Author Topic: Shopping for a CZ  (Read 6344 times)

commandoplug

Shopping for a CZ
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
Hello all, well I'm going crazy trying to decide on which to purchase. A CZ SP-01 Phantom or the FNH FNX-9 both have rave reviews and I've looked just about everywhere for as much info as possible. My criteria: 9mm, hi cap. mag, comfortable, accurate, economical, full size to sub-compact. I prefer full size but, would like the ability to CCW if desired. Unfortunately no one in my area as either one (south Mississippi) so I can't fondle either. If anyone has any input on either or both I would really appreciate it. This would be for the purpose of home defense and hitting the range for some fun. Last pistol I had was a Sig P226 years ago when I was in law enforcement and I loved it but, can't afford one of those. Thanks

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Shopping for a CZ
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 09:50:41 PM »
    I personally have 4 SP-01 Shadow's and I would carry any one of them as a ccw or as a duty weapon. I carried a CZ 75 (Pre-Ban) as my Duty weapon 7 days a week for years, both on the job and as a ccw. I have never had a CZ anything fail on me ever. The main difference between the 75 and the SP-01 Phantom is that the Phantom is about a third lighter than I presume the SP-01 Shadow.
      Regarding the FNH FNX-9 I have NO experience with it or any other FNH weapon made. So I can’t make a comparison one against the other. However this I can say with a high level of confidence that the CZ is sold to more Police and Military agencies around the world than any other handgun manufacturer in the world. There is some indication that the CZ is actually sold more than any other 2 Manufacturers combined. It is just not that well known in the US. And myself and others are trying to correct that with this and other forums.
      I could add that I have little reason to wish to support the French in any way at all whether it be food drink or weapons, But that just me and I have said I don’t intend partaking in PC Correctness. And not to put too fine a point on it this is the CZ Forum site.
      I certainly hope this has been of help to you in your decision making process. And while I am chatting to you I wish to welcome you to the forum and I am sure you will find a lot of great people here all willing to help each other and yourself.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:56:38 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

commandoplug

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:40 AM »
Thanks, GW. I really think the SP-01 is the way to go (all metal) but, thought it might be a little big and heavy for CCW. I also prefer the manual safety. I did not know about the French thing. I knew that they were out of Belgium and had a plant in the USA. Thanks for the Information. I'm gonna see if I can find someone around the Mobile, AL area. Their pretty close to me, just so I can get a feel.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:04:11 PM »
Shiny. Good idea, always see if there is a way to handle the weapon before you buy as you certainly already pointed out. After all it will be not only an investment but after that it becomes yours and if you can't live with it then you only endanger yourself or others. What I mean is that if it is to heavy for you personally to carry it CCW especially for long periods of time, two things happen, You either stop carrying it except when you think you have to, which generally in Murphy's world means that will be when you really need it and don't have it. Or you simply begin to dislike the weapon which makes you distrust the weapon and so you don't practice with it as much as you should. I really don't know about FN's. They are without a doubt a worldwide well know manufacture of weapons. Don't take what I think as the end all be all opinion.

I simply have carried CZ for the last 30  years most all of them have been in the CZ 75 class and I think the SP-01's are maybe a bit heavier, I have them also and I have carried them, Just not as long term as the 75. Best wishes.

BTW I'll give you an example of not trusting a weapon because you don't like it. I was advised to buy a S&W Agent Airweight (.38) snuby as a back up so I did, But as I used it on the range more and more I began to seriously dislike it. It is now a loaded paperweight that I keep as a reminder to try first buy later.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

commandoplug

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:31 PM »
Well I finally got to feel a couple today. The CZ 75B and the FNX-9. I loved the way the CZ felt in my hand very comfortable but, a bit heavy. The FNX felt good but, not as good as the CZ. It was however much lighter which I did like. Have not been able to find a phantom to hold but, on paper the weight is very close to the FNX. I did like the sights on the FNX very large three dot. The CZ had 3 dot night sights but, much smaller. A little more pondering and pricing I suppose.

commandoplug

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:40:52 PM »
How about the feel of the P-07 Duty as compared to the Phantom. Weights are close but, the grip is totally different. Just curious if anyone has these two and can reflect some input. Comfort and price very important for me.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »
See if you can find a RAMI, Either the RAMI P or the RAMI. Compacts, 9mm, the polymer frame version of the CZ 2075 RAMI, The RAMI P is a subcompact semiautomatic comes in 9mm and .40. Personally not a fan of .40’s but a lot of folks are. I have the RAMI P and I like it. Check out CZRAMI’s post he cover them very well. That and he actually started the entire CZForum.com and the forum. It does have a rather short grip but the extended mag more than makes up for that. Or you could look at the CZ 75 D PCR Compact, very shiny. Like I said I Really like my Shadows but they may be to heavy for CCW. I am 60 and overweight so maybe that why they don't bother me. I'm just trying to be as honest about everything as I can be. I don't know how much of a hurry you are in. Actually you could maybe check out the next gun show in your area and see if you can find someone selling CZ’s. Not a big market here in Central Florida but hey it is after all Central Florida and Mickey Mouse rules apply. What can I say?

undrlord

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »
I was considering the FN for a while but have decided to go a different route.  I have held the FNP and the FNX, the FNX is the newest and the way the grip is designed is terrible.  It feels like it would rub your hand raw if you were to shoot a couple hundred rounds through it.  I liked the FNP a TON better.  Basically the same gun without the terrible grip.