Author Topic: Is there one good FMJ round to suite most or all purposes?  (Read 22496 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Is there one good FMJ round to suite most or all purposes?
« on: April 24, 2012, 04:38:22 PM »
           I'm posting this in a couple places one here one on the Ammunition Board and one or 2 more places so I can get the widest range of answers. I think it would benefit ALL our members if there was some sort of answer for a question like this.

My question is: Say you have a 9mm and 3 or 4 different 9mm CZ's or possibly even a mix of brands (if that doesn't mess up the answer), And you wanted to stock up on one  round for all the 9's, that would meet pretty much every purpose, things, animals, people, (I hope I Never have to do that), what would you get? 116 grain, 124 grain Sub sonic or sonic, and is there an overall particular manufacture that pretty much something you can count on. I'm looking a ball/FMJ since the only way HP's will work in all my 9's is if I have the ramps polished and I couldn't afford to have that done on a bet. So FMJ is pretty much all I'm interested in.

I actually have that same question for .380, .40's, .45's. .308's. I figure the Mak and Tok rounds I'm just going to have to go with surplus unless there is an American and or non-corrosive answer for those.

Is there a single manufacture that anyone would buy all their ammo from if they could get a good price for case lots, and what is a decent price on case lots for any of those. Be advised I just got a letter from Federal telling me they not only can't/won't sell to me at even retail let alone a discount for testing purposes, but the Federal literally cannot meet its current demand for product. Keep that in mind if you like Federal. It could get ugly trying to find any or at a reasonable price. I don't think this is going to be an easy thing to answer even the 9mm part let alone the others. And if anyone has a better way to set up the question to get the answers, I would love it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

Re: Is there one good FMJ round to suite most or all purposes?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
If I could, I would buy Federal HST for all of my firearms. I have it for the 9mm, but the FLGS hasn't had any in .45 and I don't much carry my .380s. They make it for everything though... It's a great performing round at a decent price. Also, the 9mm is +P. I would imagine that the .45 is as well...

Here you go...
http://www.kylesgunshop.com/viewstoreitem.php/KylesGunshop/pd2214639/Federal_HST_9mm_124gr_LE_P9HST1_50_Rounds_

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
      Thanks I'll look it over. Since it's police grade I'm presuming it's subsonic? Which would be perfect for the suppressed 9 waiting on the suppressor for. Sonic rounds tend to defeat the purpose for some strange reason, having to do with speed and physics.  :grin:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 12:36:18 PM »
I didn't know that's how it worked... I don't want subsonic ammo... I figured that since it was +p it would be moving at higher velocities. I guess you learn something every day!

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
I haven't tried many other types, I pretty much use Federal. Walmart carries it but it is sometimes hard to find. I buy the hundred rd boxes. I buy as many as the wife will allow....usually not more than 2-3 at a time. But Walmart will sell you as many as they have.....Call around to get info on availability. Last time I bought they had 700 rds avail....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 01:04:40 PM »
Man... The title said "FMJ", too... I'm batting zero on this one. Federal is OK. I really prefer the Remington White Box. It has never done me wrong, and I have used it from the .22 variety all the way up to the .45 with great success... It's cheap, it works, and I even got an extra round in a box once!  :laugh:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 01:17:50 PM »
Man... The title said "FMJ", too... I'm batting zero on this one. Federal is OK. I really prefer the Remington White Box. It has never done me wrong, and I have used it from the .22 variety all the way up to the .45 with great success... It's cheap, it works, and I even got an extra round in a box once!  :laugh:

They only reason I haven't used Remington white box is because the Federal was cheaper. I have also never had a single issue with Federal. The only issues I've had have been with Independence (Blazer) and some surplus ammo. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't Federal and Remington both FMJ's?

CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

DJ Jaystone

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
I have found that the Sellor & Bennot is good for me. Seems clean burning with little barrel smoke. Both the 115g and 124g FMJ. About $12 for box of 50 w/ shipping) at Able Ammo. I put together a quick pricing chart for 9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .270 rifle ammo, and overall, they have some of the best prices with shipping. I have not tried the S & B in anything but the 9mm. Cabels offers Herters brand which is made by S & B, but have not tried it either, but is cheapest .45 ACP at Cabelas I have found. 

b5.5dan

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:11:17 PM »
I have had relative success with the S&B, but I did get one box that was pretty bad. Still, I know one box isn't make or break (as long it isn't the Self-Defense stuff), so I don't worry about it too much.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
DJ Jaystone: Hey may I impose on you and ask if you could send me the template for that quick pricing chart you used. I tried doing one in Excel, and I think it got to complicated. My two failures, I talk to much and I over think projects. It's a good thing I am in touch with my anneal retentive side or I would still be designing the form  :laugh: , However on the plus side, I'm a very helpfull fellow even when I have no idea what the situation is, and I'm extremely humble.  :cool:

DJ Jaystone

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
No problem! It is fairly simple, and only has a few ammo places,.but seems to be some of the best prices I have found. Is in Excel. No large bulk, just some up to 1200 rounds. Does not look like I can attach here, so I will send email.

DJ Jaystone

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Ghostwarrior, I can't seem to find your email button.  :embarrassed:   If you can send me an email, I will send back with my list if you like.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Got it thank you very much. It is easier than the one I was doing. I'll use it.

DJ Jaystone

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 04:38:40 PM »
Glad to be of some help!

Offline CW3

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2016, 07:01:15 PM »
Great prices on Great Ammo!
I just got 1000 rds of 9mm/147 gr Blue Bullets from TNT Munitions last month and will be ordering another 1000 next week!  Try'em, you'll like'm!

https://www.tntmunitions.com/9mm-luger.html
IDPA and USPSA
CZ 75 Shadow Custom
4 S&W M&P9s (3 Pro Series and a Core)
Canik TP9SF
Walther PPQ M2
Spike Tactical AR15