Author Topic: Gunsmith or CZ Custom  (Read 6121 times)

Offline jdr3366

Gunsmith or CZ Custom
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:15:22 PM »
If I want to replace the sights or change out the recoil spring for 11 lb, is this something to be done by a local gunsmith? Or am I better off shipping the pistol back to CZ Custom.

I recognize I could probably do these changes myself, but I lack confidence and I want it done right the first time without any damage to the finish.

My first choice would be the local gunsmith, but CZ isn't a Glock or S&W. I am concerned that locals will not know enough, and I don't want them learning on my pistol.

Maybe I am being too critical, but advice is welcome.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Gunsmith or CZ Custom
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 10:00:19 PM »
         I have no problem with anything you just said sir. Check the various boards that may have some bearing on your question, I know that the answers you are looking for are posted mostly because I either posted them or read them myself. I read every single question, but the ones I can't answer I do not answer, but I mostly remember similar questions and their answers. There is a guy in Colorado I posted about that is a wizard at replacing sites on CZ's even if he has to mill the section he needs to use the site you want if it's possible at all. There are others but I remember him because I spoke to him at length about changing the sites on my CZ Pre-B to something he is going to have to mill a new channel for.

I'm sorry I don't remember exactly that post is but I think it's somewhere in the Boards, most likely the Ye Olde Gunsmith's Shoppe. Or possibly the General Discussion Board.

So yes the short answer is yes a local guy can more than likely replace the springs. I would go either with CZ-USA Company springs or Wolf springs. both are well above the average. Actually you may well be more than able to swap out the springs yourself. But that part is up to you to decide.

Or you can have CZ-USA do the work or talk to CZCustom about what you want done and see if they can accommodate you. Frankly when it come to CZCustom I tend to refer to them a "Wizards" because of the things they can do to a firearm.
Also I can bet someone else from this Forum will have an answer for you tomorrow or the next day. We have great members only to happy to help out.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:14:54 PM »
I say go for the 11lb spring, and if you have the tools and a stable vice, then IDK whats stopping you from doing the sight yourself aside from you worrying about scratching things up. If thats the case, then take it to a local smith. If they screw it up, then they can fix it to your satisfaction or give you a new one.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
         Dang actually I am really slow, you posted this under 75B so ya swaping out the sight should not be that hard. Just make sure you have a decent set of punches and pin setters, Brass is best for those at least when working on pistols. Well and make sure you get the sight for a 75B, and you may still have to file it every so slightly but there are a lot of Mfg out there that have the sights that will fit, and almost as many you tube movies on how to replace them.
         Heck I even replaced my own on a couple of my pistols, and I am the guy that the saying. "Two Left Thumbs" was invented for.  :grin:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 10:24:16 PM »
OK, 11 lb spring it is. I will ask around for recommendations for a gunsmith. My friend who sold me the pistol might be able to walk me through the procedure as well.
Thanks for the feedback.

duke

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:38:37 PM »
Help me understand, what is the advantage of the 11lb spring over the stock one? tks

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 06:52:03 PM »
OK, I'm not an expert, but this is what I gleaned from other posts.

A perfectly balanced spring "barely" allows the slide to bottom out against the rear stop and then pushes the slide back into the battery without excess energy.

Too strong: the slide doesn't rack all the way and the pistol jams.

Too weak: the recoil forces the slide back too hard, placing unnecessary wear on the slide stop, and there may not be sufficient tension to force the slide back into battery.

Manufacturer's use an "average" slide to handle a wide variety of loads. If you're shooting lighter loads, then there might be value from a weaker spring.

For shooting hot loads you probably benefit from a heavier spring, which absorbs more of the recoil before the slide hits the stop.

Despite what I wrote earlier, my normal MOA is not to change things unless there is a problem or a well-defined benefit. My CZ 75B (standard 14 lb recoil spring) shoots great. Therefore, I probably will not consider any change until it's needed. It's just good to know the options.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:02:07 PM by jdr3366 »

duke

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »
You explained that well.  I've only owned revolvers so when shooting reloads it never mattered whether light or hard loads were used, the gun always worked.  I'm going to be target shooting and my reloads will be light, so what do I look for on the slide stop for abnormal wear to know if I should change the spring?

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
I believe that when the recoil spring gets weak you notice greater recoil because the spring is too weak to control or dampen the rearward movement of the slide. So, it hits the stop harder.

Also, there may be misfeeds because of insufficient tension to move the slide back into the battery.

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »
So far for the few thousand rounds I've shot this year, my 11LB spring has held up great. I was told that the one that comes factory in the pistols is to handle NATO loads, and they're heavier and loaded hotter than normal WWB target ammo, so 11LB is great.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »
  Angryvikingman, is the performance of the 11 lb spring really superior to the original equipment? Is there a noticeable difference in how the pistol feels or recoils, or greater accuracy, or anything else at a practical level?

Appreciate your insights on this.

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »
Yes, I feel like it is. When I got the spring, I fired a mag with each spring so I could tell the difference. The factory spring would bring me down off target for follow up shots, so I had to adjust my aim after each shot. Now it seems like I can fire faster and more accurately (when/if I get to practice) when I compete. To me, yes, a hell of a difference, in a good way.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
Thanks. That's helpful.

What ammo do you use?  115, 124, 147 grain???

AT some point I would also like to compete, probably in IDPA.