Author Topic: New 712 g2 3 gun shotgun issues  (Read 9973 times)

Offline Dvrdwn72

New 712 g2 3 gun shotgun issues
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:46:35 AM »
Got a new cz 712 g2 and it does not cycle shells reliably.
Slugs and buckshot it does fine, just nothing at or under 1200 fps. Anybody have any suggestions? Gas ports?

Offline Texasrpbrock

Re: New 712 g2 3 gun shotgun issues
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 04:04:20 PM »
Just got a new Target G2 myself. Had whatever grease/oil they use at the Huglu factory to prevent rust on every surface. Good idea to use a solvent (I use carb cleaner) to strip all that crap off everything from the trigger assembly/bolt/piston, etc. I then used a liberal coating of Rem oil on pretty much everything. Dry cycled it several times on the bench to make sure it would cycle. It finally started loosening up. I left the heavy coat of Rem oil in it, took it to the range and it ran thru everything I dropped in it. After the break in, clean all the excess oil off and run it. Bet it makes a difference. Also make sure your gas ring gaps are 180 degrees apart from each other. Hope it helps. Mine is running like a champ now.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 04:20:48 PM »
I've cleaned it, oiled it, got a little better. I'll run some hotter stuff through it and clean and oil again. Maybe after 200 rounds she will loosen up.
Thank you

Offline tjfla

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 08:32:40 AM »
Dvrdwn72,
Have you had a chance to find out if further break-in has improved reliability of your 712?
I bought 2 of them and neither one would eject or cycle. Tried 4 different makes and only 2 of about 30 rounds even cleared the chamber on ejection. Never got either one to cycle a new round into the chamber.
Called CZ and they sent me labels to return both for repair. Got them back with comment that they adjusted gas and replaced one ejector. They also said that the minimum load for this gun is 1 1/8 ounce, 1,200 fps. (would be nice if they put this in the manual or marketing info)
The load recommendation proved accurate when I shot them after repair. I tried various makes and loads and one gun was fairly consistent in ejecting and cycling with anything matching the recommended minimum. Buckshot worked every time.
The other gun failed to eject or cycle a couple times. I ran out of shells before I could decide whether they were "cured". I do plan to do more break-in to find out.
Definitely not able to rely on them for self-defense yet, but I'm optimistic.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
I have not yet had a chance to run it. My issue was failure to feed, ejection was good.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
Ok, had an opportunity to run it this past weekend. As far as ammo,, forget any of the wally world value packs. It does not like the cheap shells at all, then again those are for the budget Mossburgs or pumps anyway For a few cents more per box I ran some winchester super targets, out of 80 or so had 1 or 2 not fully eject, gun feels like it getting broke it, starting to run smooth. Bythe time I got down to the box it started shooting in bursts,, yes, bursts. I've tried to reproduce it but could not. Yes, there was a few buddies watching too. I've got it at a Smith right now, for a once over. What I did do for about 2 months, I kept the bolt locked back, and cleaned it really well. Seels like it's loosening up,, starting to enjoy it now.

Offline Texasrpbrock

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:25 PM »
I think it's the luck of the draw. I'm no expert whatsoever. But mine from the start can run the cheap Wally packs and it's eaten through several boxes of Estate target loads. I'm betting that yours is tight and after a season of shooting it will loosen up and become as reliable as an old 1100. It's a simple design and probably will last forever. It's definitely a different animal. But I like mine because it's a diffent experience than my American made shotties. All you can do is keep loosening up or kick it to the curb. But I'm betting with a little more shooting you're gonna fall in love with it. I love the simplicity of mine. Glad to hear it's getting better! Don't give up on it yet!

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:25 PM »
Nah, I'm not 1 to give up. Out of all the cz's I've got this 1 is the only 1 that seems to require a bit of time. My friend, who is also a shotgun guru/Smith just called and said same thing. He had 1 failure with the federal and none with the super target. Said run  another  100 rounds and will probably be fine, still seemed a little tight. All in all I really like this shotgun. I'll report back in a week or so after I have time to run it hard again.

Offline Texasrpbrock

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 06:42:50 PM »
The only problem I've found with mine is not enough time to try to wear it out!!!