Author Topic: CZ 75 TACTICAL SPORT ORANGE RECOIL SPRINGS  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Copskid

CZ 75 TACTICAL SPORT ORANGE RECOIL SPRINGS
« on: September 08, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
Hi All

I just got a new CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange in 9mm. I called CZ USA and they said the recoil springs were : 16lb ( in the gun ), 13lb, & 11lb. I'm confused because the spring in the gun was the shortest which to me would mean it is the 11Ib. Tech support said it had maybe been changed but that just because it was the shortest does not necessarily mean it is the weaker spring. He could offer no other assistance. It also had the thicker recoil buffer installed. Don't understand why they don't color code these like so many other manufactures do. Is there other ways of determining strength like number of coils and coil diameter. I could see what type of ejection distance I get with each spring with a fixed load, does a stronger spring eject brass further? The problem I have with this approach is I had to put the recoil rod in a padded vise and use a wide blade screwdriver to leverage it off. Tech support said this was not usual. This being the case I would have to make 3 trips to range just to check springs. Any help or suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]
[/size][/color]

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: CZ 75 TACTICAL SPORT ORANGE RECOIL SPRINGS
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:47:56 AM »
I have a spring tester that measures recoil springs.  I think that my wife put it away somewhere for me.  Originally it only worked on 1911 springs.  I took a battery J bolt from an auto parts store and converted it for use on 9 mm springs.  It is good for measuring various springs.  The link below is for their new setup. 

https://www.dillonprecision.com/secure-firearms-products-1911-recoil-spring-tester_8_30_25940.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:49:33 AM by Rodolfo Fierro »

Offline Copskid

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the reply and link info Rodolfo Fierro. I was thinking someone on the forum would have knowledge of the TSO springs without me having to spend $40 plus for a one time use (I realize other uses). If I could get some help identifying the included 3 recoil springs I could handle it from there. I'm shooting PF 130 and would like to go with either the 11# or 13# spring and possible adjust my load. I'm trying to tune the gun/ ammo. Looks like it will be trial and error. Thanks again for your response.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 07:14:36 AM »
You could make one  yourself.  A trigger gauge or some other scale and a piece of tubing would do.

Offline NMhvactech

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 05:07:09 PM »
Check out Leo's videos on YouTube were he is testing the muzzle flip of the TSO and spring combinations. He using a 40, but the same principle applies to testing your 9mm. I've contacted CZ USA, UB, CZC, and, CGW, all of these companies do Not recommend using under 12lbs springs ( unless the gun is compensated ) as they have told me there are to many failures.
My TSO 40 recoil spring was super tight and was hard to remove when the pistol was new, but now after about 1000rds seams to slip off of the guide rod easier.
I'm shooting it with the factory 16lb recoil and 20lb main spring at 170pf and have had no issues, but I'm going to try a 14lb recoil and 15lb main.
When this gun ejects, it throughs the cases 15' !!! I usually have to go pick up my own brass as most of the people's 9mm brass falls at their feet.

https://youtu.be/tcT3i4269Bo
https://youtu.be/4hDk6buPRKw

Offline NMhvactech

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
I fully agree with you that All gun springs should be coded or marked for easy id. I'm still shooting what came in the gun, but I bought new color coded springs from CGW to put into my gun. I'm not even going to bother with the CZ Springs for the same reason. I went ahead and purchased all of the little parts and springs for the entire gun, just to be prepared.
Now that it's coming into the slow season I'll have time to test springs and tuning. I'll post my findings.

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 11:32:22 AM »
To figure out the weight of the spring, you can measure the diameter of the coil with a caliper and compare it to a new spring, you can also count coils.  If the gun is a 9mm, the 11lb spring is probably what's in it, if its a 40, its probably the 16.