Author Topic: Recoil Spring  (Read 10065 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Recoil Spring
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:36:31 AM »
                I got this by way or email today, and apparently his msg was blocked, and I have no idea why it would be. CZ-RAMI-2075 possibly posted and answer which is why I posted his name.

I can't help this gentleman but I do know at least a couple of you can, so I'm posting his email question here. If I knew for sure what pistol he was asking about I would be happy to post his question on that board also. Anyway here is his Question:

"I have arthritic hands and am having difficulty racking the slide.  I want to keep the gun but have to find a way to reduce the effort needed aside from pulling back the hammer.  Can I use lighter springs as long as I use standard loads such as 115gr blazer and 124 federal. Thanks.

PS.  I had to send it this way since my message was blocked."

I really don't have a clue why his message was blocked and I apologize, unless he got us mistaken for the other forum, not that it matters, we will help anyone that asks for help with their CZ's, DW's and BRNO's. Come to think of it I don't even know his member S/N so I can only hope he reads this.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Recoil Spring
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »

"I have arthritic hands and am having difficulty racking the slide.  I want to keep the gun but have to find a way to reduce the effort needed aside from pulling back the hammer.  Can I use lighter springs as long as I use standard loads such as 115gr blazer and 124 federal. Thanks.

Try this method;  A right handed shooter would start with the pistol held at chest height, pointed down range in front of him.  While keeping the muzzle down range, turn 90 deg. to the right.  Your left elbow should now be pointing at the targets (along with the muzzle).
You now have your upper body strenght available to rack the slide.  With a little pratice you will push the slide stop up with your right thumb and lock the gun open.
I put a DPM recoil reduction guide rod in my 75 recently.  It reduced the force needed to pull the slide back by 20%.   It cost $75 + S&H.  There is no differance in function with the Remington ammo that I have been using.
http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=167&products_id=976

bimmerland

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
I am the one who posted the message.  I wanted to know if I can put lighter springs in for both recoil and hammer to make it easier to rack the slide.  I normally use 115gr CCI blazer and occasionally 124gr federal.  Will lighter springs cause any reliability issues.   On a second note took it out to the range for the first time today and used the hammer cocked method which helped in racking the slide.  Only issue I had was 3 FTE's in 300 rounds but other than that it performed well.  Did a thorough cleaning including getting behind the extractor and hope that solve the FTE issue.  Thanks

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
Hi  bimmerland:

Glad you found where I left your post, and I saw you also posted in the correct spot for your particular pistol. Thanks again for joining and I do apologize for missing you email note yesterday. Please let us know how things went at the range, or if you have anyother questions or helpfull advise then please feel free to post either or both.

Happy Holidays

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bimmerland

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
I did post my results today at the range.  I had 3 FTE's in 300 rounds.  This gun shoot amazingly well and it feels like a .22 as far as recoil is concerned.  I did another thorough cleaning when I got home.  Will see if that fixes the 3 FTE's.  Since the gun is practically new I figure it just needs some range time.  If you know any extractor issues let me know and I can get a new spring.  Have a great Holiday...  Thanks... Skip

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:42:25 PM »
If its a 75B, then I'm betting it came with a 17lb recoil spring. You can take it down to 13lbs and it will function perfectly. As for the main hammer spring, thats starts as a 13lb, and I took it down to 11lbs. Changing these springs made a world of difference. This could also take care of your FTE problem since there is more rearward force, which will send the shells-a-flyin'. The CZ line is made for 124grn NATO ammo, which has a slightly higher powder charge, I'm betting you had no FTE while shooting the 124 grn.

As for racking the slide with weak hands or arthritis, try this:

1. Hold the pistol in the hand you fire it with. For example, your right hand.
2. Bring the pistol in front of your stomach, with it pointing toward your left arm.
3. Place your left hand at the rear of the slide, and your forearm on top of the slide.
4. Push forward with your right hand until the slide is fully to the rear, now you can procede in 2 different methods
4a. Raise your forearm and release the slide quickly.(if loaded, this will chamber a round, point in safe direction)
4b. Press the slide release upward to catch the slide. You can now insert a mag and release the slide at your leisure via the slide release.

Be sure to practice this with an unloaded weapon before loading.

bimmerland

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:02 PM »
Thanks... I jumped the gun anyway and ordered a 12lb recoil and a 15lb hammer since I was told the original was 14 lb recoil and 20 lb hammer by others on the forum.  Hope this turn out well for me.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
         Tell you want. IF the spring(s) you bought don't fix your problem, then PM me and I will pay to replace them for the ones AVM suggests. Only caveat is that you use the same 2 types of ammo to try the springs with.

bimmerland

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 01:39:22 PM »
Thanks for the offer.  As soon as the wolf springs come in I will let you know the results.

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »
On a second note took it out to the range for the first time today and used the hammer cocked method which helped in racking the slide. 
Glad I could be of some help. This is a 75B, right? I'm so surprised that you are having any issues at all. Everything I have tried has worked, but I haven't tried the 147g (I think) stuff. I'm taking some 124 +P LE stuff out on Monday. I'm excited to check that stuff out!

bimmerland

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »
Yup a CZ75B dated 2004.  Ran about 300 ruonds of CCI 3509 9MM aluminum and had 3 FTE's with stock springs.  Other than that it is a tack driver and recoil is same as my Ruger mark II.  Love the gun.  Only other thing would be a better rear site for my old eyes.  A little blurry for me compared to my P228.

b5.5dan

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:38 PM »
My 75 never (and I mean never) balked at a singe kind of ammo, but not a single other pistol I have (including my other CZs) liked the CCI. No CCI, Blazer. I will be interested to see how your problem turns out.

Good Shooting!

b5.5dan

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
I'm unlocking this because I think I may have accidentally locked it while replying on my phone. If that was not the case, I apologize to the Admin or Mod who locked it to begin with...  :rolleyes: :grin:

bimmerland

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:28 PM »
Thanks for the unlock.  My reply is that I have used CCI 3509 in both my G19 and P228 with over 2K rounds and no failures at all.  Since this is a heavy gun and heavy slide the CCI ammo might be a little weak for the stock springs.  My idea is to increase rack speed by reducing recoil spring size thereby possibly eliminating FTE's.  What do you think of this idea?

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 08:46:28 AM »
Please do not attempt to modify the stock spring. It is made for heavy battle loads. Buy a 13lb spring from cz customs and it will cure your fte problem with low power domestic ammo. It will also cure the "Muzzle slap" and enable you to have faster followup shots as it wont take as long to re-acquire your sight picture.