Author Topic: Firing Pin sticking out  (Read 5839 times)

speedpower

Firing Pin sticking out
« on: June 28, 2011, 01:21:25 AM »
I have a CZ75 Compact .40 S&W, I have shot 450 rounds through it, I recently just cleaned and lube the gun after the last range session, I noticed the the firing pin is sticking out about 3/16 of an inch where it is suppose to be sticking out enough for the hammer to strike it, any idea what happened? anybody experience this? I try to post a picture tomorrow.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Firing Pin sticking out
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:53:27 AM »
I'm not sure how that could happen unless the "firing pin coiled pin" had been removed. It goes through the slide just in front of the rear sight.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

speedpower

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Just took the firing pin out of the slide and I noticed that the firing pin retaining roll pin is broken causing the FP to stick out, anybody experienced this? Now I know why CZ Custom shop sells the SOLID version of the retaining pin, looks like it will be worth the investment.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:32:48 PM »
      In this case yes about both the solid pin and the investment.
      I'm not an engimanear or nothing Fancy like that, but I seem to recall reading or hearing that a tube sometimes has more strength than a solid in some applications. And the other reason I believe they went (and when I say they I mean every firearm mfg with the possible exception or the custom builders,) to the roll pin was because it came in one width and then customer doing his own Gunsmithing didn't have to worry about which end of the pin went in first and from which side.

If anyone doesn't know this bit most solid pins are tapered but because they are so small and the taper is on scale to the size of the pin, that they can only (technically) be put in one way and no one had to worry about it after than because of certain friction and physics mumbo jumbo kept them there. But folks like y'all and me we didn't know this and when they wouldn't go in (the pins I mean) we got out the High precision 3 lb sledge and tapped the pin into the hole. Which caused no end of problems the next time they tried to take the weapon apart. So someone came up with the roll pin. stick that baby in either side, use a pin punch of the ends to spread them out and bingo not so many problems any more.

Gee was that a fun class or what? Ya ya I don't want to hear any "or whats" out of anyone.  :laugh:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
Absolutely, the roll pin (cz term coiled pin) is like a spring and always fills the hole whereas a solid or tampered pin can get loose after a removal or two. Yes they are very hard and thereby can sometimes break. If you had removed the pin and firing pin and then did not have the firing pin far enough in when you replaced the roll pin, then the first time you pulled the trigger the firing pin would have snapped the roll pin.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

speedpower

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
The Roll pin did not actually break in half, it chipped off right in the middle leaving only half moon right in the center of the roll pin, that is why the firing pin is sticking out because there is no material on that part of the roll pin that holds the Firing Pin in place, the only mechanism holding it is the Firing Pin block that means it is a little too hard that became brittle! and that is only after exactly 450 rounds plus a few dry fire.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:25 PM »
Wow, thats just crazy.

bre346

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:39:40 PM »
The Springfield XD has a roll pin for that too, and dry-firing beats on it hard. Many replace it with a long-lasting hard pin.