Author Topic: Sticky bolt on 452?  (Read 7737 times)

teamnoir

Sticky bolt on 452?
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
I couldn't understand the model specific forums, so I'll just post here.

I've recently received a new CZ-452 Silhouette and the bolt is sticky.  That is, it mostly works, but periodically, about 1 in 5 rounds or so, the bolt won't lock down easily.  I have to break position, clamp the thing under my arm, and jam it to get it locked down.  When it gets in this state, it's kinda sticky to lock the bolt down - it doesn't go down smoothly, but rather jumpy, perhaps as though parts that should be lubed aren't or some such.

Does anyone recognize this behavior or know what I need to do to get it firing normally?  Or should I just send it back as defective?

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Sticky bolt on 452?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
I've never heard of a 22 rifle with a bolt that hard to close. Have you tried it without a round chambered? Have you tried it without the magazine? Also, look closely at where the bolt handle contacts the receiver, which acts as a locking lug would on a CF rifle. I would look for a milling burr or other overlooked machining flaw. I haven't owned a 452 but they are similar to a Rem 541-S that I have and it does have a very tight bolt (but not rough). Stay in touch.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

teamnoir

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:13:23 PM »
Have tried empty, similar results.  Have tried many times with snap caps/dummies thinking maybe it just needed to be worked in.  Have probably a few hundred manual open/closes now and over 300 rounds on the rifle but it doesn't seem to be improving much, if at all.

I think it's going back to the store and maybe cz.  I'm not sure I'd recognize a burr if I saw one.

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
It is unusual to have that problem. They are usually just stiff when new. I suggest that you dismantle the bolt and completely degrease it, then degrease the bolt way and examine every surface.

Use a nylon M16 brush (looks like a toothbrush) and cotton buds for tricky degreasing tasks, rather than metal scraping tools.

My best guess is that there is a piece of machining swarf inside the bolt, but take your time and lay out all the parts carefully in a tray as you go. Best to grab two plastic meat trays and lay a piece of paper towel in the bottom of each. Use the good stuff that they print the pretty pictures on. NOT because it has the pretty pictures but because it gives off less dust, absorbs oil/solvent and doesn't fall apart straight away.

Put all the metal parts (except the barrelled receiver) into tray No.1. Take them out one at a time and clean them, when they are clean ... put them in the second tray.

Inspect as you go and inspect again after evrything appears clean. If it is a piece of swarf it would be very easy to miss it first time around.

NB If you use the paper towel all the parts will be visible. I used to put gun parts straight down on the bench or on any old rag that was handy. Perfectly ok for fully assembled bolts, backsights, etc but when I took things apart I was constantly wasting time trying to find everything in order to put it back together.

Good luck
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
It is unusual to have that problem. They are usually just stiff when new. I suggest that you dismantle the bolt and completely degrease it, then degrease the bolt way and examine every surface.

Use a nylon M16 brush (looks like a toothbrush) and cotton buds for tricky degreasing tasks, rather than metal scraping tools.

My best guess is that there is a piece of machining swarf inside the bolt, but take your time and lay out all the parts carefully in a tray as you go. Best to grab two plastic meat trays and lay a piece of paper towel in the bottom of each. Use the good stuff that they print the pretty pictures on. NOT because it has the pretty pictures but because it gives off less dust, absorbs oil/solvent and doesn't fall apart straight away.

Put all the metal parts (except the barrelled receiver) into tray No.1. Take them out one at a time and clean them, when they are clean ... put them in the second tray.

Inspect as you go and inspect again after evrything appears clean. If it is a piece of swarf it would be very easy to miss it first time around.

NB If you use the paper towel all the parts will be visible. I used to put gun parts straight down on the bench or on any old rag that was handy. Perfectly ok for fully assembled bolts, backsights, etc but when I took things apart I was constantly wasting time trying to find everything in order to put it back together.

Great instruction on disassembly and cleaning ZG47. I'd like to add one extra step I like to take when dissasembly goes beyond field stripping. Lay the parts out in the order or pattern in which they are removed. Reassembly then is to simply reverse the order. This can help especially with different length screws, springs, pins etc.

Good luck
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »
Thank you and Good Point

Unfortunately, I have found that people sometimes take unintended offence to written advice (treating it as condescending), even when they would be happy to accept the same advice in verbal form. Makes me want to bang their heads against a wall, but I don't!

In future, I will try to ensure that my written advice is the same as my verbal advice.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:37 AM »
At 16 I accepted very little advice; verbal, written or otherwise, because I already knew everything:grin:
At 21 when I got married (first time) I began the long process of learning to accept advice. Believe it or not, occasionally she was right:shocked:
At 31 (second marriage) with 2 boys in the house, I was giving advice, accepting advice and disputing advice all at the same time.  :huh:
At 41 my teen boys were very much in the need of advice; however, as with me, by that age they already knew everything:cool:
At 51, I was divorced a second time with an even bigger settlement, the boys were married and I was hitting the tavern most every evening.  :cry:
(I was beginning to realize that I needed some advice.)
At 62 I now accept all the advice I can get, be it verbal or written, because I finally came to realize how little I really know.  :sad:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 08:25:01 AM by DeeDubya »
DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »
     True words, but I do know how ZG47 feels, I simply say hello to someone and instantly they are all up my grill for some reason. Never figured out how I managed to mess up hello so badly but it still happens even now even on my own forum. Go figure.  :angel: :grin:
    Oh wait I just reread his post. I get that reation wether it's spoken or written. So I win! oh wait ummmm or is that losing? oh well all I can do is try to play nice with the other kids and try to stay out of fights.  :rolleyes: :sad:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice