Author Topic: Frame/Front and Back Strap Info  (Read 5515 times)

Kivalo

Frame/Front and Back Strap Info
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:59 PM »
Hi all, I'm considering buying a new CZ - it will be my first handgun : )

I went to the local gun shop today and handled a few of their available models.  I'm considering a pistol primarily for carry, but something that is also accurate enough to have some fun reaching out at the range.  I was initially very interested in the SP-01, but determined that it is most likely too big and heavy to easily carry concealed.  I've narrowed it down to the CZ-75B and the P-01.  My only concern with the comfort of the full size 75B was the back of the handle being completely smooth.  I have relatively small hands, and without any traction, (from serrations, etc.) the bottom tends to slide to a side grip in my hand on a good hold.  Note: I was handling the stainless version of the 75B. 

Can anyone here tell me whether or not I could get a full size 75B with a serrated backstrap that comes stock?  I had no problem with the P-01, but I like the option of a manual safety or thumb decock with the 75B. (cocked and locked or decocked for a longer DA trigger pull) 

I like the P-01 a lot, but I don't want to spring for something that might not cover all the bases quite yet.... I would appreciate some insight and opinions also!  Thanks in advance!

Logan

Re: Frame/Front and Back Strap Info
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »
Hey! Welcome.

I carry a 75B as my daily carry but perhaps a Compact could be thrown into the mix there (shorter butt is the main thing). Or a P-07 with the Omega trigger system (unless you prefer steel guns like myself).

As far as I know, there are no serrations on a standard CZ. That being said, I'm not a huge person myself but have no problems with the 75B (I have rubber grips). The shape of the handle seems to aid in retention when I have my hand up against the beavertail, I don't see any slide when I grip it.

Is there any way you could shoot it? You might find that your support hand aids more than thought.

Regardless, CZs are nice :)

Kivalo

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:09:28 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply : )

My uncle has a 75B in .40S&W, but I haven't fired it in a long time - my hands have since grown and I can't remember how it felt.  He's since moved away so I wouldn't be able to get with him and shoot it again.  As far as ranges go around here, I'd need to get lucky and ask someone if I could try theirs out if they happened to bring one with them.

In the store earlier, I noticed the 75B frame seemed slimmer in my hand than the P-01, and everything about the hold and ergonomics was great - except for the very bottom of my palm slipping.  My hands weren't sweaty at all, although the gun did seem to be heavily oiled. (from the factory for rust-proofing I assume)  Now that you answered my question about the serrated backstraps on the 75B, (thank you) my only question now is whether the P-01 would be a good choice or not..... I might just have to save up and get both! : )

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 06:32:18 PM »
Where do you live?
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Kivalo

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:38:45 PM »
I'm in the metro Detroit area of MI.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 06:40:54 PM »
I thought if you lived close you could try mine...however, I live in Orlando, Fl
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Kivalo

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Thanks for the consideration anyway!  :smiley:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:01 PM »
No problem and Welcome to the forum, regardless of which you buy, you'll by very happy......
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
I have only one CZ, a 75B 9mm that I carry every day. I had good control with the rubber grip.

I was concerned that without the serrations there might be a control problem when I put on my cocobolo grips, but there was little if any difference. IMO.

I target shoot once a week and for less than a half hour, so there's not a lot of sweating going on.

Perhaps the balance and weight of the pistol, and the ability to comfortably hold on tight makes the serrations less important than on a smaller weapon. Again, just my opinion.

drummerboy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:23 PM »
I have a polished stainless which is a little slippery. I cut out some skateboard tape to fit the backstrap and it works very nicely.

Kivalo

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
Thanks again for the suggestions and responses guys.

I have one more question - does anybody have experience with the Hogue grips made for the 75B?  I see them online for <$20, and consider it easily a worthy purchase if they improved my grip with the 75B.  I figure since I'm tight on funds, and the only thing that turned me off to the 75B as opposed to the P-01 was the grip, the Hogues could be the defining factor for my choice.

Has anybody here had the Hogues for a while and saw how they held up? Anyone think they were uncomfortable?

Thanks again in advance : )

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 05:18:23 PM »
I have them, but haven't had them very long.....I do like them, just takes a little getting used too as they are thicker than than stock grips. They are very comfortable and help with holding the gun, feels more stable...
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Kivalo

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:26:58 PM »
Thanks chfields.  I'm used to the Beretta 92FS, as that's the 9mm I have the most experience shooting.  I have relatively small hands, but the backstrap serrations on the Beretta make the big and bulky handle stay put in my hand.  The 75B grips felt great when I handled it, (thinner than the bulky Beretta) but the slippery smooth steel was the only negative.  I think a 75B with the Hogues will be a winner for me!

An afterthought - does the rubber compound of the Hogue grips bind up clothing when you're trying to carry your 75?  My buddy has an overmolded Hogue stock for his Ruger 10/22, and I find it very comfy but a bit sticky.  I'll want to carry my 75 concealed, (OWB) but I want to make sure the Hogue grips don't make it too difficult or uncomfortable.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
I don't CC so I'm not sure, but the grips are sticky...There is no rubber on the back of these, so the back strap is still smooth. I haven't had any issues with slippage though...The Beretta is a nice gun, just a little bulky and alot expensive... :grin: . I was considering the Taurus version, but ended up getting the CZ...
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Kivalo

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
I see now upon further Google image inspection that the wraparound Hogue grips only "wraparound" the front.... thanks for the heads-up there.  I've also looked at the PT92, but the CZ just seems like an all around more reliable and comfortable weapon.  Back to the drawing board I guess!  I have a few months until the funds will be ready to take the hit of buying my rig anyway  :azn:   Thanks for the help with my homework!  :wink: