Author Topic: New P07 first 200rds  (Read 4520 times)

Offline 1200R

• Photos
New P07 first 200rds
« on: March 23, 2015, 12:24:49 AM »
Hello.  First post after reading and researching the P07 on this site.  Thank you for this site.  I am somewhat new to shooting (been a couple of decades!).  Did my research and decided to go with the CZ P07.  Went out today for the first time with a highly experienced friend and fired 200 rds.  Used a target with numbered black circles placed 10' out.  First two shots were inside the #1 circle, surprised me, literally, with both shots as I didn't know when the gun would fire.  Then I got to thinking and holding the gun firmer, don't ask me why, and I was off by four to six inches low and to the left, shot after shot, hitting numbers I wasn't even aiming for, pretty bad! 

I then tried my friends 1911 and the same thing, not even close.  He advised me to try to recreate the hold and motion of my first two shots.  I went through about 75 rds and then I realized I was gripping it too tight.  The way I realized that is I shot my friends compact Glock and I couldn't get a great grip on it with its short grip and was able to place my two shots on target.  I went back to my gun and target with a relaxed grip and concentrated on pulling the trigger uniformly back and success!  Made for a much better remainder of my range time!  The gun seems quite accurate when properly fired!  I started to really enjoy it.

I used two boxes of Sellier & Bellot 9mm 115g FMJ 1300 fps muzzle velocity and two boxes of Fiocchi 9mm 115g FMJ 1200 fps muzzle velocity.  I started with the S&B and no issues.  I went through one box of the Fiocchi and no issues.  Third box was S&B, no issues, but then I got to the last box of Fiocchi and I had a couple FTF, a stove pipe, and a failure to eject.  What would cause that?  Could it simply be the gun started to get dirty towards the end?  I broke it down and it did not appear very dirty.  Is it possible that because the gun is new and the recoil spring is really stiff that the lower velocity rounds were the issue?  Is it possible I got too loose with my grip and that had an effect?   Just trying to learn as all I have read about the gun in 9mm is that it feeds and fires anything without issue, not my experience.

I enjoyed the experience and I like the feel and look of the P07 - I enjoy quality craftsmanship and it appears to be a quality product, but curious about the few failures I described above. 

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: New P07 first 200rds
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 07:56:20 AM »
After a couple of boxes of ammo the gun was dirty and new.  You may have started to show fatigue especially if you have not shot in a long time.  Things will get better the more you shoot it.  Clean the gun and give it a lube job and get some more ammo.  Then go back to the range.  The gun is just starting to break in.  Cleaning and greasing it will improve operation.  Your grip will be fresh and probably improved after the last session.  Watch out for clenching your whole hand as you squeeze the trigger.   Good luck with your new pistol. 

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 09:10:06 AM »
Thank you for the response - will clean it and give it another go.  I did notice I felt fatigued near the end which is funny that I am that out of condition given the gun is so light!

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »
Well, I am happy to report that I followed RF's recommendations, cleaned the gun, returned to the range and shot 250rds of 115g Sellier & Bellot without a single issue!  Thanks, again, RF!

Earlier this week, while dry firing with snap caps, I realized the gun moved around in my hand quite a bit.  It occurred to me that I normally wear a medium to large in motorcycle gloves, so I decided to swap the small backstrap for the medium and I think that helped.  The gun felt like a better fit and the movement I noticed seemed to subside.  My shooting at the range seems to reflect improvement as well.  As RF suggested, I was fresh and less fatigued and just holding and aiming the gun felt more natural.

My first shot was just slightly to the left of the 2" bullseye.  I did have a tendency to shoot low and to the left which seemed to happen anytime I anticipated the recoil and I suspect I tightened up or flinched.  When relaxed and deliberate with my finger where the shot surprised me, I could hit center or very close to it with successive shots. 

This gun is clearly accurate and a really fun gun to shoot - such a good choice for me in returning to shooting.  I shot at a couple of body/head shaped targets and did pretty well at 7 and 10 yards hitting just left center mass on the body and consistently hitting the smaller boxed head area.

Other observations: 1) shooting is an expensive hobby!  I did the math today and spent $85 (5 boxes of ammo @ $13 each, $15 for lane fee, $5 for targets).  I do not recall this sport being so expensive! Granted, it has been over 20 yrs for me.  2) .45 cal 1911s fired in the adjacent lane are loud and concussive, even with good ear protection!  3) by contrast, I could barely hear the .22 target pistol on one side of me, but that older fellow placed his shots within a 2" radius clip after clip, dead center! 

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 05:21:27 AM by 1200R »

Offline FakeCZName

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
If you will take this advice you can quickly improve your shooting vastly! This works with rifles too.

Next time you practice, take a .22 pistol with you and shoot it first. There is no recoil so it doesn't matter how you grip the gun as long as it is comfortable. Shoot the .22 until you get good groups. Pay attention to your grip hold and trigger pull.

Then pick up the P-07. Hold it just like you did the .22, no tighter. You don't have to hold it tighter, it's not an anaconda you are trying to strangle. Shoot it just like the .22 pistol with the same grip, trigger pull and sight picture. Pretend it is a .22 LR.

Now don't be disappointed if your groups aren't as small as the .22 because your brain still knows its a 9mm even though you are pretending it is a .22. But you will notice that your groups are smaller and more centered.

This is the cheaper, quicker way to become a better shot. If you ever feel yourself tensing up, blinking or flinching or even anticipating recoil with any dread---put that gun down and go back to the .22. It will always settle you down and get you shooting bullseyes again.

Tomorrow I am going to shoot a .338 Winchester Magnum that has been recrowned. But I may shoot my .22 rifle first just to remind myself how fun marksmanship is when recoil is not an issue. Then I will hypnotize myself to believe that my .338 is a .22 and with a little Zen, I should shoot a good group...with a 250 grain bullet!

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »
Sounds like a good idea.  I can rent a number of .22s at the range or look for a good deal on one for $250-$300 perhaps - the ammo savings will pay for it in several trips! 

Thanks for the advice!

hot chili powder

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
You may want to think about reloading for your P07 9mm. Not only will ya save some money but reloading is a great hobby in itself. I have a P07 Duty and reload all my ammo. :cool:

Offline FakeCZName

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 05:43:13 PM »
1200R: So, how are you doing now? Did you try the .22 pistol?

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 11:42:52 PM »
I haven't had a chance to get back to the range since my last post.  Thanks for checking in.  I probably will not have an opportunity until the week after next.   I will report on progress as soon as I can find the time.

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 12:10:39 AM »

Finally got back to the range today.  Super crowded and had to wait to get a spot.  I wasn't able to try the .22 suggestion, but I have been dry firing with snap caps and practicing pulling the trigger smoothly and focusing on the front site. 

Photos posted in following entry below.  The target was only 7 yards out, so not far, but all shots except two were grouped near the center of the target and even the low shots weren't far off -couple of inches.  I am pretty pleased.

Next, I changed to a silhouette target at 15 yards and for fun tried to shoot my first shot center mass followed by my second shot to the head starting from the decocked position on the first shot.  I did this twice in a row and the respective groups of shots are within a bullet length of each other. 

Feeling pretty good about my progress and even better about picking this particular pistol - it's easy to shoot and accurate which makes it fun.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 12:22:36 AM by 1200R »

Offline 1200R

• Photos
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 12:18:08 AM »

7 yards

15 yards

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:24 PM »
Looks like the dry fire practice paid off....nice grouping...
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad