Author Topic: CZ550FS  (Read 5594 times)

Offline gunner69skmc

CZ550FS
« on: November 27, 2011, 05:47:23 PM »
Got a great deal on a CZ550FS in 9.3x62mm on Gunbroker.   I should have it in my hands before next friday.   I have two retired US Air Force friends who have repeatedly invited me to hunt moose/bear up their.   They told me to buy a rifle, not bring my .308 to Alaska.   If the 9.3x62mm won't do the job I guess I don't want to go........ kidding.   From what I have read the caliber as well as the CZ550 full stock are great items.   I am planning to mount a Leopold VX-R 2-7 power with the ballistic firedot recticle.    Any comments?

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: CZ550FS
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
           Well if it's anything like my CZ550UCS .308 you have one heck of a longgun there. And apparently from what I have just spent the last hour reading it's (the 9.3x62mm)  going to be a pretty good longun for what you will be ahuntin. I'm beginning to regret giving my CZ/VZ 58 .338 Win Mag to my older brother to have and then pass down to his family, but he lives up in Washington State (Battle Ground) and I live in Florida. So I suppose he will need it more than I would.  :cool: I'll just hang on to my CZ 550 UCS and my Saiga .308's and be happy. Although I am seriously thinking about getting a Lapua just in case I ever run into a grizzly here in Orlando. If nothing else I can allways hunt Semi's with it. The only draw back to that idea is actually skinning the things is a pain and time consuming, and the drivers are usually fairly offended.  :laugh:

Oh and Welcome to the Forum, we are glad to have you, and please let us know how the hunt goes, maybe throw in a picture or 2? But if you do please use a photo hosting service like snapfish, or photobucket to use as the link for the pictures. Photos eat up hugh amounts of Hard Drive space. And then they jack up the hosting costs and I'm paying for this out of my own pocket, and I'm as cheap as they come.  :cool:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:01:07 AM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 10:03:11 PM »
I appreciate the quick reply.   I will use photobucket for any Fotos I have.   Yeah,   I am busy buying brass, bullets, powder, dies and such.   Damn, the ammo is expensive......   Looks like the local whitetails will have to be my "test bed" for the 286gr bullet.

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:30:07 AM »
Yeah, useful i.e. proper hunting ammo does cost money, but the funny thing is ... I usually spend more on roadside takeaways and service station food than I do on the ammo I shoot off during the trip.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:31 AM »
Yeah that's true,  figure license, transportation, gas, food, lodging, meat and trophy care, etc.    I have a friend that wanted to go on a hog hunt with me.   When I told him what the "incidentals" were expected to be, he promptly backed out.  He he......  sometimes our "hobbys" can cost a bit.

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:52:49 PM »
Well the rifle is here,  the mounts are in and the Leopold scope showed up in the mail.   Today the powder measure showed up so I am ready to load up some 9.3x62 with the Midway goodies (brass, bullets and dies) that came last week.   Should have a range report in the next week or so.  In the last couple weeks the USPS Mail Man, UPS Truck and FEDEX Truck have been making my drive a "turn arround" point.

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:27:32 PM »
I reloaded some new Hornady brass with 50.0gr of IMR 4064, Nosler 286gr bullet, Federal LR Primers.  Don't have a clue what the muzzle velocity in the 20.5" barrel is, no crono, but it grouped just under an inch at 100 yards.  Have a Leopold VX-R 2-7 firedot mounted on it.   Fine optics.....
Shot a large doe, at about 86yards,  Simmons rangefinder, dropped on the spot.   NO meat damage at all.   This old caliber rocks!  Sorry no pics as my son took the camera and his girlfriend to Florida for New Years.   :sad:

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »
Great result. On target and one animal already! Chronograph data is nice but I tend to use it more for safety purposes, i.e. pressure indication, for hunting loads.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
           Out standing! Congratulations on your new long gun and your first kill. Looking forward to hearing more about how different loads and or trophies. Great way to start the year

Happy New Year
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline gunner69skmc

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 11:30:02 PM »
Well, since my last post I have passed up 9 doe and three spikes.   I don't believe in shooting spikes unless they are "abshoots buck" (deformed/cull bucks in German).    This is my last week coming up, rain in the forcast most of the week, so I need luck for a shot at the "cow foot" buck in my back yard.    I haven't seen him once since the season began.   He only comes out after dark.