Author Topic: OACL for the Caanil S-120  (Read 4352 times)

Offline K-Texas

• Howdy from the Heart of Texas!
OACL for the Caanil S-120
« on: August 25, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
Hey guys, I've been registered for a while but somehow haven't posted until a few minutes ago. I am a fan of CZ 75s like some are for the 1911. My last CZ was a P-01 I let go to a brother that definitely needed a pistol upgrade. I currently do not own a CZ pistol, but that's about to change, sort of!

The problem for me are the CZ short chambers. With the P-01 and the REM 124 gr. JHP, Max Possible OACL was 1.127" and I made my handloads @ 1.122"/28.5mm. So far I haven't found anything definitive, but I think I'm going to gamble on a Canik S-120. I have a TP9sa that I have been very pleased with. I've had a parted with a REM R1 in the past year and I really want to go back to the 75 platform, especially with all of the aftermarket goodies now available from CGW.

So, the question: do any of you handload 9 x 19mm for the Canik copies? Typically, I like to load 124 gr. JHPs out to 1.142"/29mm and up to 1.161"/29.5mm for the 147 gr. JHPs. I gambled with the TP9sa and it will take loads as long as I want them. So I'm hoping that Canik throated the 75 copies similarly. I'm betting they did, but all input is appreciated! :wink:

Offline noylj

Re: OACL for the Caanil S-120
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 12:55:22 AM »
First: it used to be COL (Cartridge Overall Length).
Second: I have two CZ-75s (not CZ-75Bs) and they are throated as long as any other 9x19 I have.
I'm sure you know, but any gunsmith can lengthen the throat for you. Take the loads you like and have them cut the barrel for you, if your gun won't "plunk" them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 12:59:07 AM by noylj »

Offline K-Texas

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 04:06:53 PM »
First: it used to be COL (Cartridge Overall Length).
Second: I have two CZ-75s (not CZ-75Bs) and they are throated as long as any other 9x19 I have.
I'm sure you know, but any gunsmith can lengthen the throat for you. Take the loads you like and have them cut the barrel for you, if your gun won't "plunk" them.

Used to be it wasn't referred to as many different mathematical possibilities as exist for the 3 letters. For clarity I use OACL: Over-All Cartridge Length.

So, you're saying that Pre-B CZ75s were throated longer? I've been aware of this issue about as long as the 75B has been in existence, and no one I know that's had it done has been completely satisfied with the accuracy result after having a gunsmith cut a longer throat.

I've always suspected that this resulted from when CZ, then imported by Magnum Research, offered the 75 in 9 x 21mm where the only real difference was the barrel, obviously chambered and throated for 9 X 21mm and the recoil spring of heavier weight.

Springfield Armory XD and XDm pistols are also throated short in 9mm, as I'm sure you are aware as a member at XD Talk. It's the only reason I don't own one today. These are not the only 2 brands that do this, I just don't have any interest in the others that do. There ain't much that I will buy knowing in advance that it will need a trip to the gunsmith.

Lastly, if we're gonna get technical, I asked about the Canik S-120 and not the CZ75. :wink:
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 04:19:40 PM by K-Texas »

Offline noylj

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 07:57:25 PM »

For over 40 years of my life, it has been COL.
Think it was Dillon I first saw OAL many years ago, and I wondered--everything has an OAL but only a cartridge has a COL...

>So, you're saying that Pre-B CZ75s were throated longer?

Nope, make no claim other than for me, two out of two CZ-75s have used the same COL as all my other 9x19s, which has been a longer COL than most folks use for their 9x19 rounds. In fact, the only issue I ever had was a 1911 in 9x19 that had a really short throat, and I got a new barrel for it as the old one had other issues besides the throat.
I do know that both CZs are the most accurate over-the-counter 9x19s I have.

Offline K-Texas

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 08:09:40 PM »
Well, noylj, I really like the 75B, and I'd like to own a P-09 as well. The situation I described for the P-01 I had is consistent across the board for CZ 9mms.

I'm getting close to a year now with a Canik TP9sa that isn't limited as far as throat length. For accuracy and velocity I like to load at 1.142"/29mm with 124 gr. JHPs or 125 gr. RN-SWC coated. Depending on powder and such, I load 147 JHPs at least that long or to 1.161"/29.5mm if necessary. I didn't know how the Canik was throated when I ordered it, but it was the first thing I checked upon arrival. Like a German P-226 or Glock 19 & 17s, the throat allows for an OACL longer than what will work in the mags or the SAAMI Max Spec for 9 x 19mm OACL @ 1.169".

With the price advantage of the Canik, I'm willing to gamble that it is not throated as short as the 75B, etc. Accuracy wise, the guys that own both report little or no difference.  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:09:57 AM by K-Texas »