Author Topic: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures  (Read 87894 times)

b5.5dan

Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »
OK, Ladies and Gentlemen!
After a great suggestion from SirGillian, I thought that we could use a place to post the pictures of of our days out. This will be Stickied near the top of the pictures forum, and I hope to see all of your photos!

SO, let's try to standardize it somehow. Pictures should, of course, contain targets (whatever you were shooting at), maybe the gun, and if you are comfortable doing so, a pic of yourself. Let's see "Team CZForum.com!"  :grin:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
Oh, I'll try and post some pics when I get home from work.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »
Bah Humbug! No pictures!  :cool:  I don't got to show you no stinking pitures! :rolleyes:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 07:26:41 PM »
Well, I took the 75B and the SP-01 out today. I didn't shoot very well, but I am attributing at least part of that to the fact that I got 4 shots into my hip socket about an hour before I shot.  :cry:
Anyway, here are some pics. I forgot to change the targets for the pictures (In case you are wondering why teh groups look identical for both guns  :tongue: ), but I like the picture anyway. I'll fix that tomorrow. The target is for the 75B, but the SP-01 groups were about the same. As I said, this is not my best day at the range...

Again, I don't shoot TONS better than this, but it's usually a little better. Please don't make fun of me...  :rolleyes:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 07:45:32 PM »
           Old son, you are not getting any hassle out of me. That is a damn nice target. All in all, you put apparently more than one round in the yellow and the rest all in a green area close enough to the yellow that unless they were wearing body armour I would say they did not survive the exercise.

Even after I get my eye fixed, I'm betting my range time will bite and bite hard. I haven't been to the range in a few months so I know there is no way I'll be shooting that well. I'm hoping to just hit the paper let alone put any in the rings.  :laugh:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 02:16:36 AM »
Well thank you sir! Still, I generally do better... That was medium fire; probably one shot per second. I need to step it up if I want to try and enter IPSC this coming season...  :embarrassed:

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
Good shooting..
For USPSA/IPSC/IDPA....let your front sight be your gas pedal. see the sight, break the shot. :)
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
        oh shiney! I never heard it put that way! I'll definetly remember that. I'm thinking of seeing if they have a broken down old geezer catagory in either IPSC or IDPA :cool:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:41:23 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:49:32 AM »
Just shoot in the unlimited category. Theres usually like 3 guys or less in that one. At least you'll come in 3rd. Thats what I'm gonna do come next 3 gun. Borrow a Saiga 12 and shoot in my own class. LOL!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 01:56:50 PM »
       Ya boy howdie! That sure does sound like a fun thing to do. I'll just have to make sure I have ice and heat pads on hand along with some deep heat rub after I am finished the Shotgun part, and I hope that part is last. Using an 18 to 20 inch Winchester Western Model 12 in 12 Ga. Pump is all well and good when you are younger and heal faster and you are only using it to clear crack houses and what ever else is close quarters work. But, it plays heck with your body when you hit 60.  :sad: Make no mistake I would use it in a second for defence but not sure I feel like having that kind of pain after having "fun" and even being up to finishing the course.  :laugh:

Considering I'm a member I suppose I should find where I put the manual about the rules and what weapons to use for the 3 gun course. Really, I'm more worried about tuck and roll, squatting behind a 55 gal drum. (ya like that's a really good idea  :cool: but as long as you have another spot already picked out and just need it for cover only a few seconds) and the running part I might make ok.

b5.5dan

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 02:05:33 PM »
Well, I'm 35, but my running, tucking, and rolling days are over. I guess when I compete maybe I can tape my handicapped parking placard on my back...  :azn:

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 02:28:43 PM »
Just got back from the range. I shot 229 rounds through the CZ 85B.
PMC, Magtech, WWB, and some of my brother's loads that are JHP.

The pistol ran like a champ and had no issues.

All shooting was free standing. Stance varied from Isosceles to Weaver. I varied my grip from a two handed grip with off hand index finger on trigger guard to off hand cupped supporting shooting hand (sometimes known as a revolver grip). I shoot better with the revolver style grip. The two handed grip with index finger on trigger guard I was shooting low and left.

