Author Topic: May I ask this here?  (Read 7752 times)

Marvin the Martian

May I ask this here?
« on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »
Revolvers,  have  I got  this right? Ruger,  CZ,  S&W  equals magnum calibers  good  to  go. Taurus  and Rossi, use .38  special  in .357 magnum and .44  special in .44  magnum.  THank  you  in  advance.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: May I ask this here?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:01:48 AM »
I am not sure if you are asking if some .357/44 revolvers are safe.  Any gun that chambers the .357 will fire the 38 spl safely.  The same goes for the 44 mag and 44 spl.  While I do not care for Tarus, there are a lot of happy owners around.  There are also some unhappy ex-owners too.

Marvin the Martian

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
I'm  thinking  life  span-wise(pistol).  My  ideation is that  a  poorer  person  could buy  a  Taurus  or  Rossi magnum  revolver  but shoot 38  special  and  .44  special,  respectively. Doing  this might  help  a  lower grade  revolver(not  CZ,  Ruger,  or  S&W)to give  decades  of  active  service to a  poorer  person.

Offline newbuckeye

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:19:34 PM »
I don't know about decades when buying a lower quality firearm unless it is hardly ever used.  With guns, I always think long term.  You have to find the happy medium between what you can afford and how you will use it.  I am a fan of Ruger and S&W because they go the distance.  My advice is to save up a little longer and get a high quality brand rather than jump too soon and buy something inferior.
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect their country from its government."  Thomas Paine

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
I have to agree with NewBuckeye about the American guns.  A local gunstore will have used guns that will save you quite a bit and allow you to get a better gun for your investment.  Colt, Ruger, S&W will hold their value much better than those others too.  If anyone knows of an old Ruger that was worn out, please speak-up.
Shooting 38's out of a .357M is definitely cost effective, pleasant to shoot, and less wear and tear on your body and the gun.  If you are going to shoot a lot there is more savings to be had by reloading.  You can make 357M wadcutters, they are easy to make and they go all the way thru a paper target (or a tin can for that matter).   

CZ04FT

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 09:47:05 AM »
I have a Ruger GP-100 with a 4 inch barrel, stainless steel. It is a beautiful gun, as heavy as sin, and dead on accurate. If I do shoot 38 SPL rounds in it, I follow those with just as many .357 rounds. The 38 SPL (range ammo) is dirty and leaves burn marks of the gun. The .357 burns much cleaner.

While I do like the GP-100, I'm having arthritis problems with my hands. I can't shoot the GP-100 for very long. And most often I'm shooting SA.

I'm glad I selected the CZ 75 B 9 mm for my first semi-automatic. Price wise, the CZ is one of best buys on the market. I bought the Kadet Conversion to allow me to shoot the cheaper .22 LR ammo. I waiting for supplies to increase so that I can purchase a decocker model, either the CZ 75 BD or the CZ 75 D PCR in 9 mm. If the CZ Duty P-07 was approved for sale in California, I would consider it as well.

I think you have a lot of choices in the CZ family. You should find a model that fits your intended use. And if supplies increase soon, you should find one at a reasonable price.

Offline newbuckeye

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
CZ is def a brand that has stood the test of time for quality.  They have also had their problems, but not like some others.  I got a good price on a SP101 at a gun show from an older man that had arthritis problems and couldn't handle the recoil of the 357, or the weight of the Sp101. 
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect their country from its government."  Thomas Paine

CZ04FT

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
I use a two handed grip, so holding the CZ 75 hasn't been a problem. The CZ is lighter than the GP-100. Also, I thought about learning to shoot left handed. It will give my right hand some rest, and give me experience with controls by the left hand. The arthritis hasn't effected the left as severely as my right. It might prolong my range time. I don't want to give my son all my guns just yet.