Author Topic: CZ 527 Carbine - Bolt handle hitting receiver  (Read 6316 times)

Riscchip

CZ 527 Carbine - Bolt handle hitting receiver
« on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Greetings,

I recently purchased a 527 carbine, and seem to be having a bit of a problem. On installing the bolt, and closing the action, I noticed that it felt extremely stiff. On closer inspection, I observed that the bolt handle hits the receiver on closing the action, and actually wore off some of the corner of the little overhang by the safety. I'm assuming this is a problem, and emailed CZ about it, but was curious if anyone else has seen this? I also notice--possibly related, that the, safety won't always engage, the bolt has to be fiddled open and closed a few times before the safety moves freely.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

--Carson

EDIT: here is a picture of the wear:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p512/Riscchip/527worn.jpg

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
Re: CZ 527 Carbine - Bolt handle hitting receiver
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »
Riscchip

You state that:

1. Your bolt handle is binding on the receiver to the extent that it is removing metal; and,

2. The safety is difficult or impossible to engage.

The conclusions I make from your report are that:

1. The bolt does not fit in the receiver; and,

2. It was probably taken from another receiver.

If you purchased the rifle brand new from a dealer, I suggest that you ask the dealer to return it to CZ-USA.

If you purchased the rifle secondhand, I suggest that you take the rifle to a genuine gunsmith for adjustment, i.e. not the guy down the road who likes to fiddle with guns BUT a man (or woman) who has either completed a traditional gunsmithing apprenticeship or graduated from a full course at a place like Trinidad, Colorado or Lassen in California.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Riscchip

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, my friend. I came to a conclusion much along the same lines, and the rifle has been sent to CZ for repair.
The rifle was purchased new and was never fired by me, for the record.
So far I'm very happy with CZ's customer service. They responded and had a pre-paid shipping label ready to go in short order. I'll update this thread when I hear more.
Thanks,
Carson

Riscchip

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
As promised, just following up with how this issue was resolved, for anyone curious.

I received the gun back from CZ this week, and the issue was corrected by replacing the bolt and "de-burring" the receiver. The action now cycles smoothly. The area of the receiver where the bolt was previously hitting appears to have required some extra fitting, and has been shaved slightly.

I cycled a bunch of snap caps through the action and tested it out and everything is smooth. Rounds feed perfectly. I haven't had time to shoot it yet.

Of course, it's a shame to buy a new gun and immediately have to send it back to be worked on--but I'd will say I'm very impressed with CZ's customer service and prompt attention to the problem. There were no out of pocket expenses for me, and the work was completed in a reasonable timeframe. Communications were easy, and my emails were responded to promptly.

Anyway, that's the update. Look forward to shooting it! :)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 12:12:42 PM »
            Hello and I am happy everything turned out so well for both you and your rifle.  Everyone and every company seems to have an off day, but from what I have personally had help with and the responce time I have gotten from CZ-USA I think they seem to go a long way to minimize those off days be it customer service or QC issues. Thanks for keeping us in the loop so we know how it worked out.

BTW I am not a long gunner by any means. I bought 2 different ones a year ago so I could finely learn how to shoot one (it was on my bucket list) properly. Anything in the small arms up to and including riotguns and sub-machine guns and strangely the 50 Cal. Machine gun I can handle and well. But long guns have allways defeated me, with the exception of the .30 cal carbine. (maybe because it was shorter and lighter?) which brings me to this part.

Welcome to out Forum from FL. I don't always go through every Board, because some of them I know not a thing about and others do, but I do get around to it and so that's why this Welcome is a bit late. We are happy you decided to join us, as we try to give as much information and help to folks as we can, or point then towards where they can find the information if possible. We also like to meet new folks, learn and or teach new things, and have fun doing so. If you happen upon a question that someone asks either here or on other Boards and you can answer it please feel to do so. So have fun, and let us know how the rifle is working now.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

chris in va

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 12:41:47 PM »
I know my reply is late. 

That wear point is normal.  You didn't need to send it back to CZ.  It eventually rounds off over time and smooths out.