WWB - 20 rounds - 15 yards

Brother's loads, JHP - 10 rounds - 10 yards

Magtech - FMJ - 18 rounds - 10 yards - Shot low compared to PMC

PMC - 20 rounds - 15 yards Two hand grip with index finger on trigger guard for 10 rounds low left, 10 rounds with cupped supporting hand top and center rounds

229 total rounds fired today. So far I would say that the best "cheap" round has been the UMC I shot the first day out, followed by WWB, PMC, and then Magtech.
Total rounds through the CZ 85B is 500 rounds.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:06:09 PM by sirgilligan »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 08:12:17 PM »
       Nice shooting, and I have to say considering the spread of the PMC rounds I'm not sure I would load them for carry purposes. Thanks for the post. I'm taking notes for when I get to go shooting again, so I can run those brands through each model CZ with a Chorograph clocking the speed.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »
The PMC set was two different grips, so it isn't as bad as it looks. The ones on the lower left all go together, even though I was aiming middle. Then I switch grip and got more towards the middle and a bit to the upper right.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »
          OK that does modify my critique, but it doesn't change the end result. the second grip did in fact put some in a more or less in line but not a close line, and you had what would be counted as fliers with one round almost through one of the flier in the center, Ok that made no sense. 4 fliers with 2 of the 4 very nearly in the same hole. and of those 4, 3 were in the green with the fourth way high right of middle top but still in the target. If you really wanted to analyse that group it appears that you had pretty good control of your weapon but did something to change that control at about the 5th and 6th round. So possibly the ammunition is part of but not necessarily the culprit.

The first set in the lower left is literally all over the target with at least 1 flier out of the target completely and one as near as I can see not even on the paper. However you were holding the pistol for those shots I would say, and it's a guess, that you limp wristed the set. Considering, all the other targets showing I would say you shoot very well and once you find your center you will be drilling 4 inch or better groups. I would guess that you may even have used your off hand for those. Or you went with your less dominate eye, or both. The only other explanation is that your left hand over powered your right during that sequence. Meaning you pulled your weapon instead of supporting it and pulling down to control rise.

The one target that is throwing off my guess is the first one and that's just so unlike the others I would like to know what stance and control you used for that target. As for the target with your brothers reloads all I can say there is that it proves my point about your ability to shoot and also he is a damn good re-loader. Which also goes to prove my point about the factory ammunition being part and parcel of your other three targets no matter how you held the weapon or the stance you used. Granted it was 5 yards closer but if you look at your other 10 yard target the rounds impacted over a much, much great area. Even counting the fact you fired 18 rounds instead of the 10 you had been using.  No matter how I count the holes not one pattern seems to be even close to the pattern (or grouping if you perfer) of your brothers ammunition. It would have been very intresting to see what the different speeds the rounds were traveling at since the speed of the round affects the trajectory of the round.

If you aren't allready offending at my critique and I was not trying to offend you in any way, I would suggest that you took those same rounds to the range and re-shoot the sequence, but only use one stance and grip for all the shots. About the only way you will figure out what works best for you out of your weapon. Personally if I was you I would work out a deal with him to buy all your ammo from him and use that and what even stance you used to shoot them with this time.

Seriously the difference between that target and the other 3 is extreme, day and night difference. Heck I would buy ammo from your brother if it worked in my primary carry weapon and the one I will use for competition. The first being a fully tricked out CZ 75 Pre-B and the second one(s) CZCustom CZ 75 SP-01 Custom Shadow, as well as it did with your 85. That is if I can afford to buy from him.

If you use that stance and grip and his ammo, the only thing you would need to work on would be your sight picture and where you you have to aim for the distance, and once you had that down you would be in the top 10 if not higher depending on what competition you were in or wanted to try if any.

I hope I didn't offend you (much) and everything (almost everything) I said was a guess, but there is no denying the fact that what ever stance and grip you used coupled with your brother's ammo is the one you should go with. At least IMHO anyway. Won't really know I suppose unless you take my suggestion and re-shoot the test using only the same one stance and grip on all 4 types of ammo and distances.