Author Topic: 527 in 6.5 Grendel  (Read 7022 times)

Offline jkingrph

527 in 6.5 Grendel
« on: May 23, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »
I saw where those were to be available earlier this year, so sent email to cz and was told they were to be expected the first quarter.  I went to nearby CZ dealer placed a deposit and order for one.  Mid April( already second quarter) another email said they were to be shipped in 2 to 4 weeks. Last week another email said rifles were ready but they had no scope rings and were waiting for the rings to be made.  We are now over halfway through the second quarter and nothing.   I am beginning to wonder if these rifles are vaporware.

Offline david

Re: 527 in 6.5 Grendel
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 05:08:56 PM »
One listed for sale on Guns International. Says it's in stock.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:45:37 PM »
I also saw about a week a go where Grab a Gun had at least two.  CZ says that the first "dealers" to order get them, not considering dealers who have bonefide orders placed for individuals.  It looks as though the "internet" dealers can get them before those of us who have actually placed orders, like myself who placed an order with a deposit to order. 

Offline david

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »
So I've just purchased 527 in 6.5 Grendel. It's the first one that I've actually seen in person. No real surprises here. The stock is very light colored for a CZ. Sort of a honey brown minimal figure. At first I thought it was a Beech stocked "Rustic" but it's Walnut. The barrel is about 24 inches as advertised, bolts the new style, the magazine is marked 7.62x39/6.5gre so they inter change. The receiver isn't marked "American" like normal. The trigger guard/magazine well is the standard gusseted one and not the M1 style shown in the advertisement. Barrel has a " 1:8" " marking. Oh and the barrel stock gap is 1/3 less on the left side as per usual. The only thing out of the ordinary is instead of CZ rings it came with Warne high rings. I personally have no use for high rings so it looks like Warne mediums are going to be needed as Calhoun was out when I tried to order two pairs back in Febuary? , he said they were going to be out for a while. I'll clean it take the set feature out of the trigger and hopefully shoot it early next week. One more thing there up to c prefixes on serial numbers. That's about it.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »

Stopped by my local dealer, in a nearby town, yesterday.  He had not had any updates on my order so called and was told it could be two to three more months.    I had located one at a dealer that does online sales in Utah and gave them a call  and they had one left, and agreed to hold it for a few hours, actually the remainder of the day until I could confirm a cancellation and refund of my deposit as the local guy understood tying my money up for six to eight months .    Bottom line is that I have one shipped with tracking number and estimated delivery on Friday, so may get to go out shooting on the 4th of July.

Offline david

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 06:22:00 PM »
I'm going to assume you wanted a walnut stock on yours. I previously stated my 6.5 Grendel had a walnut stock. All I can say is I was wrong. Mines a "Rustic". I pulled the action from the stock to do the trigger and the unstained wood around the action and barrel channel is beech blond. I'm a little disappointed in this. I asked not one but two of the clerks at the place I bought the rifle at if it had a walnut stock and both said yeah and to show how much faith I had in this when they pulled the box out I looked at the end shipping label and it  plainly states its an American model. No where on the box or any of the paper work does it say Rustic. My bad I should have listened to myself a little more. That said I believe that CZ may have rushed these out the door some. Before I adjusted the trigger I dry fired it, now most CZ's have half way decent triggers out of the box. This one isn't bad it was horrible. Also the glue job bedding that CZ does around the recoil lug is missing on this rifle. Combine this with the Warne ring it was shipped with and I think CZ wanted to get these out to the consumers. I cant even say how the rifle shoots. When I finished doing the trigger and replaced the action in the stock I used business card on both sides of the barrel to try and center things when I tightened the action screws. Got the action screws tightened and pulled the cards the barrel went back to hard left. I left things like this as I wanted to shoot the rifle. Went to the range along with two boxes of Hornady 123 grain SST ammo. First shot at 25 yards 1 1/2 inches right 1 inch low make the corrections for 100 yards and try the 100 yard target. First shot at 100yards and the elevation is right but I'm 71/2 inches right. Scope has 1/8 inch clicks so add 56 clicks. Elevations still good but I'm still 4 inches right. This isn't good but add another 32 clicks. And only 3 inches right but elevations still good. Time to cut my losses I'm thinking my scopes given up the ghost. Finish shooting what else I took to the range and back home. I clean everything up and save the CZ for last. Clean it and try and figure out what scope I'm going to pull off what to give this rifle another try. I take the oil rag to wipe down the rifle with and finally notice the barrel is no longer hard left but hard right. BLEEP. All I can say is vertically the rifle appears to shoot fine. I wish you luck with your quest. One more thing on my box is an orange sticker with 061317 on it, that has to be the date the shop received this rifle so they haven't been out to long.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:27:23 PM »
Yes I do specifically want a walnut stock.   The dealer specified that it was walnut, and the sku listed matches the sku on the CZ website for a walnut stock.  SKU for the walnut ends in 8, the distressed stock ends in 9.  That's about all one can do without actually seeing it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 06:31:27 PM by jkingrph »

