this is not the place to post this thread. Last week I purchased a new CZ75 B Omega. At the range. my shots grouped high and to the left of center. First is this normal and how do most members correct this. Thanks in advance. Jerry

Leo

Re: Bullseye Shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
Are you a seasoned shooter who has a good grasp of shooting fundamentals? Are you shooting off hand and at what distance? Have you tried shooting the gun off of a rest or better yet, a ransom rest to see what the gun can do mechanically?  A little more info is needed to further help.

Offline jrice

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 08:37:20 AM »
Leo, Thank you for your interest in helping me improve my shooting skills. I have been shooting all my life. I only started serious pistol bulls eye shooting in 2010. I shoot off hand. The distance at the range I shoot often is like 30 feet. I have never shot either my Beretta 92 or CZ 75 Omega off a rest. In fact, I purchased my CZ Omega only last week. I purchased it new. My first attempt with the CZ was to shoot a shorter COAL (because of the short rifling lead in) bullet that I shoot in my Beretta, but had, going into battery issues. My friend loaned me his RCBS 09-124-CN mold. I have a box of these loaded that I will try Monday. The COAL that I settled on with the RCBS bullet was 1.025. Again, many thanks for you taking the time to steer me in the right direction. Jerry 

Leo

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »
I am glad to help in anyway I can. I would recommend shooting it off of a rest to see what it is doing mechanically. Once you have a few good representations of where it is printing on paper, go back to shooting freestyle and see what happens.

Offline jrice

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »
Leo, I will do the rest as you suggested. Say the pistol shoots off center, with fixed sight, would I go with an adjustable rear sight? Your recommendation makes so much cense to me now, because shooting groups off a rest can lead to identifying shooter errors. Thanks.

Leo

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:00 AM »
Me personally, I prefer fixed sights. I have broken too many adjustables to be trusted in competition. Getting fixed sights perfect can and will take a little more work but once set, they are rock solid.  If you do not depend on your firearm in competition or self defense, adjustables will work and will make zeroing the gun a lot easier.  With that being said, I am using a couple of TS oranges in competition which come with CZs newest adjustable rear sight. They are of a new design and have been reliable so far. We shall see though. Only time will tell.

Offline jrice

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »
Leo, I am glad to hear that you prefer fixed sights. I have had an adjustable sight by a reputable sight producer break. Would like to hear more from you about fixed sights. My new CZ 75 Omega had the rear sight staked in. If I find, by shooting off a rest, that the gun itself is not center bull or 6 o'clock hold, do you just compensate with sight picture? Jerry

Leo

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:56:30 AM »
I would drift the rear for windage and change the height of the front for elevation adjustments. Dawson precision has a "calculator" to find the right front sight.

Offline jrice

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 08:13:36 PM »
Thanks Leo...Jerry