Author Topic: SP-01 Mods Re-Deux  (Read 16544 times)

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
SP-01 Mods Re-Deux
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:35:46 PM »
Ok, so you bought a CZ 75 SP-01. (Or pretty much any other type of CZ Pistol.) Now you want to use it for competition, or just want to make it the absolute best it can be. There are a few things that you need to do to it. First off you need to replace some springs.

The factory recoil spring is an 17-18lb spring depending on who you talk to, but for it to be more accurate you need to replace this spring. The reason why is because the factory spring slams the slide forward so hard, it brings you down and off target. You'll want a lower poundage. I used the 11lb spring. They range from 10-15lbs.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Recoil-Spring-11Lb.aspx

The factory Main/Hammer spring is also about a 17lb spring. This spring controls the amount of force needed to pull the trigger in double and single action. Replacing this spring with a lighter one will result in lower poundage needed to actuate the trigger and fire the gun. Mine went from about 6 to about 4lbs in double action, and about 3lbs in single action.

http://czcustom.com/CZ-Mainspring-13Lb-3-PAK-1.aspx

You'll still notice that even after these mods there is a good bit of takeup in the trigger before it will fire, this can be remedied by putting in a competition hammer. It has a slightly different shape than the factory hammer and may need to be fitted for your gun. (As of now, I have the hammer, but haven't yet put it in.) You'll need some things for this installation:

First, the hammer itself:

http://czcustom.com/CZ_SA_DA-Competition-Hammer.aspx

A 1/16th prick punch to start removal of the pins in the hammer/strut assembly:

http://czcustom.com/czstarterpunch.aspx

And a 2mm punch to press the pins the rest of the way out. (This punch also helps with disassembly/reassembly)

http://czcustom.com/czmspinpunch.aspx

Here is a video of how to disassemble/reassemble the weapon so you can do all of this: (Its not specifically for the SP-01, but its 99% the same.)

The only thing not shown is how to press out and reinstall the pins in the Hammer/Strut group, but if you look at it and can't figure it out, then god help you. I have to run out to Northern Tool and get my starter punch, then I'm going to do mine. I hope this helped anyone who was in need of ideas on how to better their weapon.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: SP-01 Mods Re-Deux
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:58:58 PM »
That is impressive as it gets AVM. Thanks for the effort and advise. I'm going to actually try it out for myself. After the showing I made last Wens at the range I need all the help I can get. I simply cannot believe how badly I shot even after a 10 year break. SOOOOOOOOOOOO embarrassing. But no matter how embarrassing it gets I will from now own post targets from the range along with the weapon, ammo used, the distance, and speed of the projectile. If someone/ANYone can learn something from my mistakes then I will never regret doing this whole Forum thing.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I tend to go overboard about learning stuff about weapons as soon as I get one, and the out of the box model is usually never good enough. I HAVE to modify it. The same thing happened with my AR-15 and Mossberg 500. I've had my SP-01 less than a month and I've put about 500 rnds through it, as well as modding 3 different things. That being said, it was as accurate out of the box as any stock pistol I'd ever shot, but shooting a pistol slowly and taking careful aim every time is not the true measure of a gun's accuracy. Its when you're able to fire it rapidly and achieve an accurate group that you know you're good with a weapon. You're never going to be able to take the time to aim perfectly in a combat/self defense situation. Little tweaks to the gun that improve the rapid fire accuracy are the most important ones. The ones that I have listed above are the ones that help the most. This is according to the shooting that I have been doing, and the things that I have read and seen elsewhere. I don't claim to know everything about these guns, as I said, I've had it less than a month, but I feel that all of the research and trigger time that I do have has helped me to come to know this pistol as well as or perhaps better than many do. I've also stripped it down to the frame with the exception of the trigger and transfer bar, and it functioned fine after reassembly. Sorry if I sound like a pompous A-hole.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 07:25:22 PM by Angryvikingman »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
      No you didn't. I enjoyed reading the entire thing. It's good to have someone here that can answer some of the questions. I'm serious about wanting all of us, every member or guest to come away with information that helps them at least now and then. I maintain that no one knows it all and everyone can learn SOMETHING. Thanks again.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Andy13186

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:15 AM »
Good write up, but the hammer says not for use on decocker models.  Did you ever get it installed?  Will this hammer actually work on a SP-01?

oops, just saw your other thread, NM
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:34:48 AM by Andy13186 »

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
Lol, yeah it worked. Min is ambi-safety, not decocker. ;)

Andy13186

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 09:38:09 AM »
Oh, I got the tactical version that has a decocker. Will this hammer just not work on the decocker version at all?  Will the other springs work on the tactical version?  I haven't even received the gun yet but im allready planning lol.  I just google searched sp01 mods and this thread was the 1st thing that came up. I just foundout that there is a sp01 tactical section so maybe ill ask there.

czPhantom

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
 I should be able to add some practical comments about the comp hammer on decocker models in about a week.  I just bought a used SP-01 Phantom on GunBroker and it has the comp hammer.  See the attached images from the seller... you'll be able to see the comp hammer installed. If the seller is prompt in shipping, I'll have it before the next weekend and will test it at the range.     

