Author Topic: Call Me Crazy  (Read 2652 times)

-dz-

Call Me Crazy
« on: April 09, 2012, 05:30:54 PM »
My experience level with the 2075 RAMI in 40 S&W is about 800 or so rounds through one and about 1800 - 2000 through another.

I've tried everything from the Federal 180 grain Wal-Mart, 155 grain Eagle and Federal 135 grain, Hornady Critical Defense 165, Custom 155, Speer Gold Dot in 180 grain, Winchester PDX1 in 180 grain, Winchester USA white box 165 grain.

The bulk of the rounds were the 100 round Winchester USA in 165 grain. I think the 165 offers the best balance between velocity, energy and size.

Here's where you can call me crazy (if that hasn't occurred to you already, but I digress) I've long thought the 155 grain bullets out of the RAMI offered more felt recoil than the 180, The 165 was more than the 180 but less than the 155.
The RAMI and I parted ways and I acquired a gun from another manufacturer to replace it. I won't name the company, but it's initials are S&W. At any rate the owners' manual has section on ammunition. In this ammunition section it states:

Different combinations of bullet velocity, bullet weight and firearm weight can have a major impact on felt recoil; high felt recoil can be uncomfortable to some shooters.

So I'm thinking, "Well, yeah, duh."

It's kind of like saying vehicle speed, vehicle engine size and vehicle weight have a major impact on operating your car. Once again I digress.

Next it says:

For example:

- Gun Weight: lower gun weight increases felt recoil.
- Bullet Weight: higher bullet weight increases felt recoil.
- Bullet Velocity: higher bullet velocity increases felt recoil.

Okay, my reading of this is with a lower weight gun when it comes to felt recoil you're pretty much up the proverbial creek sans paddle.

Let's take the Speer Gold Dot 40 S&W for example from their ballistic charts:

- 155 grain 1200 fps/496 ft lbs
- 165 grain 1150 fps/484 ft lbs
- 180 grain 1025 fps/420 ft lbs

So if you're @ 1025 w/180 and 1200 w/155 which produces more of a jolt?

My personal opinion in the RAMI the 155 produces more of the scalded mule kind of kick.

Now this is either weird or funny, but regardless it's another opportunity to call me crazy. But once again I digress.

Today I'm shooting my new gun from the unnamed manufacturer and it has a 3.5 inch barrel. .5 more than the RAMI. The bulk of the rounds through it today were the Winchester USA 165 grain. I did, however,  shoot one magazine (10 rounds) each of the Hornady Critical Defense in 165 grain followed by the Speer Gold Dot and the Winchester PDX1 in 180 grain and I swear there was more felt recoil with the 180 grain loads. This was both unexpected in my prior experience with the RAMI and weird.

My whole world is upside down.

I guess the thing to do now is to cart a box of 155 to compare to the the others.

Call me crazy.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Call Me Crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 10:23:29 AM »
         With all the scales, test beds, trigger gauges, stands and so on for every way to test weapons, why has anyone figured a way to test for felt recoil? It's a matter of the pistol pushing back into your hand from the recoil, and the less felt is because of better springs. weight, and such. Like riding on bad shocks and spring and the upgrading to better ones, you feel less of the road? (I know as much about cars as long guns but this seems like the right comparison), Seems they should be able to take a pistol press/holder/clamp for testing POA and POI, and add a pressure pad instead of the rubber bit or if it doesn't' have a back then added a padded back with a pressure pad. Set up a Crony in front and test 2 things at once.

I maybe talking out of turn or my hat but they have gauges for almost anything, mech., electronic, laser, all sorts of gauges in all sorts of versions, why don't they have a gauge for recoil? It strikes me that recoil is about the single most important thing to take into account when you need/want a firearm, for protection, or competition.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

-dz-

Re: Call Me Crazy
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »
My 1911 a circa '80 Colt Combat Commander is kind of a boat anchor weight-wise but it sure is a fine shooting handgun. Before I bought a Taurus Tracker in 44 magnum, it was my "bear gun". I looked around at ammunition and decided the Hornady TAP in 200 grain which went 1055/494 would be the way to go. The only problem was the TAP is +P. I then decided to up-spring my recoil springs. The standard is 18 lb in the Commander. I tried the Wolff in 20 lb and 22lb. The 22 lb spring with the +P TAP was a fine combination in that the performance was very smooth and manageable. Who am I kidding? It felt great. I had to restrain myself from firing all the ammo I had purchased.

After the trip I had meant to remove the 22 lb recoil and firing pin springs because I thought it might be a little much for target ammo. For some reason I thought it might create a jamming issue. As luck would have it, I got distracted and forgot to remove the springs. the next time I went to the range I had a 100 round box of the Winchester USA 230 grain target ammo and I thought, "What the heck."

Not only did it not jam, it was more manageable than ever. In fact I posted a target in another thread somewhere around here.

Wolff doesn't make springs for the RAMI (asked a year or so ago), but I would think a stiffer set of springs would really help in the recoil department. I would think it would help too if you had the 9mm and were or wanted to use the +P ammo.

(that's called going the long way around the bush).