Author Topic: First 9mm, thinking CZ  (Read 7633 times)

b5.5dan

Re: First 9mm, thinking CZ
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 08:13:12 PM »
I'll see what I can do. Planning to hit the range again this week. But if the bullets don't go where I tell them the pictures might accidentally disappear from my phone...
Hahaha! I have had this happen... Can't be helped, really... The camera seems to know...

nj22

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 08:15:23 PM »
That's why it's called a smart phone.

b5.5dan

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »
There's this one... I was happy to post it, hoping no one would notice the Flyer. AVM was kind enough to point it out for me... hahaha!

Still, 2 mags worth all nicely placed, except that one little guy...

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
I just download target pictures!  :tongue:

bigborephil

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 09:51:41 PM »
***slightly off subject***
I am not too fimilar with NJ law, but are you allowed to permanatly alter the magazine so it only holds 15?  I am thinking of a weld on the top of the base pad insert of about .392" (the with of the brass) that stops the follower at 15 rounds.  Something like that.  Sounds better than being stuck in CA 10 round hell.

b5.5dan

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2011, 11:04:18 PM »
BigBorePhil: I don't know "For Sure", but I know that the BATF frowns upon alterations, even if those alterations are to keep in compliance of their idiotic laws. What I would recommend is looking for an aftermarket mag made specifically to meet compliance. They know that enough people need them, so they make them (most likely).

Thing is, you could permanently alter the magazine, but that wouldn't change the fact that when you *purchased* the mag, it was over the limit. Someone else could help more, but that would be my best guess... Anyhoo, here you go, good sir!

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=15+round+magazine+cz75&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=2378993192687121721&sa=X&ei=X_PeTr6XAoePigKpx622Cw&ved=0CDMQ8wIwAg

http://www.climags.com/products/CZ75-9MM-15-ROUND-MAGAZINE.html

http://www.epinions.com/review/CZ_75_15_Round_Mag_Blue/content_457842396804

Good hunting!

nj22

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:05:21 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, so please don't use what I say as an authoritative interpretation of NJ law, but...

NJ law is grey. There's no black and white, and this gives prosecutors leeway. Under NJ law, "large capacity magazines" are illegal and defined as anything that feeds a semi or full auto firearm continuously and holds greater than 15 rounds.

The NJ administrative code goes further to elaborate on ways in which hi cap mags might be considered non-large capacity magazines. This includes permanently altering the mag to never again hold greater than 15 rounds. It doesn't say how to do that, but it does say that "pins" and "blocks" that *could* be reversed do NOT render an otherwise hi cap mag legal. What does that mean? I don't really know. It means whatever you do to make a 16 rounder into a 15 rounder can not possibly be undone without destroying or seriously altering the mag, I assume. It also means you have to be really, really good at welding. Mags are aluminum right? I've heard that's extra tricky. And if the LEO who is picky about mag capacity can figure out a way to make it hold 16, you're in trouble. It also means you need to do these alterations out of state, since having them in your possession is a crime.

I almost had a smith alter the standard 16 rounders for me, but decided to just get the 10s. I hate the little plastic nubs but use them for the range anyway. Then I bought some 15 rounders for $25 on sale from CZUSA (check it out if you haven't). So much easier. And if the LEO asks about capacity I have a receipt that says "15 round magazine."

james

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 01:23:27 AM »
Yes have fun with it!  :grin:   I would also take a CZ over a sig anyday.  I went to the range and rented one (Sig) before I bought my glocks and... I was very unimpressed.  I guess you can learn to love anything, but I do not have the Sig love...  My CZ on the other hand is the best pistol I own (my opinion of course).

I wish I was big enough to carry the CZ, but I'm a little bit skinny and unless I'm wearing a winter coat the CZ is just a bit too bit for me to conceal. 

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »
IF NJ law says there is a 15rnd limit, then you can install a limiting pin(s), but it must be a permanent modification. What I would suggest is using a rod and pushing the follower down to where 15 rounds would be, measure the length of the rod inside the magazine and translate that to the outside of the mag. Then measure the follower so that you can place a pin in one side of the mag at the 15 rnd mark and then epoxy/JB Weld the pin into place. The same for the other side of the mag, that way the follower catches evenly. You can't put it all the way through because the mag spring will bind up on it. The pin probably won't have to be inserted past 1/16th-1/8th of an inch to catch the follower.

Just an idea.