I'll give what information I can once I test it out. I'm new to the CZ space and new to the forum, so I don't have a lot of experience to fall back on, but I'll do my best.  I'm a little like AngryVikingMan, I do all sorts of research and digging for information when I get a new project.   

BTW, I've been really impressed by the level of wisdom and generosity...the members here ROCK!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2011, 01:00:51 PM »
According to czcustoms, the comp hammer doesn't work with the decocker model, and Humbleshogun on youtube says it doesnt work either, and that guy does all kinds of work on CZs. Yes, the hammer may be on the gun, BUT unless it was done by a competent gunsmith, then its probably not going to work. It may work, but the decocker could be inconsistant causing a accicental discharge. I'm sure with lots of time and a stead hand, then it can be done, but the conventional wisdom says it can't and probably for good reason. Let us know how it works. Besure and test the decocker in a safe location with a live round. I'd say at least 100 times before I'd trust it. Of course, one way it could have been done was to grind the comp hmmer down until it is the same geometry on the contact points as the factory trigger and just for aesthetic purposes. Congrats on your CZ, I really hope it all works and that you enjoy it!

P.S. I didn't mean to sound like a pontificating know-it-all A-hole. If thats the way it came across. LOL!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 03:35:38 PM »
     czPhantom: First off welcome to the forum, We are allways happy to have new members. I agree with AVM about testing first but I would suggest using a snap cap instead of a live round so you can try it at home instead of having to spend range fees testing the reliablity of the weapon. Possibly if you know one let a gunsmith look it over, before you even try that. ( I do it for every single Used weapon I buy online, Even if it says "New in Box" it's still considered "used". But that's waht I do and frankly waiting the extra time to finally get to shoot my new toy makes me antsy as hell. Not to mention the extra 30 dollars (prices may vary according to locality :grin: ). But then I'm not a gunsmith, and I am the first to admit it. I can take them apart and clean them but knowing what broke and how to fix it is not something I really want to know. (number of reasons for that but thats not the point).

And please, again, welcome to the forum and I hope you continue to have fun here and make new friends, and good luck on the range. Personally I am looking forward to hearing how it went.

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
If he used snap caps, then how would he know if it struck the primer? If the gun goes off, then he definately knows. LOL!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
hmmmmm point taken. Forget my advise go with his but at the range. (Ya I know you know that, I was just doing my Administrator Legalize) :cheesy:

czPhantom

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 11:11:14 PM »

GW and AVM, your advice is spot on and well taken.   My thought is that as I ran through my test scenarios to verify functionality that I'd share the results and finding here on the forum.  This will be an experiment and an experience. 

AVM, your count of 100 made me laugh, ‘cause that was the exact minimum number I planned.  I think I’ve got a plan on how to use a non-live round for my first set of decocker tests.  I’ve taken a spent casing and filled the primer area with a “crushable” mix of aluminum and solder.  I’ve then painted the primer area with glow-in-the-dark-paint.  So, the plan is if the firing pin releases at full strength for any reason during the decocker tests I should see a noticeable indent in the primer area.  If the pin releases with lower level of pressure then the paint should be disturbed and possibly even transferred to the firing pin.  That’ll be a confidence building test.  Then I can take it to the range with live ammo and repeat the test again (sort of the definitive test).  By the point that this is done, I plan to have run the decocker over 200 times…pass will be no unintended discharges.  I also plan on doing a some safety checks simulating “drops” to make sure that the internal safeties haven’t been defeated.   If it fails any of these then I plan to “demod” it back to the standard hammer and replace any modified components to factory specs.

As I said, this will be an experiment and experience…and I’ll be happy to share what I learn.
And thanks for the welcome and I don’t see any words of caution as anything as suggestions meant to benefit us all.

If anyone thinks the “crushable primer” or "paint transfer" ideas have flaws I’d love to hear it.

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 02:51:07 AM »
Nah, sounds good to me. Good luck and let us know the results.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:49 AM »
Damn you guys are GOOD! I am for sure looking forward to reading how the entire thing works out.