Author Topic: SP-01 Mods Re-Deux  (Read 16584 times)

czPhantom

Re: SP-01 Mods Re-Deux
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 07:58:17 PM »
Quick update...the SP-01 Phantom took longer to get from the seller than I planned.  It just came a day ago, so I haven't made it to the range (that's tomorrow).  But here's what I know...
1) I have not done a complete strip to see if AngryVikingMan's suggestion of a retooled Hammer (changing the geometry to match the standard hammer) has occurred or not.  That will come later, but the external elments of the hammer are those of the comp hammer.
2) I have done over 250 decock tests without a single failure.  I tested it in two fashions...1) with a spent round that has the primer filled with solder and 2) with a piece of card stock between the firing pin and hammer. (the paper would show a hammer strike)  I'm attaching images to show what I'm talking about.
3) The SA trigger weight is 4lbs 12 1/4 ozs.  I don't know the DA trigger weight yet.  I haven't been able to find out what the out of the box SA weight should be, so I can't tell at the moment what this migh mean.

So...that's where it is now, as I said, this is an experiment and an experience.  I'm just trying to provide a single person's view and I should probably say (as a word of caution) "Individual mileage may vary."

I'll post another report once I'm done at the range.  More to follow...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
Looks really nice czPhantom so far so good. have fun tomorrow looking forward to hearing how things went. I'll be posting My rang report on the Custom Comp tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:58 PM »
Well, IDK, must have been done by a very knowledgable gunsmith. As I said before, even czcustom says it won't work on decockers. If it hasn't failed after 250 decocks, then it probably won't. Perhaps you could ask the person you got it from who put it on there? I'm sure there are quite a few people who would want to know so they have it done themselves.

czPhantom

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »
I asked.  He said, it came that way from the gun shop where he bought it.  The gentleman lives in DeSoto TX.  I'll ask again to see if I can get more details.  I also want to take off the hammer to see if your thought is spot on about it just being a cosmetic job. 

But, so far so good...

Andy13186

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 11:46:36 PM »
I received my tactical decocker version.  Shot 200 rounds with it and i love it!

Judgeing by how the hammer works, it would be easy to make the trigger have less creep and have the decocker function exactly the same. To do this would require filing one tooth on the hammer to be shorter.  There are 2 little teeth that catch on the sear, the left one is very short but catches, right one is a bit longer and catches full. This one longer tooth is to blame for the extra creep in the trigger from what i can tell.

Circle points to what needs to be shortened to the length of the left side tooth to reduce creep.

The arrow points to where the decocker catches and  the gun goes into decocked mode.

Not sure if i would be up to try this though..  what would be best to use to file it down a bit but have it stay crisp?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:09:52 AM by Andy13186 »

czPhantom

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 12:24:50 AM »
Quick update on the "Phantom Hammer Experiment"...
Well the firing range test drive went flawlessly.  250 rounds of Winchester White Box without any issues at all.  Still no failures with the decocker.  The major outcomes from the test...
1) the DA trigger has smoothed out in an amazing way.  It's lost much of its "stagy" feel.
2) I've figured out that I'm more accurate with the Phantom one handed than with a two-hand grip...go figure.

Also nothing helpful from the person I bought the Phantom from.  He claims that it came that way from a Cabellas.  I don't have any Cabellas near me, but I wouldn't guess that they'd be selling customized handguns.

I think the next definitive step will only come when I get a chance to remove the hammer and get some details on its geometry.  But that will be some time.  I've got a lot of traveling in my near future.  In the mean time though I'm going to try to shoot some shots like @Andy13186 to show the visible elements.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
       Thanks both of you for the posts and the pictures. Safe Travels czPhantom looking for ward to seeing those hammer pics and info when you get back. And Andy13186 I really wouldn't do anything to the hammer at all unless you had a fresh hammer to trade out immediately in case touching up that tooth fails for what ever reason. Just so you aren't without a reliable weapon while you order the replacement hammer. No offence I am NO kind of gunsmith I'm just saying it may be a good idea to have a spare if you are going to experiment.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:23 PM »
If you "make adjustments" make sure you take your time, clamp it into a vice, and measure, measure, measure. Use a straight edge and a level so you can make sure you're square. Even a few strokes too far and you could ruin a $60 hammer.

Andy13186

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »
good suggestions.

Would anyone mind posting a pic like mine but of the competition hammer so i can compare what they look like?

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2011, 09:08:58 PM »
I'll tell you, when I put in my comp hammer, I had to file the safety leg on the sear so it would fit. I must have taken apart and reassembled the fire control group at least 15 times that night. Filed it a little, reinstall, check fit, disassemble, file, reinstall, check fit...ect on and on and on until it was just right. UGH! It took forever, but I did it, and it works great. I'd say if its working good now, leave it as it is. Just replace the springs, and maybe get a CZ 85 combat trigger with the overtravel screw. Then you can adjust the trigger pull were you want it.

http://czcustom.com/cz85combattriggershadow.aspx

Happy Trails.