Author Topic: 1st CZ, 1st Post, 1st Trip to Range Report  (Read 2013 times)

PattonWasRight

1st CZ, 1st Post, 1st Trip to Range Report
« on: March 27, 2014, 12:17:12 PM »
I’ve been wanting a CZ for a year or so  and tripped into the “Police” version at the local gun store.

Didn’t even know such a model existed … doesn’t seem like a ton of background on them on the interwebs either.

Love at first hand hold, slept on it and yep, the fire still burned so I purchased the next day. Paid $550 new in the box. I liked that fact the gun was a bit more unique, and configured the way police like, or at least the Czech and Brazilian police, according to an authoritative sounding post I found.

Was “meh” about the decocker lever but after some range time, I think I prefer it. CCW wise when I feel the need, I carry a revolver, and to me, a decocked gun with a round in the chamber is inherently more “revolver like,” and I like that.

Took awhile getting used to the trigger and the pic link below shows my last effort, 5 shot group, at 21 feet.  Definitely happy with the tightness of the groups. Not fully convinced the rear sight needs to be nudged to the right, as I suspect some loser error with the trigger. I was def much further left starting with the gun, and kept getting tighter thereafter. Time will tell if we drift the sight over a bit. That aside, gun felt great, 0 malfunctions in 100 rounds for a brand new gun that I forgot to even oil in all my excitement to get to the range.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7rKEcR0-TRiQXZWRlB5LUZxWVU/edit?usp=sharing

Question … I like the fluorescent glo 3 dot sites for the obvious help at night, but in light, there’s not quite enough contrast. Mine also has a bit of the paint missing in the front sight and so I contacted CZ USA to see if they have a supply of paint I can use to fill in. They told me to try the hobby store … hmm. Does anyone know if there’s any “secret sauce” to that glo paint? Also, anyone try using a fluorescent glo orange on theirs? If so, pics appreciated.

Well, looking forward to getting to know folks here, and just to warn you, I tend to be verbose. The good news is that I when I have an answer/input to give, I take a bit of pride in offering well detailed stuff.

Oh, my screen name … I do Civilian Markmanship shooting competitions with the M1 Garand, and I’m a bit of a Garand nut.  George Patton called it "the greatest battle implement ever devised." And hey, it’s the last U.S. military rifle you can legally own, as all others are select fire / auto. Every man needs an M1 Garand ;-)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 12:20:52 PM by PattonWasRight »

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: 1st CZ, 1st Post, 1st Trip to Range Report
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Welcome to our forum!!! Congrats on your first of probably several CZ's. They have a tendency to be very addictive. I wasn't a big fan of decockers as I'm a cocked and locked kind of guy, but I got a Rami P that had the frame bulge and when I sent it in to CZ-USA they sent me back a Rami BD with decocker. After using it and carrying it for awhile, I found the decocker not so bad, getting used to it.
I'm not sure about the "paint" as mine came with combat night sights which are very cool. My SA has the 3 dot white sights and they are fine day and night (slight glo at night).
I am a big fan of the M1 carbine, but have never had the opportunity to shoot a Garand.. :sad: .
The boss man GhostWarrior is also very verbose, so you guys should get along great!
Again, welcome to our forum!!
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

PattonWasRight

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »

Welcome to our forum!!! Congrats on your first of probably several CZ's. They have a tendency to be very addictive.
Boy, been there done that. And that's what the Gun Store guy was saying too ... anytime they get one in, it's CZ guys that come looking.  Not that way for me, I came to CZ seeing the reviews and rankings and general opinion of them growing. 

I wasn't a big fan of decockers as I'm a cocked and locked kind of guy, but I got a Rami P that had the frame bulge and when I sent it in to CZ-USA they sent me back a Rami BD with decocker. After using it and carrying it for awhile, I found the decocker not so bad, getting used to it.
I saw that on the buldge ... my take was that it was bothersome to look at, but not an impact on function. Pretty nice that you recv'd a brand new one. Yep, the decocker can grow on you, did me.

I am a big fan of the M1 carbine, but have never had the opportunity to shoot a Garand.. .
Carbines are a "Garand Lite" design. Prices are creeping up steadily. And USGIs are every bit of $2k. Walking Dead effect?

Still, the Garand, is a stopper like no other.  That 30-06 round will put down anything that walks in North America with one round. The WWII guys said it would go through 2 bonzai attackers at a time. ARs and such are great for suppressive fire, but want to put something down fsast? M1 Garand ;-)

There's still some USGI rifles left through the Civilian Marksmanship Program for $625, won't last long and you will never lose money on one, guaranteed.

Okay, off my soapbox now.

The boss man GhostWarrior is also very verbose, so you guys should get along great!
Again, welcome to our forum!!
Ha! Thanks for the heads up and thanks again for the welcome!

PattonWasRight

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
Update, 2nd trip to the range.

Earlier, I had taken it to the local gun store, along with my laser bore sighter. On my first trip, I was shooting nice groups, but to the left by about 2 inches at 21 feet. The laser bore sight was consistent with shot pattern, so I asked them to drift / tap the rear sight to the right.

The owner (ex EOD) wasn't a gunsmith but asked if I was comfortable with him doing, had done a ton of times.  With the gun clamped in a wood padded vice, He used a thick patch of leather against the rear sight and tapped with a brass rod. We checked along the way twice and got it dead on with the laser.

Went to the range and was shooting nice hits within 5-6 inches, at 25 yards, free hand. I'm still getting the feel of the trigger, but was happy with that for now. One of the range guys I'm friends with noticed the new iron, doesn't own a CZ but likes them. I loaded up 5 rounds and he shot about a 3 inch group at same 25 yards. Nice.

He told me about a local gunsmith here in St Louis that is from Czech-ville, and worked for Kalishnakov back in the iron curtain days. Is a master gunsmith and for his final exam supposedly was given a block of metal and told to make a gun out of it. Anyways, the guy is CZ lover, so I'm going to check him out for a trigger job. The break weight is fine, it's the grit I'd love to get rid of that's throwing me off a bit.