Offline david

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 07:32:03 PM »
The serial  number on mine ends in 9 as in C2XXXX9 the serial number is listed twice on the box end tag. What I believe is the sku is 80670303088. There is a second number 5274-0857-MFAKAB5. All four of these numbers are also bar coded. The box tag plainly states CZ 527 American cal 6.5 Grendel. And there is a random 17FR also on the box tag. Neither of these two has any bar coding. The serial numbers being some what random have nothing to do with any thing. If what you stated is correct mine ought to be walnut if I'm reading things right. The interior of my stock isn't kitchen appliance white but its close. I'd still be willing to bet mines beech. Could be wrong but I don't think so. When you get yours take a close look at it before the paper works filled out if walnut is a priority. Better luck to you. And the random number is 17RF not 17FR. Need to learn to type if I'm actually going to do this.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:21 PM »

SKU's on the CZ website are 03088 for the American walnut and 03089 for the rustic.   I will take a close look when it arrives.

I have some Swedish Mausers and a Swiss K 31 that have beech stocks.  Looking at mine which are quite old and yellowed, even inside the barrel channels, then do show some rays that appear more orange or brighter and tend to run perpendicular to the overall grain. 

If you look at,

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?49-Swedish-Military-Firearms-Forum

you can find numerous discussions on determining beech from walnut, at least in those old guns.

Thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 07:49:00 PM by jkingrph »

Offline david

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »
Unless my stock is walnut pith its beech. Its lighter in weight lighter in color minimal grain and what grain is there shows up because the stain highlights it. Most CZ's (including my other 9 one 455 8-527's) are a fairly dark brown with a red tint various grain and highlights showing  depending on luck. This one is a yellowish brown and the laser checkering showing a darker brown. The only color showing is because of stain or the checking process. As stated previously I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Offline david

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 11:06:24 AM »
Yesterday (Saturday) I went to the local Sportsman's Warehouse where I purchased my 527 in 6.5 Grendel. They had a second  rifle on the shelf chambered in the 6.5 Grendel. It too had the lighter looking stock. They had to get this one after I purchased mine as at the time there was only one in stock. So these rifles are in the pipe line anyway. I was hoping to hear how you made out with your rifle Friday. Anyway I've E-mailed cz with my question regarding the stock issue and am hoping to hear back from them sometime after the holidays.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 11:25:49 AM »

The dealer listed it as shipped on Tuesday afternoon.  UPS showed ready for shipment that night, but did not show origin scan until the next night. Then it lands in a ups center in Fort Worth Friday night, where it seems to be spending the weekend.  UPS originally showed a Friday delivery, but later changed it to Monday, so guess they are doing their usual dragging of the feet.  I hope it arrives here tomorrow, otherwise it would probably be July 5,

Well I woke up this morning and checked UPS tracking and it shows as out for delivery, so should see it sometime today.  Got to go to a VA medical appointment this afternoon and the FFL where it is being delivered is on the way so it will be convenient.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 07:01:28 AM by jkingrph »

Offline david

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

Well good 1/2 a year and finally some good news. I've heard back from CZ they state that my stock could be blonde walnut or that a mistake could have been made. So at least they are not closed to the idea that my stock is possibly beech. They want photos so I'll have to get them some. Hope your pleased with yours.

Offline jkingrph

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »

UPS showed mine as out for delivery, so will stop by the FFL this afternoon.

Got the call about 30 min after posting this.  It has arrived will pick it up in about an hour.

Picked it up late this afternoon,  the gunshop was closed for lunch and I had to be about 30 miles up the road for a VA dr's appointment, routine checkup.   

The stock on this one is definitely walnut, a medium brown with sweeping grain, not plain but then again not spectacular.  I had hoped for a little tiger stripe but I guess winning the wood lotto on one big time was all I was to get.  The bolt action is a bit stiff, so I will spend a lot of nights cycling it to lap things in and smooth it out.  Trigger pulls are a little heavy for my taste, not bad, but I will take it down tomorrow, clean and put some synthetic grease fortified with a bit of moly and adjust.  That treatment did wonders on my other two CZ rifles. 

All in all I am well pleased with the appearance, and will probably try to make a trip to the range Wednesday, thought about tomorrow, July 4, but just do not care to get out on the highway.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:29:53 PM by jkingrph »